Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Another oil leak thread (sigh)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another oil leak thread (sigh)

Ok, my engine doesn't leak a drop while it's idling or revving in the shop, no leaks even after it sits for a while. But when racing, even after just a couple laps at speed, it starts to put out some oil. Seems to be coming from somewhere around the rear pass. side of the engine. It also tends to puddle around the top row of 8mm head bolts, mostly the two on the corners but it's hard to see the 3 center ones because of the intake gasket. To make matters worse, I'm running a belt drive PS/fuel pump off the back of the engine and where ever the oil is coming from is getting around the belt and getting slung EVERYWHERE and makes a huge mess, not to mention making it harder to locate the leak. This has happened in both the 5.3 block I first used and now the 6.0 block, all parts between the two engines are the exact same, just traded blocks.

The cam sensor hole at the rear is plugged with a press-in type freeze plug with sealant, the valley cover and the valve cover on the pass. side are both positively sealed with Ultra Gray silicone (no gaskets) and the oil pressure sending unit has been changed for an AutoMeter metric-to-pipe adapter with a copper sealing washer. New rear cover gasket and new rear main seal. Also, I'm using a Ohio 4340 crankshaft, I don't know if it has a plug in the rear or not, I never looked. It is gun drilled though, through the mains.

Between the mechanical fan at the front and the belt drive at the rear, plus the 7500+ rpm this thing sees, oil is just getting blown everywhere and I'm starting to pull my hair out over this. We did a 427 in a X block with the same crank as mine and nary a weep of oil anywhere out of it, but mine is a different story.

I'm just reaching out for ideas here. Anyone?

Quick Reply: Another oil leak thread (sigh)