Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LQ9 Caprice

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 Caprice

so with the first part of the build about to start at the machine shop i wanted to put a list of the parts getting put together and your input. I would like to see 425/425 at the wheels with better low to mid range power than up top. This car isnt going to see the track and will be used as a cruiser with some long trips and some daily driving. I want to bump up the compression to be around 10.8 and still be able to use 89 octane safely.

LQ9 Engine freshened up with new bearings, seals, and bolts.
750 or 700 Carb, not sure which one though or brand.
edelbrock performer rpm dual plane manifold
msd 6010 ignition box
EPS custom cam, waiting on geof with the specs
compcams trunion retrofit. Am i better getting aftermarket 1.7s or just stay with the factory ones and do the retrofit?
Ported 317 heads milled .025 with .041 head gasket
adjustable chain and sprocket
Oil pump. Is a high volume/pressure unit required for what i need to can i just use the stock unit?
Headers. I'm still not sure of which route to go here or with which brand. Like i said earlier i want the low to mid power and willing to sacrifice peak power hence the reason why i'm leaning towards some shorties or mid-length type.
Exhaust. The car will also be getting dual exhaust installed at the time of the swap, will 2.5" H-pipe system dumping just forward of the axle suffice or should i go with 3"?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxy_Bruiser
so with the first part of the build about to start at the machine shop i wanted to put a list of the parts getting put together and your input. I would like to see 425/425 at the wheels with better low to mid range power than up top. This car isnt going to see the track and will be used as a cruiser with some long trips and some daily driving. I want to bump up the compression to be around 10.8 and still be able to use 89 octane safely.

LQ9 Engine freshened up with new bearings, seals, and bolts.
750 or 700 Carb, not sure which one though or brand.
edelbrock performer rpm dual plane manifold
msd 6010 ignition box
EPS custom cam, waiting on geof with the specs
compcams trunion retrofit. Am i better getting aftermarket 1.7s or just stay with the factory ones and do the retrofit?
Ported 317 heads milled .025 with .041 head gasket
adjustable chain and sprocket
Oil pump. Is a high volume/pressure unit required for what i need to can i just use the stock unit?
Headers. I'm still not sure of which route to go here or with which brand. Like i said earlier i want the low to mid power and willing to sacrifice peak power hence the reason why i'm leaning towards some shorties or mid-length type.
Exhaust. The car will also be getting dual exhaust installed at the time of the swap, will 2.5" H-pipe system dumping just forward of the axle suffice or should i go with 3"?

I am pretty sure 425/425 is not going to happen with a stock head and a Performer RPM intake. I am thinking you are looking more like 390 HP and about 380 torque.

For the carb, go I recommend the Quick Fuel 750. The exact model will depend on if you want a choke or not.

If you are milling the heads, there is no reason to mess with the thin gasket. The thing gasket will just mess up your quench while the head milling will not. Also, as you mill the heads, you will reduce your valve clearance and limit the size of the cam you can run. So, it is a trade off. Make sure Geoff knows you are milling the heads and how much.

As for the rockers, I will sell you my trunion upgraded rockers. The rockers have about 3500 miles on them. They were new rockers that were upgraded not used high milers. They were done correctly with an arbor press and are smooth as glass.

For the timing chain, you can use factory gears, but I use the C7R chain from Hinson Motorsports. I have never heard a bad thing about their C5R or C7R chains. I also use and recommend using this adapter and the LS2 Timing Chain guide:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k30675600

The stock oil pump is fine.

For headers on what you are doing, I would choose the 1 3/4 primary long tubes. If you want torque, you want long tubes. As for the exhaust, I put 3" duals on everything LOL.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Teching In

thanks for your input tigger.
I've since decided to go with some 243 heads cleaned up and assembled using either the PAC 1218 or 1518 springs.

As far as the intake goes, the shop that's is doing the swap has a used single plane unit, looked like a vic jr. Would the single plane Vic Jr. hurt my low and mid power vice the dual plane RPM? Most of the articles I've read recommend the dual plane for low to mid power.

