Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Stock LS2 intake/carb suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock LS2 intake/carb suggestions

Finally getting ready to purchase my intake and carb setup for my LS2 and was wondering what's the best options for a pure street car. Single or dual plane, mechanical or vacuum secondaries, 600,750 or larger cfm. Tell me what works best for you guys. It's going in a 79 Buick regal with either a 700r4 or 200r4 trans not sure what size stall to go with either. Thanks in advance for your input
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of good luck on street cars with the dual plane manifold. They cost more but add a bunch of torque down low. The common carbs ive seen on 6.0 engines is the Holley 750, and some guys are runnin them with good luck right out of the box. What ever you do tho stay away from the edelbrock timing box, the msd one is better all around. Check out the gear ratios between the 700 and 200 as I remember one is alittle bit steeper than the other. Im pretty sure they can both be built up enough for about equal cash. The stall also depends on your cam, type of use, vehicle weight, and rear gears. If your runnin a stock cam and highway gears in a average weight street only car (3200-3500 lbs) I think that will change your answer for a good stall speed. For a pure street car tho id say about a 3k-3400 rpm stall would be normal and fun enough, but thats a matter of opinion some will say higher (not many will say lower than 3k)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Launching!

I was planning on going with the msd 6012 box, not sure if I ever seen a edelbrock box for sale. Is it the one that comes in the combo set with the intake ?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess but somehow people still get the edelbrock and msd boxes mixed up. If your lookin for a good deal on the box and other parts get ahold of MikeFSKspeed hes a sponsor here and has really good deals. About the best prices around....
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

If you are running a stock cam, the dual plane is the way to go hands down. Mate that up with a Holley 3310 750 Vacuum secondary and you will be all set.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys, and skspeed does seem to have the best prices out there gonna go with him if I can't find any used parts
Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running an LS2 crate motor stock out of the box with the GM single plane that GM shipped it with and a Holley 750 DP mechanical secondaries. Took awhile to get the DP dialed in but it runs perfect now. AFR's run 14.7 at cruise and dip down to 13's with any throttle. Pulls clean from 1500 RPM, in fact I drive it around the neighbor hood at 1000 RPM in fourth gear. Running a pretty light car with manual trans.

You most def want a 750. Street avengers and HP carbs seem to do a little better right out of the box. If you get a DP then be prepared to play with air bleeds.

I'm not a fan of dual plane intakes on LS motors. These LS2 motors have plenty of bottom end. All the dual plane does is produce more torque than the tires can handle down low then choke off the motor up top keeping it from reving like it should. They put all roller valve trains in these for a reason. Plus dual planes weigh more and look ugly. Dual planes work great in 5.3 truck motors with their limited valve springs, but for an LS2 with the LS6 heads go for the airflow.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If you are running a stock cam, the dual plane is the way to go hands down. Mate that up with a Holley 3310 750 Vacuum secondary and you will be all set.
What he said, I'll take the 50 ft/lb or torque at 3000 rpm of the dual plane over the 10 hp at peak of the single plane. Of course a stock LS6 intake is looking pretty sporty too, but I know EFI costs more.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dual VS Single

That is crazy that at 4800RPM, the single plane starts to make more HP AND more torque the the dual plane. It is an excellent example of how purpose engineered each intake is! It also shows how well the LS6 intake in combination with EFI perform. Thank for sharing!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
What he said, I'll take the 50 ft/lb or torque at 3000 rpm of the dual plane over the 10 hp at peak of the single plane. Of course a stock LS6 intake is looking pretty sporty too, but I know EFI costs more.

Man, there is something seriously weird about the tuning or set up on the motor in that dyno chart. Look at the dyno curves GM published for their LS2 crate and HP is still climbing at 6300.

http://www.gmhorsepower.com/LS364.php

That motor seems to run out of breath around 6000. Also everything I have seen shows the carb intakes making a good bit more HP at upper and lower RPM's than the EFI intakes.

Maybe the guys doing that dyno run weren't very good at tuning carbs.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Man, there is something seriously weird about the tuning or set up on the motor in that dyno chart. Look at the dyno curves GM published for their LS2 crate and HP is still climbing at 6300.

