Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Another cam & intake recommendation thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another cam & intake recommendation thread

I've been lurking for awhile & reading archives. I'm looking for cam & intake recommendations (since they need to be matched). I have a 69 Camaro, 700r4, basic convertor, 3.08 gears, weight around 3300lbs. I have a stock '98 LS1 that I'll be swapping in (241 heads). I am looking for a cam with good street manners that'll be fairly flexible as I do plan on upgrades over the next few years (headers, portwork, gears). I'm assuming I'll have to get a different convertor to match the cam. I do plan on switching to 3.73 or 3.90 gears, & headers as budget allows. I have a Quickfuel 750 vacuum secondary carb that I'll be using. I'm open to intake recommendations to mach the carb. I had assumed I'd use the LS1 Performer RPM since the car is 99% cruiser w/decent idle & throttle response, but saw that it depended on the cam also. I sent an email off to Martin @ Tick also (since that seemed the thing to do this year .
I had been looking at the Hot Cam (as the price for the kit was really good) & I'm on a budget getting all of the swap parts. I also was curious about the LS9 cam as the price was around $170 & I figured I could use the GM performance springs to save more money (although the 122 LSA seemed odd). Let me know what you think. Primary concern is that the car drive decent (ie throttle response, reasonable idle, steady state cruise). Thanks guys.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you let Martin know what you are going to do with the car, just wait for his response and move on to worrying about something else. He will get you where you need to be on the bump stick. Oh and welcome to the speaking side of the site.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:36 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

For the perfect cam, a custom grind. Off shelf grinds like the 2216 would make me happy in your shoes from what it seems.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
For the perfect cam, a custom grind. Off shelf grinds like the 2216 would make me happy in your shoes from what it seems.
Looks like the 2216 would save me money by letting me go with ls6 valve springs. Think that would work better w/the Victor or the Performer?
Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Will work with either intake just fine, if you want a little bit of a tighter converter and like you say, 99% street duty, then a dual plane is what will fit your needs.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just figure out what RPM range you want to make power in. If you want power that comes in right off idle for street driving , you need to match the cam/intake to that style of driving and sacrifice a top end charge. In a perfect world , you could have both, but it doesn't work that way. The first thing you need to do is, decide your driving style and how the car will spend most of its time, then build around that style.
The dual plane will give you a better off idle driving experience, but will run out of air up top. The single will sacrifice a good bit of torque below 3500-4000rpm, but that doesn't matter if the stall converter is set up for a 3500rpm stall speed. In the intro ,you said a basic stall. Does that mean a stock converter? If it stalls at 1800-2000rpms , go with the dual plane and get a cam that makes good power off idle to around 5500-6000rpms and you will love the tire smoken low and mid range power.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick w/dual plane & tire smoking ability. You read these forums long enough & it's hard not to want to chase big numbers. It's fairly underpowered at the moment w/the original (rebuilt) LM-7 255hp/350 (186 rwhp this spring). That'll be pulled & put on a stand in the garage in case I ever want to sell the car. Right now I tend to just take it on cruises with the family & some of the local clubs. Keeping it running nice & smooth makes the wife & kids happy to ride along. I've had a bunch of LS based cars over the last 8 yrs & my favorite was my Magnacharged 05 GTO. Gobs of power everywhere. Liked that feeling. Would like this car to be similar.
Curious what people thought of the LS9 cam. Summit had them for $150, but the 122.5 LSA seemed odd for a carb'd car (from what I've been reading here). Lingenfelter seems to like them for power & streetabililty. 211/230 @ 562/562 on 122.5 LSA.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't seen anything of the LS9 cam in a carbed app. They work out really well from what Ive seen in EFI setups. GM High Tech has done a couple in 6.2s and exceeded 400rwhp in one and got real close in the other with an auto.
The LSA is way wrong for ideal carb setups, but it may do just fine for a cruiser. Slap one in there and let us know, LOL.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by newschool72
oh and welcome to the speaking side of the site.
rofl!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Follow up question for you guys. I can pick up a used Eddy 2215 for about $250 & the LS6 springs should add about $50. Martin said he can spec out a cam package w/springs/pushrods/seals/locks for about $710. Do you guys think extra $400 is going to be worth it powerwise when my specs are to stay with max torque & streetability when I have a stock ls1?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would get a used LS6 cam before I would buy either of those eddy cams. I know Zones loves them and the guy knows his stuff, but if you read what eddy publishes about them they have 20 degrees more duration than a stock ls6/2 cam but only make slightly more HP. I can't figure out how they do so little with so much duration. I've never driven one so maybe that is the way to tell.

Also you are getting fed some bad dope on the dual plane being more streetable than the single. I drive a single in an LS2 and believe me, the car is very docile if driven sanely and will still light the tires up at will. I can drive all day and never go over 2000 RPM. I have a lighter car (2500#) that is traction limited so moving the power up in the band is a very good thing.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again, lol.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I would get a used LS6 cam before I would buy either of those eddy cams. I know Zones loves them and the guy knows his stuff, but if you read what eddy publishes about them they have 20 degrees more duration than a stock ls6/2 cam but only make slightly more HP. I can't figure out how they do so little with so much duration. I've never driven one so maybe that is the way to tell.

Also you are getting fed some bad dope on the dual plane being more streetable than the single. I drive a single in an LS2 and believe me, the car is very docile if driven sanely and will still light the tires up at will. I can drive all day and never go over 2000 RPM. I have a lighter car (2500#) that is traction limited so moving the power up in the band is a very good thing.
Yep POP, you said it all right there. Your car weighs 2500lbs. You have a huge mechanical advantage and have no need for more low end than you have. The OPs car weighs 800lbs more than your Datsun AND he is running a 346 vrs a 364. He would enjoy the bump in tq down low and he WANTS the tire smoking low end torque. In my app the switch to a tight LSA and dual plane in the LS3 version made my car both quicker and a more street friendly part throttle car. There is something to be said for being able to drive 55mph at 1700-1800rpms up and down hill without having to lug the car. With the old combo, my car was a dead fish with the converter locked. Now it will actually accelerate when the gas is touched at 1800rpms in OD locked. POP, its just a power to weight thing between your car and 90% of the cars on this forum.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Teching In

For right now I'll be sticking with a dual plane & keeping as much torque as possible. I've had a bunch of LS cars before & really like the mid range. I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on the eddy cam. I wouldn't mind a hot cam as they seem to have decent torque, but haven't seen one listed in awhile.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my little ht1 cam
https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...er/cc54-st1-11

Quick Reply: Another cam & intake recommendation thread