Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Wegner water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wegner water pump questions

We got the Wegner front accessory kit for the front distributor drive setup. I read somewhere it said the Wegner water pump allows radiator hose configurations similar to older style cars. So does that mean the inlet and outlet will be the same as in our 3rd Gen Firebird?

Do we use the same thermostat we used in the 3rd Gen's late-model 305, or do I need something more LS1-compatible? How about the thermostat housing? Same there, too?

I saw where another was going to run the steam vent to the 'suction' side of the water pump, which I assumed is the front port on the driver's side of the water pump. He later decided against this for some reason, and had an outlet welded to his radiator and went to that. I'm wondering if plumbing to the water pump is a good idea, or not, or should I just opt for a JagsThatRun radiator hose insert that puts the steam tube port there?

I'm not even close to dropping the engine in the car yet, but want to get all the parts figured out and accounted for before I need them. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the other questions, but Im gonna use one of these
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Inli...06363/10002/-1
You will have to add a hose barb in place of the petcock, hardware store or parts store will have them. Cheaper than the jags that run stuff, its aluminum too, just looks plastic. Ive seen plenty of people tap the pump though.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jags that run is a nice piece and allows for easy bleeding of the system..
Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick replies. That now gives me 3 solutions. Decisions, decisions.

Now I need thermostat and t-stat housing info. Thanks, all!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I m doing up my 2nd LS Mustang and i`m useing the Wagner kit for the second time.......

Yes you use a chevy radiator with top hose on the drivers side and bottom hose will be on the passenger side.......

I went to the auto parts store and told them i need a thermostat for a 70 impala and got lucky the first try.......you need the one thats short ...........i used the stock GM steam pipe and hooked it in to the Wagner pump on the passenger side.......theres already a threaded hole there...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you could drill and tap another port on the JEGS insert too, that way you could bleed it and have a steam port. I may try that since I already bought one. I'm just cheap I guess, lol
Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

<Yogi Bear> That looks like a nice setup there, Booboo.</Yogi Bear>

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I might follow that setup. Hopefully, my upper radiator hose setup will just mostly bolt right up. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Dragging this back up from the depths, because I have another question. The car's been running with the new engine for about a year. It's a ton of fun. I'm now starting to think about getting spare parts, just in case We were lucky with the old engine, but it didn't really stress the parts as much as the new one will.

So, with the Wegner front drive kit, what water pump do you use, and where do you get it? I think the front drive is a WAK011 kit, but have to go out to the shop and check my records. I understand these systems use a 'Stewart' water pump? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I've got the long pump, don't know much about them but a guy that was interested in buying it told me the long 1 is for motors with a distributor.
Summit Racing & other places sell them & you might find 1 on eBay, my long pump is in the classifieds.
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ind...&description=1
Old 01-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you. The car does have a distributor. I'll have to go out to the shop and peek under the hood, but that does look familiar. Looks like they have a cartridge that pops into the body of the pump, that's SIGNIFICANTLY less than a new pump.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I guess you can use spacers with a short pump with a distributor too.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Oh, what I was meaning was, they have a pump cartridge that looks like it drops in to the long or short pump:

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ind...ory&path=80_83

At least I think that's how it's supposed to work. Gotta go look at our car to confirm.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

I finally found a link that was more descriptive of the Pro Long water pumps. It mentions the cartridge that can be used to swap out when the water pump fails, instead of pulling the whole pump and body. That's one 4-bolt pulley and 4 bolts for the cartridge vs. pulling most of the accessories off to get the entire pump assembly off. I've ordered the cartridge.

Quick Reply: Wegner water pump questions