Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LY6 with Z06 cam and carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LY6 with Z06 cam and carb questions

I'm still gathering parts for a 2008 Chevy LY6 in my 57 chevy and I have some questions.
I have a GMPP single plane intake, a good 750 Holley that I used on a bracket car and I have a Z06 cam and springs.
I saw in the new Car Craft that the Z06 cam put out 422HP in their 5.3LS cam test, had good idle vaccum and should work well in my car on the street and maybe a 1/4 mile pass every now and then.
So it should work well in my combination, I'm hoping for around 450 HP.
I heard somewhere that you can use the stock LY6 front cover and timing chain with carbed engine because the vvt system goes into locked mode and works with a non vvt camshaft.
Is that true?
Or do I have to change to a LS2 front cover and timing set?
The 57 has a ford rear with 3.50 gears and a T400 with 2500 stall converter and should weigh about 3600 with me in it.
I'm hoping for low 13s and good street performance.
Thanks for any input
Jarhead
Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jarhead, I don't think you'll have any trouble meeting your 1/4 mile goals. It's my understanding you will need the LS2 set-up.

I have a 57 150 sedan I've been gathering parts for. I got headers and motor mounts from Muscle Rods, but still looking for an oil pan and radiator set-up. What are you using?

Wes
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input.
I posted the same question on the gen iv section and found out I do need the different front cover.
I'm going to use the Holley pan I guess as the GM pans all hang too low for me as my car has dropped spindles.
I have a Griffin cross flow 1 1/4" tube radiator (28X19)which will be in 6cly position with electric fans.
My car had weld in side mounts for SBC and I'm going to fab up the plates at our shop once the nengine is positioned.
Good luck with your 150
Jarhead

Quick Reply: LY6 with Z06 cam and carb questions