Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Header Gasket ?? RTV, MLS, ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Gasket ?? RTV, MLS, ??

Getting my headers coated and want to put them back on with no issues. I had gaskets before with some RTV, but was wondering if the MLS type with a little RTV would be a better set-up. What is the prefered method?? Flanges are nice and flat (headers are pretty new (Stainless). Thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We install the GM MLS gaskets dry and have no problems! I can however tell horror stories of all the cars that have come in over the years with funky O2 sensor problems due to gobs of RTV being installed on gaskets and getting into exhaust stream!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

I've know people that have used rtv Rtv or high tac just to hold the gasket in place. Its a pain to do this alone and bolt on the header without studs.

My recommendation is to bread tire the gasket on the two end holes of the header. This will align the gasket so you can start bolting it from the middle. Once you have the header hung loosely take off the bread ties and bolt the remaining two. Works like a charm!

Just my two cents
Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. May try the factory MLS Just need to get the part # I have L92 heads but think the ports are the same.

Quick Reply: Header Gasket ?? RTV, MLS, ??