That motor seems to run out of breath around 6000. Also everything I have seen shows the carb intakes making a good bit more HP at upper and lower RPM's than the EFI intakes.

Maybe the guys doing that dyno run weren't very good at tuning carbs.
This dyno chart looks like somebody drew it with a protractor and a pencil LOL. I think the first chart looks far more credible.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

750 vac sec with performer rpm.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Junkie

This dyno chart looks like somebody drew it with a protractor and a pencil LOL. I think the first chart looks far more credible.
That is right out of the GMPP catalog. I'm sure both charts are credible, but I posted the GM plot because that is the motor the OP has. Better shows him what he can expect.

LS2 has the better heads, bigger cam with matching springs and bigger bore than an LS1. All of these things contribute to more flow and RPM potential. A 10 HP difference doesn't translate across all motors, especially when the earlier dyno chart is showing some type of valve float and/or flow issue above 6K. Plus that is the first head to head comparison that showed EFI outperforming the carb intake everywhere. Something isn't right with that.

I mean you switched from a dual to a single plane cause your car didn't really handle the low end torque and the single plane improved your quarter mile times. The OP wants pure street car. He will need low end cause the car is heavy, but at the same time will he be able to put it down? Might as well shift some of the unusable low end for the occasional high end tire burning. Not to mention upgrade potential should he ever upgrade cams.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Launching!

Thanks again for the help guys. I'm going to go with the dual plane edelbrock intake ( looking for a used one if anyone has one ) and a 750 carb just not sure which one yet. I may upgrade the cam down the line depending on how much I like the stock setup, I'm guessing 400hp is enough for now but quite sure I will out grow it in time. Would the dual plane still be a good intake once I start playing with the cam and what not ( if I ever do )
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Old School Heavy

I mean you switched from a dual to a single plane cause your car didn't really handle the low end torque and the single plane improved your quarter mile times. The OP wants pure street car. He will need low end cause the car is heavy, but at the same time will he be able to put it down? Might as well shift some of the unusable low end for the occasional high end tire burning. Not to mention upgrade potential should he ever upgrade cams.
Not quite the complete story. At the track the car hooks dead with either intake. It is on the street that the low torque may be wasted. And, in the 1/8th mile, the car ran the same times with both intakes. However, in the 1/4 it was between .05 and .1 tenth quicker and it was about 1.5 MPH faster with the Victor Jr.

I think you really have to look at the whole setup to choose the intake. On automatics, I think it is all about the choice of torque converter. Anything with a 2500 RPM or below stall torque converter on a 6.2 or smaller I would absolutely choose the dual plane.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

That is right out of the GMPP catalog. I'm sure both charts are credible, but I posted the GM plot because that is the motor the OP has. Better shows him what he can expect.

LS2 has the better heads, bigger cam with matching springs and bigger bore than an LS1.
The chart I posted is a LS2 engine, it makes more power than the GM crate engine so therefore must have greater airflow through it.

There are variances in intakes, even though they are cast or injected, they can perform different.

I had a customer with a 402 and TFS 225 heads that ran strong. He pulled off a Fast 90 and installed a Victor Jr with a elbow and slowed down 4 tenths and 4 mph in the 1/4 mile. So the results of the above dyno test didn't shock me. Granted both engines had "EFI" style cams which obviously aren't optimum for a carb intake.

The best part about a carb intake for a street car is cost, especially if you don't have all of the supporting parts for EFI.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Just ordered performer rpm dual plane intake from sk speed, 230 shipped after 10% cupon. No turning back now I'm officially a carbed guy ! The rest of the site is gonna hate me so now you guys are my only freinds, sucks to be you !
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I think you really have to look at the whole setup to choose the intake.
We absolutely agree there
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Which 3310 should I go with, does it matter if its an older one or is new better ? Also I see them with different dash numbers 3310-1, 3310-2 and so on, what do these numbers mean and is there a certain one to stay away from. Looking to pick up a cheap used one and have it rebuilt

Quick Reply: Stock LS2 intake/carb suggestions