Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb'd street/strip - what oil you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not an expert, but you're welcome to do as much reading on the subject as you like. tons of independent testing that shows that amsoil is a cut above
Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Above what? Basic engine oil? I would rather have your opinion on it since you are clearly a firm believer and not some random that goes with whatever he sees advertised.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Heard of that stuff referred to as "scamsoil". Guess there are haters and sponsors.

Why the zzddp? That's for flat tappet motors.
And castrol is not a full synthetic so I wouldn't waste your cash and use Mobil 1.
I use the ZZDDP cuz the Magnum 280H is a flat tappet cam (in my car)....I have a built 355sbc in my car....prolly shoulda been more clear aboout that....and didnt know that about Castrol....it said full synthetic....well i only have 650 miles on this engine....I will be switching to mobil 1.....thanks for the heads up...
Old 11-19-2014, 07:25 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Ah, good job then, you need that for the flat tappets. I stopped using them when I ran sbc engine years before.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Ah, good job then, you need that for the flat tappets. I stopped using them when I ran sbc engine years before.

Good stuff!!! so is Castol jus a syn blend...how can they advertise full synthetic like that.....im def gonna spread that word.....I have a while till its due for an oil change....but I will def run the Mobil 1....since next up is a 150shot wet kit.....
Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i recommend getting acquainted with your oils by looking through this website, which is about the largest independent tester of oils there is. you'll find that amsoil is a cut above....basically everything

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

additionally, "synthetic" oils are all blends, even mobil1 (which you may find is pretty inferior when you start looking at test results btw). there is a specific percentage of synthetic base that an oil must have in order to be considered a "full synthetic", but it isn't 100%

anyway, i'm using the dominator oil which has a bunch of zinc already in it. once you buy the preferred pricing it's actually cheaper than the shelf available oils
Old 11-19-2014, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Zinc has anti wear properties that is good for your engine. If you have stiff springs, a higher lift cam and stock rockers... I think you should definitely use a zinc additive. Or a zinc enriched oil.

Last edited by The stunningman; 11-19-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 PM
In-Zane Moderator

You don't actually want a high to 100% synthetic, that is from speaking to a guy that was devolving oil back when that was coming up in the world. And I will say, vipers, vettes and everything else under the sun that requires Mobil 1 synthetic is surely not for no good reason. But I will check out the site you mentioned Matt. I have seen mobile 1 personally not allow rings to seat in a new engine so it is doing it's job in some way. Break in oil is there for a reason. Lol
Old 11-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
i recommend getting acquainted with your oils by looking through this website, which is about the largest independent tester of oils there is. you'll find that amsoil is a cut above....basically everything

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

additionally, "synthetic" oils are all blends, even mobil1 (which you may find is pretty inferior when you start looking at test results btw). there is a specific percentage of synthetic base that an oil must have in order to be considered a "full synthetic", but it isn't 100%

anyway, i'm using the dominator oil which has a bunch of zinc already in it. once you buy the preferred pricing it's actually cheaper than the shelf available oils
Def gonna check this site out....my engine is still practically brand new and was broke in properly so I know its fine.....jus want it running tip top once I start spraying the **** out of it....lol

You don't actually want a high to 100% synthetic, that is from speaking to a guy that was devolving oil back when that was coming up in the world. And I will say, vipers, vettes and everything else under the sun that requires Mobil 1 synthetic is surely not for no good reason. But I will check out the site you mentioned Matt. I have seen mobile 1 personally not allow rings to seat in a new engine so it is doing it's job in some way. Break in oil is there for a reason. Lol
Thanks.....guess I gotta homework assignment tonight.....
Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 PM
9 Second Club

. Break in oil is there for a reason. Lol
Don't worry man with your your LS6 springs and eddie cam... You got nothing to worry about,
Old 11-20-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Break in oil for hyd roller mild ls motor??

Oil preference depends on soo many things like climate, tempreture, street or strip, cost, oil changes
Old 11-20-2014, 02:50 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by The stunningman
Don't worry man with your your LS6 springs and eddie cam... You got nothing to worry about,
I have better than LS6 springs but I don't worry about anything breakin in. If I build and engine, I put castrol 10w40 in and beat the hell out of it. If it is going to break it will. Never had a problem from not breaking an engine in.

And my trex cam has been doing pretty well on it's second engine, but in ready for a custom grind.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dogsballs
Break in oil for hyd roller mild ls motor??

Oil preference depends on soo many things like climate, tempreture, street or strip, cost, oil changes
Some people here have been having camshaft wear problems. A lot of knowledgeable people have recommended the use of zinc additive as a preventative measure. Some have had valve tip wear problems. When you get into serious springs that hit over 400 + lbs. open with stock rockers. You can have scrub between the rocker tip and the valve tip not unlike the scrub that flat tappets had on the camshafts. Yes the spinning motion of the lifter helped but the zinc helped a lot also. Look at what happened when they pulled the zinc out.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

in my opinion valve tip wear or cam lobe wear points to too much valve spring. people running doubles where a single will suffice. i'd prefer to run a fraction softer spring than heavier. ls motors seem to like a light valve train, shown by people having great success with just a trunion upgrade and ls7 lifters.

i'm with zones, as long as there is good oil pressure, beat it from the get go.

people will always differ, oils and sparkplugs, guarenteed to have wide ranging views
Old 11-20-2014, 09:26 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I have single springs in all my engines.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

While we are on valve train wear. Has anyone run into pushrod wear in these engines? I have had several engines where I saw significant wear on the end of the pushrod and in the rocker arm cup. These were all with stock pushrods and rockers. Never with hardened PR's after I did cam, spring, PR and replace rockers though.

Quick Reply: Carb'd street/strip - what oil you guys use?