Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

The Single Plane/Carbureted LS Engine Camshaft Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I thought so but just wanted to be sure, I've been searching and seen you have recommended that cam to a few people with similar setups.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Currious about valve events of this cam

First off, thanks and respect to speedtigger for compiling all of this info in one place.

I'm putting together a 6.0 for a swap into an ECSB 90 model GMC 1500. The known data of the combo is as follows:

Weight: Close to 5k with all the junk I carry around and Me in it.
Minus My big self and the tools, it should be @ 4450 after the swap..

Drivetrain: 4l80e currently has 3k stall, 3.73 gears 28" tall tires

Primary use: Daily beater! I'm fully prepared to replace valvesprings anually or Bi-annually..

Now for the motor:
I picked up an all aluminum 6.0 from a friend at a dealer, He had no clue of what it is, and after much research I "believe" it is an l76 from a '08+ "Vortec Max" truck.

It is a 6.0 that has dished pistons that have valvereliefs( It HAD vvt and dod, I've deleted both), and 823 heads.

I've aquired for it the following:

Vic jr.

Tsp cam and all supporting hardware, Cam is in the mail, so I don'tnhave a full card yet but here is what I've got so far. 231/246 .640"/.615" custom ground on a 108 lsa straight up with no advance ground in.

Planning to mill the heads .010"
Already have Cometic .040" gaskets
Pistons are out of the hole .005" quench should be .035"
Planning to run Fitech or Holley Sniper TBI undecided so far on which..

Don't have headers yet, I'm thinking 1.75 would be good or 1 7/8"?

Could one of You kind gentlemen please run this combo through Cam Motions calculators for Cam timing and Compression? I attempted to use them but I don't own a PC and rhey wouldn't jive with My Android device.

Also any ideas on what I did Right, or wrong or could do better I all ears for. This is not a race car, just a fun appliance to beat on and do burnouts..

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Forgot to say cam is being ground on a 108 ICL.

Also, I know I've got to change My converter, as the one in there is for a Gen 1 sbc. I'm guestimating I'll need something between 36-3800? All ears on suggestions.

Also I'm sure more gear would help get this heavy beast moving but how much? I'm sure 4.56's would be the best acceleration, but will likely be miswrable on long drives as well as a really high driveshaft speed at normal highway speeds. Maybe 4.30's or would 4.10's be enough?

Thanks again guys even if Y'all tell Me the whole deal is terrible!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDog73
First off, thanks and respect to speedtigger for compiling all of this info in one place.

I'm putting together a 6.0 for a swap into an ECSB 90 model GMC 1500. The known data of the combo is as follows:

Weight: Close to 5k with all the junk I carry around and Me in it.
Minus My big self and the tools, it should be @ 4450 after the swap..

Drivetrain: 4l80e currently has 3k stall, 3.73 gears 28" tall tires

Primary use: Daily beater! I'm fully prepared to replace valvesprings anually or Bi-annually..

Now for the motor:
I picked up an all aluminum 6.0 from a friend at a dealer, He had no clue of what it is, and after much research I "believe" it is an l76 from a '08+ "Vortec Max" truck.

It is a 6.0 that has dished pistons that have valvereliefs( It HAD vvt and dod, I've deleted both), and 823 heads.

I've aquired for it the following:

Vic jr.

Tsp cam and all supporting hardware, Cam is in the mail, so I don'tnhave a full card yet but here is what I've got so far. 231/246 .640"/.615" custom ground on a 108 lsa straight up with no advance ground in.

Planning to mill the heads .010"
Already have Cometic .040" gaskets
Pistons are out of the hole .005" quench should be .035"
Planning to run Fitech or Holley Sniper TBI undecided so far on which..

Don't have headers yet, I'm thinking 1.75 would be good or 1 7/8"?

Could one of You kind gentlemen please run this combo through Cam Motions calculators for Cam timing and Compression? I attempted to use them but I don't own a PC and rhey wouldn't jive with My Android device.

Also any ideas on what I did Right, or wrong or could do better I all ears for. This is not a race car, just a fun appliance to beat on and do burnouts..

Thanks!
Forgot to say cam is being ground on a 108 ICL.

Also, I know I've got to change My converter, as the one in there is for a Gen 1 sbc. I'm guestimating I'll need something between 36-3800? All ears on suggestions.

