Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

A different fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A different fuel pump question

First my combo...I am installing a 2004 lq4 in my 67 Buick Sportwagon. I am using the Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 Ultra Street Avenger with a turbo 400 trans. Stock 317 heads for now. I will eventually cam it and give it some gear, right now i just want to get it back on the road.

Now for my problem. This wagon is very cramped underneath. The gas tank sits very low due to the storage area in the rear. Add in the spate tire well and the dual exhaust makes for cramped quarters. No room for a traditional style pump and canister filter. Are there any pumps better suited for pulling the gas rather than pushing? That would give me a lot more options on where to mount it. If not, what are some of the smaller pumps out there that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can fab, you could get a late model drop in pump/hanger assembly (with the flange) from a wreck and graft it to your tank. See article here...
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Do they make in-tank pumps for carb'd set ups?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

DOH! Forgot where I was for a moment. Right now, I'm looking at high pressure fuel pumps in anticipation of swapping to an EZ-EFI setup, that's why the brainfart... I had hell finding a pump that would actually suck fuel without being located below the inlet strainer and finally ended up with a Holley "black", Noisy as hell! If I were to do mine over, I'd use a high pressure late model like shown with a capable return regulator.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, like he said a FI pump works with a carb, you just need a return style regulator.

Summit makes in line filters in either 40 or 100 micron that aren't much bigger in diameter than a fuel line. You don't need to run a large canister.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 10-17-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find an inline walbro on summit for under $120. Plumb the return now and your good to go. They max at around 500 hp. You can expand to doubles later if you insist.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

The inline walbro looks like something i can work with a far as space is concerned, i just won't be able to get it lower than the tank. I can get it level with it, hope that will be enough.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lemans1
The inline walbro looks like something i can work with a far as space is concerned, i just won't be able to get it lower than the tank. I can get it level with it, hope that will be enough.

Thanks!
Hope it works for you. Not trying to be negative, but been there done that. My current Holley pump cannot be mounted below the bottom of the tank, it's about even with the 1/3 tank level and it does work. The $300 Barry Grant that I originally bought would NOT suck fuel at all (even with a full tank) even though mounted in the same location...

Quick Reply: A different fuel pump question