Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

5.3 proven combo's.. Looking for insight please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow 5.3 proven combo's.. Looking for insight please!

Hey guys, im starting a 5.3/Sn95 grudge car and would really appreciate the insight/help from the members on here.Ive been a ford guy for a long time but the budget power from the LS based engines are just too good to ignore! That being said ive just aquired a 96 Sn95 drag roller that i plan to put my 5.3 into. Heres the story on the car...

96 Sn95 Full front tubular UPR suspension with UPR 4.6/LS swap mounts
coilovers with 90/10's in front
has dash and door panels, no carpet, 2 recaro style race seats
Rear is 8.8 3.73 gear with locker, 28sp axles, strange 10way rear shocks with stock spring cut one coil
stock control arms for now, re-enforced torque boxes though.
Weld prostars in all four with 275/50/15 rear and moroso drag skinnies on front.

Junkyard 5.3 with 108k (actually really damn clean motor)
853 heads

I have a really nice th350 in the garage (clutches,drum,input shaft,manual VB) that i plan on using with most likley a convertor from Greg @ FTI or maybe a JW depending on the better deal i get.

The goal is a low 10 sec car on 150 plate kit. Id like to put a good cam in it (tsunami-ms3-maybe custom comp) victor jr and AED 750. This is WEEKEND ONLY car so MPG/Loudness is NOT a concern! The questions I have are these.....

Can you guys help me out with the best proven power combos (heads,cam)
Also, I want to do the 351w flange chop headers to retro fit on the car..so any info on that would be GREATLY appreciated! The car is at a buddys shop so i have full access to lift and welder if needed. also, should i buy the manual brake kit for the car as well? Sorry for all the questions, new to the ls stuff. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you have everything going on the right direction and have a nice looking setup.

The only challenges I see for you is proper cam choice and getting the right torque converter. For the cam, I would discuss it with one of these guys:
Trevor at Texas Speed, Brian Tooley or Martin at Tick Performance
One of the first questions is going to be are you willing to fly cut the pistons. If so, that will give you more options and the ability to mill the heads to increase your compression.

For the torque converter, you are going to have to decide just how much nitrous you are going to throw at it. In general nitrous converters are different from N/A converters. I just went through this. I basically told me convterer guy I wanted as much N/A performane as I could get and still take a 200 shot. He sent me a Circle D 245mm 3C which is projected to have about a 3600-3800 stall. You can go a couple tenths quicker on the motor with a converter that will stall 4000-5000, but it will not like nitrous. So, you kind of have to decide what you want.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:55 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, now that I have responded to the duplicate thread. Lol
Old 12-14-2013, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Starting at the end. There is a nice set of Kooks 1 7/8" headers for $500 up by Chicago. You will have about $300 in a chopped up set of 351w headers.
Next have a nice cam spec'd and cut by a reputable person around here.
I assume you are doing a vic jr and carb with the msd 6010 box. If so get a good 650-750 carb built by a carb shop or dealer that knows how to set it up for what you have.
Then get a converter spec'd and made based on your cars cam and rest of setup.

If you fallow these basic things and build it safely you will have a pretty fast car that is built right.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Sorry about the duplicate thread guys, dunno why it posted twice. As far as the convertor goes i would like to have the best performace on motor but hitting it with a 150-200 would be great. I plan on doing a dedicated anyways so i wont be too worried about blowing it to bits lol. Yes u do plan on using the msd 6010-vic jr with a HVH spacer. Would and 850 be overkill for this setup? i know that depends on the cam but i most likely will not be taking the heads off to flycut the pistons. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Launching!

ZONES89RS, hey man sorry i had to delete the duplicate thread. Responding to your message, will the super victor be too much for a 5.3?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Old School Heavy

If you want to hit it with a 150 to 200 shot, and you are not milling the heads to increase the compression or fly cutting, then you will likely be looking for a similar torque converter to what I just ordered. Make sure you tell your converter guy you will be running that amount of nitrous. You will likely end up with a stall in the 3500-4000 range.

With that stall on a stock compression 5.3, you will probably want a came in the high 220s - low 230s in the intake duration and mid 230s to low 240s on the exhaust duration. If you contact one of the vendors I recommended, they will hook you up.

I think that AED 750 will be a great fit. I would not go with an 850 in your situation.

I think you will have no problem meeting your performance expectations on the nitrous.

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-15-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:43 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Serioussn95
ZONES89RS, hey man sorry i had to delete the duplicate thread. Responding to your message, will the super victor be too much for a 5.3?
If every ounce of power is your goal and you will be using a larger 4500 up converter, the super Vic should be the one.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Launching!

lots og great tech here guys! thanks alot. I may be getting a really good deal on a buddys MS3 cam.. Will this cam be an issue is a stock 5.3 without any head milling done to it
Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Serioussn95
lots og great tech here guys! thanks alot. I may be getting a really good deal on a buddys MS3 cam.. Will this cam be an issue is a stock 5.3 without any head milling done to it
This will be kind of technical, but I think it is important:
The problem with the MS3 in your application is that you are using a single plane intake manifold. I think most cam experts will tell you is that the short runner single plain intakes are going to want an earlier intake valve closing event (more advance) for optimum performance. In having this conversation with Martin at Tick Performance, he indicated that advancing a cam of that intake duration with cause piston to valve clearance problems.

When you say you are not willing to flycut, it does limit your camshaft size. When you have a single plane intake and you are not willing to flycut it limits your ability to open the intake valve early enough to run larger duration camshafts. I speculate that the MS3 camshaft will close your intake valve too late for maximum performance. This will have your bottom end and midrange be weak and have your camshaft trying to have your peak HP at too high of an RPM for your combination. This problem will be exacerbated by your lower compression ratio.

So, you will likely run quicker with a smaller camshaft with the proper intake valve closing event. So, something like a 226/234 or a 230/238 on a 107-110 LSA and a 104 to 106 ICL will probably make much better power in your 5.3. DISCLAIMER: I am not a cam guru. I am just sharing what I have had success with and/or seen others have success with. Contact one of the people in the list that I mentioned.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM
In-Zane Moderator

MS cam....only if you are gonna spin over 7500 rpm with a single plane.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Great info speedtigger. I am not completely opposed to flycutting the pistons, id rather just leave it the gasket seal as is right now to see how much i can truley push the stock parts. I dont want to be one of those guys who say "Cam only" yet do every ARP bolt in the engine, mill the heads, etc. I really want to see the best off the shelf cam "cam only" performance i can get, while spraying it. I would like to get a custom cam but if im going to spend the money on a custom cam i want to have to do only do it once. In the upcoming year I really wanna save to do a 408 that will be done the right. Im just getting my feet wet with the LS stuff right now so im not trying to go crazy. I see alot of people are using the TSP 224-228 camshaft with great performance. Whats everyones opinion on these cams? Keep in mind, i will have the correct stall needed for this camshaft and MPG is not something i care about. Lmk
Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Old School Heavy

A lot of guys will tell you that's not ideal, but I'm here to tell you those cams work great. I had a 222/224 in my car for a while and it ran hard with a Victor Jr. And, you can get deals on those used
Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Teching In

What year is your 5.3? And it would be worth it to get a set of 317 heads and get them machinced so you don't drop your compression to much also.

Quick Reply: 5.3 proven combo's.. Looking for insight please!