Also I'm sure more gear would help get this heavy beast moving but how much? I'm sure 4.56's would be the best acceleration, but will likely be miswrable on long drives as well as a really high driveshaft speed at normal highway speeds. Maybe 4.30's or would 4.10's be enough?

Thanks again guys even if Y'all tell Me the whole deal is terrible!
There are a few areas of concern. First is intake piston-to-valve clearance. If you look at the valve events below, you will see that the Intake valve open that is circles is at 7.5 degrees before TDC @ .050". This will be very tight. If you mill the heads and or run a thinner head gasket like you plan, it will reduce the piston-to-valve clearance even more. Next is the unusually late exhaust valve close (also circled in black). The very late EVO adds a lot of overlap which will diminish idle vacuum, make the idle rough and will diminish low speed torque and drivability likely more than it will reward you with high RPM power.

As for the gear and converter, your heavy vehicle will benefit from as much gear as you can tolerate. The 4.56 or 4.30 would be great since you have overdrive for on the highway. For the converter a 3500-4000 will accelerate the vehicle best. The drivability of a high stall converter is subjective. So, it is hard for me to say how you will like that on a daily basis.

~Steven
Old 02-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Steven,

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure Y'all are super busy and I appreciate the reponse!

I 100% expected to flycut the pistons with this cam, and will order the appropriate Lindy tool to do so.

As for the stall I knew I was gonna need something in that ballpark, I expect to run a 3,800-4,000 or there abouts. And I'm really considering 4.56's as sadly there is no 4.30 offered for My 454ss rearend.

I know this cam will benifit from more compression than I've got. This particular l76 came with dished pistons which I believe give a stock CR of 9.4? My plan is to mill the heads .010 and run .040 Cometics. Would rhis get Me to @ 10.0ish? or would I be better served scrounging up a set of lq9 flattops and going the same route with the milling and thinner gaskets, would this perhads get Me closer to 11-1 and halp it from being as soggy on the bottom end?

Also, in Y'all experience, how much is safe to cut stock GM pistons? This engine will likely not get sprayed, and if so, a 150 shot would give all the excitement I'd need Lol!
Sincere thanks.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Steven,

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure Y'all are super busy and I appreciate the reponse!

I 100% expected to flycut the pistons with this cam, and will order the appropriate Lindy tool to do so.

As for the stall I knew I was gonna need something in that ballpark, I expect to run a 3,800-4,000 or there abouts. And I'm really considering 4.56's as sadly there is no 4.30 offered for My 454ss rearend.

I know this cam will benifit from more compression than I've got. This particular l76 came with dished pistons which I believe give a stock CR of 9.4? My plan is to mill the heads .010 and run .040 Cometics. Would rhis get Me to @ 10.0ish? or would I be better served scrounging up a set of lq9 flattops and going the same route with the milling and thinner gaskets, would this perhads get Me closer to 11-1 and halp it from being as soggy on the bottom end?

Also, in Y'all experience, how much is safe to cut stock GM pistons? This engine will likely not get sprayed, and if so, a 150 shot would give all the excitement I'd need Lol!
Sincere thanks.
Our customers tell us they cut .080" valve reliefs with good results. Customers also report that they can typically mill the heads as much as .030" without running into intake manifold fit problems.

In regards to the nitrous, just remember that fly-cutting the pistons thins and weakens the piston above the ring lands. A weakened piston would be more succeptable to failure than an uncut stock piston. With that said, some customers are successfully doing this. Some others, not so lucky.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:14 AM

Thanks again Steven, that's what I figured and why I'll likely never spray this combo.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is amazing. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

That is good to hear Anthony. I hoped it would be a nice contribution to the LS community.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock L96 6.0L long block with nothing more than dual spring kit, good pushrods, and VVT delete. I'm going to be running a single plane and 1 7/8" headers backed by a manual trans and 4.10-4.88 gears (depends on what car it ends up in).

I have a cam sitting around that is 250/266 @ .050" and .595"/.595" on a 112+4

There is not much chance it's going to fit without flycutting is there?

If push comes to shove I might just throw in a stock LS3 cam and run it.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Stock L96 6.0L long block with nothing more than dual spring kit, good pushrods, and VVT delete. I'm going to be running a single plane and 1 7/8" headers backed by a manual trans and 4.10-4.88 gears (depends on what car it ends up in).

