Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LS1 Coil Harness help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Coil Harness help

I bought a LS1 crate long block and it came with "coil harness*". Notice the "*", the coil harness came in 10 individual bags (kit form I guess), with white wires coming out of each connector. I have searched and found the wiring diagrams that talk about color of wire and what they do. The diagrams are labeled with Letters for the pins, but I have not found anything to show which letters correspond with which pin on the coil or main connector.

I am told the motor came with old style coils, connector and spark plug wire are on the same side of the coil, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

PS. Carb because I want to and thank you to everyone that post here. All your questions, answers and opinions are priceless for all the projects like mine. Not sure I would have tackled this with out this site.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Coil Harness help-harness-kit.jpg   LS1 Coil Harness help-coil.jpg   LS1 Coil Harness help-ls1.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I would just be lazy and find some harnesses somewhere that I could throw on there for next to nothing. That is weird. Someone here MIGHT have some input, but I have yet to hear of that, so pretty lazy on the sellers part I think.

Thanks for the kind words btw, makes me feel like I did a great thing getting this section established here.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I did purchase a coil harness for an LS1 (and others LSx) off of e-bay. This is is when I learned that the old style coils have a Keyed connected and the harness I purchased was for top connector coils with out a keyed connector. I thought about putting the new ends on the old harness, but are the coils (old vs new style) pinned the same??
Old 12-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
makes me feel like I did a great thing getting this section established here.
Absolutely, Thank you
Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I think you have stock ls1 coils? There are 4 different coil types off the top of my head, you need to simply find the right harness if you do not want to make that pieced set work. Looks like a headache to me.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your coils look to be more like truck coils. I think I have a set of coil harnesses that will fit those. I'll trade my harness for what you have if you pay freight for both.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I am ok with what I have, they all work, lol.

I would shop for some factory harnesses if I was you.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I am ok with what I have, they all work, lol.

I would shop for some factory harnesses if I was you.
My post was for the OP, in case he didn't want to mess with building a setup. After looking a little closer at his coils, their not truck coils anyway.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Teching In

LS1MCSS: Thank you for a great offer! A couple days ago I would have jumped at it. I was able to find some information at:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...11200&start=20

A little over half way down this page, they talked about the pin out for this coil. Using the wiring diagram I found on this forum and my MSD 6010 installation instructions, I think I have it figured out. As you can see in the pic below I have not done anything permanent. If or should I say when it starts and runs, I will take this apart, shorten the wires and lay them out nice. Would like to run them under the coil mounting plate.

It will be a while before I get to find out, have to finish the steering, fuel system, accessorie............. you know what I mean. When I get everything to work I will document it here in case someone else ever needs the information ooorrrrrrrr I will be PMing LS1MCSS to see if he still has spare harness
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Coil Harness help-coil-harness-progress.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Graybeards64
LS1MCSS: Thank you for a great offer! A couple days ago I would have jumped at it. I was able to find some information at:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...11200&start=20

A little over half way down this page, they talked about the pin out for this coil. Using the wiring diagram I found on this forum and my MSD 6010 installation instructions, I think I have it figured out. As you can see in the pic below I have not done anything permanent. If or should I say when it starts and runs, I will take this apart, shorten the wires and lay them out nice. Would like to run them under the coil mounting plate.

It will be a while before I get to find out, have to finish the steering, fuel system, accessorie............. you know what I mean. When I get everything to work I will document it here in case someone else ever needs the information ooorrrrrrrr I will be PMing LS1MCSS to see if he still has spare harness
After getting a better look at your coils, I can see that they are LS1 coils and my harness is for truck coils. It won't fit yours.

Quick Reply: LS1 Coil Harness help