Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

What thermostat are you running in your carbed LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Florida so I run a 160; fans at 170. Because it never gets hot enough to cook the water out - every once in a while I let it get up to 210 or so - just to cook off some of that.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
My wifes VW ...
Well I think we have discovered the source of your problem

Seriously some cars have more issues with venting the crankcase than others. We had a Toyota minivan that was part of some type of class action lawsuit because the oil would sludge up and kill the motor if it wasn't changed precisely on schedule. Turned out they had some issues only on certain models with venting the crank case. Toyota was originally blaming it on improper maintenance and refusing to cover them under warranty. But they got so much bad press they ended up covering them anyway.

Any car that is only driven short distances all of the time will have issues with water condensation in the oil. It is hard for me to believe that a few extras degrees of radiator temp is going to make a difference in oil condensation.

And changing the oil more frequently is the answer to water condensation. That is part of the reason Mobil 1 says so many mile or so many months, and exactly why some of the Toyotas ate their motors in 10K miles while others lived normal lives.

Quick Reply: What thermostat are you running in your carbed LS swap