Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Lq4 carb'ed help!!....newb

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 carb'ed help!!....newb

So I just recently got the mustang running..well I took it for its first drive around the block yesterday......everything seemed fine,didn't really romp on it..parked it yesterday..went out today,went to fire it up..it had trouble starting..barely start up,had to keep it running myself..it sounded like it was back fire a little..I smelled a raw fuel smell..when I went under the hood,the number 1&2 cylinder's header primary were cool compared to the others..so I was guessing it want getting fire on those 2 cylinders...pulled the plugs out of those 2 cylinders..they were soaked with fuel...so I cleaned them up,put them back in..it fired up,but still had to keep it running a little bit..it also still had the slight back fire..haven't had the chance to map my own timing on the 6010 box..I've just been running the pill curve 6...any ideas???....what would be a good jet size to start with?.running a quick fuel 750..would timing have any part in this problem...anything will help,I'm new to the carb set up..thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 AM

Are you still on individual coils? Try swapping those two with different cylinders? Could be a couple coils died and that would diagnose it
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Ya swap out the coil packs on each side and see if you have the 2 dead cylinders on the other side. Also ohm the plug wires for correct resistance. Start with the small things. If nothing changes you might start looking into valves/springs/rockers broken as a suggestion.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Timing could affect that as well as a mistuned carb. I assume it is cold in OK, so choke comes into play here as well.

I would start with a lower number pill, they tend to have less aggressive timing. I would also hook up a MAP sensor. They seem to help them idle. Check everything over for vac and fuel leaks. Set the float level, you can do it with the bowls off the carb. Adjust the accel pump linkage so you get a good shot with the slightest movement. Set fuel pressure to 6 psi.

If you look at the stickies a number of people have posted their carb set ups. You should be able to find someone with a set up close to yours. Use their jets, accel pumps and power valve set up.

Once all of that is done, get it warmed up to operating temp however you can and set the idle mixture screws and choke if you have one.

Now you are at the point where you can start actual tuning and/or trouble shooting fouled plugs.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

i appreciate all the help guys..i'm gonna check it out as soon as i get new an fittings..all 5 of the 90 degree an fittings i bought from summit are leaking..i guess its a common problem with the summit brand 90's..there leaking from the swivel part..i'm gonna exchange them for the russel brand..i'm hoping it's something easy as far as timing,carb, or coil issue..i'll let you guys know,and probably need more advise when its all said and done..

Quick Reply: Lq4 carb'ed help!!....newb