Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Death of the Carb'd V8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

When it gets cold, I have to richen mine up a whole point at idle to make it happy. Fortunately, it does not get cold around here very often.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
There is a funny thing about bitching about a carb in winter, either you suck at tuning,
It wasn't "horrible", and it was tuned just fine...but the carb was chokeless so you had to pump, then start it, then hold it up in the rpm for a minute or so, etc.

Now I can walk out reach my arm through the window, turn the key once and go my sissy *** back in the house while it warms up. Just one less hassle to me.

Originally Posted by Doug G
I can tune it myself and don't need to mail off the computer or take to someone every time I make a change
I can do the same. I can keep several tunes and load one in 60 seconds without popping the hood. But the best part? Unless I change a part, I don't have to because the PCM can adjust for changes in weather and elevation on its own.

Originally Posted by slinginrods
Tap the gas twice hit the key,hold idle at approx 1500-1800 for two mins and go...but most are scared to death of tuning carbs.btw fastest all motor cars in the world are carbed.just sayin.
I had to do the same and that's exactly what I was talking about. I also prefer to type keys instead of change jets (I always managed to get fuel everywhere) haha. One could also argue some guys are "too scared to learn to do a little wiring and use a computer program."

Another HUGE thing to me is being able to autocross and drive hard in corners without having flood or starvation issues.

People mention cost but it's no different than the cost to buy an intake, carb, jets, MSD box, etc to go carbed. And the computer software isn't a one car thing...I've tuned my car, my truck, my brothers truck, and even done some small tweaks on the side for profit.

BTW I wasn't bashing carbs guys, it's friendly conversation. Just stated, given the option I'd prefer to have EFI especially since it's so easy to make it work and all the stuff usually comes with the engine.

You are also correct it seems carbs are faster for all out race cars too so no argument there from me. But I'm talking about my street car which I happen to race sometimes.

And don't even get me started on how much I love computer tuning my transmission instead of dealing with governors and throttle cables and all that junk
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, the current 91 RS project will probably get atomic efi with the autocross in mind.

Quick Reply: Death of the Carb'd V8?