I have a cam sitting around that is 250/266 @ .050" and .595"/.595" on a 112+4

There is not much chance it's going to fit without flycutting is there?

If push comes to shove I might just throw in a stock LS3 cam and run it.
It will not fit without valve reliefs for sure. And, even if it did, it would be way too much duration for your application. That camshaft actually has more duration at the valve than my 7500 RPM stroker camshaft.

This is the one that you want:
http://www.cammotion.com/camshafts/s...ectangle-port/
Old 10-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Default Looking for some opinions on a 233/233

Hi all from Australia.

I'm just looking for peoples opinions who might have run a similar setup to what I am about to build. what sort of power and torque did you make? How was drivability etc etc.

at at the moment my combo is:
LS1
233/233 111 LSA cam
double valve springs
Victor Jnr single plane high rise manifold
QuickFuel 750 dp
1-7/8 primary headers into twin 2.5 (probably) inch system
fully manual TH350
3.7:1 truetrac 9 inch diff.

When the time and money become available, I will have the heads ported.

Thanks in advance.

Nikolai
Old 10-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Nikolai J
Hi all from Australia.

I'm just looking for peoples opinions who might have run a similar setup to what I am about to build. what sort of power and torque did you make? How was drivability etc etc.

at at the moment my combo is:
LS1
233/233 111 LSA cam
double valve springs
Victor Jnr single plane high rise manifold
QuickFuel 750 dp
1-7/8 primary headers into twin 2.5 (probably) inch system
fully manual TH350
3.7:1 truetrac 9 inch diff.

When the time and money become available, I will have the heads ported.

Thanks in advance.

Nikolai
Should be a nice little combo for you as long as the torque converter stalls in the 3000-3800 range. A combo like that with stock heads ought to make about 400 RWHP.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Should be a nice little combo for you as long as the torque converter stalls in the 3000-3800 range. A combo like that with stock heads ought to make about 400 RWHP.
Thats great news as far as I'm concerned. For now the heads are stock LS1. I've spoken to a machinist who is suggesting that with his porting process, we could squeeze and extra 50-60 hp out of it. But until I have the cash ready, he advised getting about 50 thou knocked off the heads for a cheap power adder.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I've also had a 3000 rpm stall converter built.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Thats great news as far as I'm concerned. For now the heads are stock LS1. I've spoken to a machinist who is suggesting that with his porting process, we could squeeze and extra 50-60 hp out of it. But until I have the cash ready, he advised getting about 50 thou knocked off the heads for a cheap power adder.
I think 40 horsepower is a pretty common result from a well ported cathedral head. Also, if you mill the heads, check your piston to valve clearance carefully. Typically when you mille a head .050", you also have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons to maintain adequate piston-to-valve clearance.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I think 40 horsepower is a pretty common result from a well ported cathedral head. Also, if you mill the heads, check your piston to valve clearance carefully. Typically when you mille a head .050", you also have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons to maintain adequate piston-to-valve clearance.
ok will do. Thank you very much for your advice. Is there anything else a combo like this might benefit from in your opinion?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Old School Heavy

ok will do. Thank you very much for your advice. Is there anything else a combo like this might benefit from in your opinion?
Everything you posted looks pretty good. Should be a fun combo for you.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Great thread LS1 tech has been a great help.
Looking for a cam for a stock 6.0 LQ4 unport 706 heads with spring ungrade.
I run this motor on an airboat so a little differnt then normal as the prop and gearbox are the limiting factor. Takes around 2500 to get on plane and the prop limits motor to about 5400-5800.
Going to use the bigger valves from 317 head in the 706's, dual plane intake and a 750 Holley DP with annular boosters. Low vacuum is not a concern and needs to be able to idle around 750 to be able to dock it.

Any comments would be greatly apperciated.

I have an NIB ASA Cam and BTR springs. Kind of like this setup but wondering what else you might recommend.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,120 Likes on 2,434 Posts

I'm not sure you need more cam. 750 idle and 5800 peak almost says stock cam, but I know the ASA would work, though you are not getting near the potential out of it at such low RPM.

Quick Reply: The Single Plane/Carbureted LS Engine Camshaft Thread