The shop also has a used double pumper that was attached to the intake mentioned above. It all came from a carb'd LS swap that is now being changed over to fuel injected. I've been reading alot of good things about the Quick Fuel units and been leaning more towards them so it'll come down to how much the guy wants for the used DP.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Also this will be backed up by a 2004R and 3.42 gears. Do i need the cam specs in order to get a properly stalled converter? I have a spare 10" converter from my grand national which i believe is 2600 but i will most likely send it out to have it restalled.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Old School Heavy

The intake, manifold and converter choice is kind of the trinity of street car performance. They all need to work together. To determine which way to go on this, you really need to know your desired driving characteristics.

I generalize it this way. With a stall converter of 3000 or below, the car will generally be quicker to 100 MPH with the Performer RPM over the Victor Jr.. With a greater than 3000 stall, I would pick the Victor Jr. for most 5.7 to 6 liter combos. Once you know which way you are going there, you can move on to camshaft selection.

If you were to use a dual plane like the Performer RPM and your grand national stall, I would use this cam:
http://store.cammotion.com/the-titan2

You can ignore the power range listed on the Cam Motion website, in your application this cam will pull hard to 6200 RPM.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I generalize it this way. With a stall converter of 3000 or below, the car will generally be quicker to 100 MPH with the Performer RPM over the Victor Jr..
this is what i'm looking for and very similar to what i've researched. This is going to be a street car(no track) with good low to mid range power, decent gas mileage, and decent street manners
Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Old School Heavy

this is what i'm looking for and very similar to what i've researched. This is going to be a street car(no track) with good low to mid range power, decent gas mileage, and decent street manners
That combo will deliver. When I first built my car, I had a 3000 stall, Performer RPM, 750 Holley HP mechanical secondary, 3.90 gears and a cam almost identical to the Cam Motion Titan II. With that combo, my car went 11.70s in the 1/4 at over #3700. The car had "drive anywhere" drivability and would absolutely destroy just about anything that I happened upon on the street.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Teching In

what you think of Brian Tooleys Cams? I spoke to one of his guys and waiting on a call back with their recommendations.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Old School Heavy

what you think of Brian Tooleys Cams? I spoke to one of his guys and waiting on a call back with their recommendations.
Brian does a great job and he and his crew are a bunch of great guys. I got to hang with them during the week of PRI in Indy. It will be interesting to see their recommendation.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Here is what they recommended
227/234
.614/.576
113 +2

Now with the built in advance will this shift the power band off to the right?

And the guys at PTC Converter recommended a 12" 25-2800 converter.

Last edited by Boxy_Bruiser; 01-06-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Teching In

i was kinda shocked he recommended a 12" over the 10". I've had PTC converters in the pass but the guy i normally dealt with i can located his contact info.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Old School Heavy

Did the converter guy and the cam guy know what each others recommendations were?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Teching In

the converter guy had the cam specs. When i spoke to the guys at tooleys shop i didnt have the converter stall but i told them around 2800, which is what i figured it would be. I have contacted geof at EPS with the updated info, hopefully he'll have something for me by tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Old School Heavy

You had said in your original post that you had spoken to Geoff at EPS. What came of that?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Teching In

i filled out the cam spec sheet off his site and emailed it to him last week. I got an email from him saying he received and will get back to me when he has the final numbers. I spoke to him today and told him there were some changes to the original list, which i email to him, and he told me he should have something by tomorrow.

What you think of those cam specs tooley recommended.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Old School Heavy

i filled out the cam spec sheet off his site and emailed it to him last week. I got an email from him saying he received and will get back to me when he has the final numbers. I spoke to him today and told him there were some changes to the original list, which i email to him, and he told me he should have something by tomorrow.

What you think of those cam specs tooley recommended.
It has a later intake valve close and a little more overlap than I would have predicted they would specify for a car equipped with a converter that tight. That is why I asked if they had seen the converter specs when they suggested the cam.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Teching In

here are geoffs cam numbers
226/230 111+2 .604"/.604"

Quick Reply: LQ9 Caprice