Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Death of the Carb'd V8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Death of the Carb'd V8?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/10/t...mall-block-v8/

Rumor has it the next gen V8 will have direct injection and all sorts of other high tech induction parts. I suppose we could always pull all that chit off and go neanderthal on it, but damn, seems like a shame.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, the awesome functions and tune ability of the EFI are the primary reasons I went ls in the first place. I've had my Chevelle since I turned 16 nearly 11 years ago and I would rather sell it than go back to a carb.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Personally, the awesome functions and tune ability of the EFI are the primary reasons I went ls in the first place. I've had my Chevelle since I turned 16 nearly 11 years ago and I would rather sell it than go back to a carb.
I always liked you, but you leave us no choice...........
Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If it was only a toy it would be one thing, but I have done well to keep the car 100% daily driveable and dealing with a carb in the winter is enough to seal the deal and make me hate it.

I did it for a long time, but now that I've been rid of it for so long I could never go back. If I were going to have something carbed in the car it would have to be a nasty big block.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a funny thing about bitching about a carb in winter, either you suck at tuning, or you live far enough up north that you are a idiot for driving such a car where the salt on the road for the snow will destroy the car anyway. Just what my response is. After many a winter and no issues, idk what to tell people that have them in the cold. May have to pat the gas ever so tiny bit, but just for a second on my chokeless race carbs.

One guy was all kinds of bitching about flooding and the battery dying trying to get a carbed car to start, and the guy was allot older than me, so age does mean nothing in this world. Lol. But, efi is s ever so much better for letting the wife or kids drive the car it is swapped in, will deliver the slightly better fuel mileage. I want to try atomic efi on my 91.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good riddance carbs.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Who let the haters in? Zone, you need to issue passwords for this section.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Who let the haters in? Zone, you need to issue passwords for this section.
I AGREE. learn how to tune guys
Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, I love this section because many a dummy on tech stay out of here. I feed off the haters, and have drug many of them. Let them hate so long as they fear. Love the ones that cannot accept it is cheaper and cost effective to make power and you don't need a dyno tuner or efi live, blah blah....

Personally I think carbs look sexier as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Ill say to anyone who wants to bash carbs....

Lets line um up and put um in the beams.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my carbd setup works great in the winter. tap the accellerator once and its fires up on the first try everytime, let it idle up with the auto choke for a little bit and then tap the accell. again and it goes to normal idle.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 127 Likes on 114 Posts

I can tune it myself and don't need to mail off the computer or take to someone every time I make a change
Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

While I have driven carbed cars/trucks a lot in the past, I am just learning how to tune a performance carbed big block chevy - the ZZ502 in my Mongoose Grand Sport. It's fun to learn, and changing jets is a breaze. Now to get the timing light on it and get it right without the vacuum advance and so on.

P.S. Always looking for carb tuning tips
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug G
I can tune it myself and don't need to mail off the computer or take to someone every time I make a change

There is absolutely nothing like a 4bbl opening up WOT. I enjoy rebuilding them and tinkering. It is also cheaper too.

One thing that sucks though is that they will not pass inspection in NC. No OBDII = no go

For high HP applications it becomes very time consuming to do so with EFI instead of jetting carbs and adjusting floater heights and air/fuel mixes. One advantage i do enjoy is added individual cylinder control for timing and fuel curves with aftermarket systems. The only thing i dislike about EFI in high HP motors is that you can have an injector fail and a cylinder go dangerously lean. So there are gives and takes from both ends.

Another thing with EFI is that they are great for off camber or road racing.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 127 Likes on 114 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html

For EFI, a GM computer was reflashed with HP Tuners software to control 45 lb/hr injectors, a 90mm throttle body, a low-profile factory GM LS3 intake manifold, and the stock GM coil-ignition system. For the carbureted tests, we used a Holley HP 950-cfm carburetor on Edelbrock's new single-plane Victor Jr. intake for rectangular-port heads, plus a programmable MSD box to run the ignition coils.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...#ixzz26DNMU0xZ

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e.../photo_06.html

http://image.hotrod.com/f/techarticl...haft_test+.jpg
Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS10Tech

For high HP applications it becomes very time consuming to do so with EFI instead of jetting carbs and adjusting floater heights and air/fuel mixes. One advantage i do enjoy is added individual cylinder control for timing and fuel curves with aftermarket systems. The only thing i dislike about EFI in high HP motors is that you can have an injector fail and a cylinder go dangerously lean. So there are gives and takes from both ends.

Another thing with EFI is that they are great for off camber or road racing.

I can control individual cylinder timing with my carb setup...
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
I can control individual cylinder timing with my carb setup...
I would hope so. The point i was trying to make was individual cylinder fuel control in addition to timing.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tap the gas twice hit the key,hold idle at approx 1500-1800 for two mins and go.thats the routine I always use with choke less carbs.from my 730 lift full roller 12.1 481 bbc to my 300 hp crate in my hotrod.always works never floods never kills batteries.if you can tune a carb you'll have no prob.fi guys usually need somebody else to get em straight.there are some good guys out there,but most are scared to death of tuning carbs.btw fastest all motor cars in the world are carbed.just sayin.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
There is a funny thing about bitching about a carb in winter, either you suck at tuning, or you live far enough up north that you are a idiot for driving such a car where the salt on the road for the snow will destroy the car anyway. Just what my response is. After many a winter and no issues, idk what to tell people that have them in the cold. May have to pat the gas ever so tiny bit, but just for a second on my chokeless race carbs.

One guy was all kinds of bitching about flooding and the battery dying trying to get a carbed car to start, and the guy was allot older than me, so age does mean nothing in this world. Lol. But, efi is s ever so much better for letting the wife or kids drive the car it is swapped in, will deliver the slightly better fuel mileage. I want to try atomic efi on my 91.
I assure you it takes more than "patting the throttle ever so slightly" to fire my chokeless race carb in -30F. LOLZZZZZ. I gotta pump that bitch like twenty times until there is almost raw fuel running out the exhaust. And the salt on the roads will kill the body.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 AM
In-Zane Moderator

I drive nothing I would have ballz big enough to attempt to drive in neg 30. They are usually border line stripped and the heater works barely good enough for Texas winter, lol.

Quick Reply: Death of the Carb'd V8?