Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Anyone using a mil-spec connector to pass MSD harness through firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using a mil-spec connector to pass MSD harness through firewall?

As the title says is anyone using a mil-spec round connector to pass the MSD harness through the firewall on your build?
I have been thinking about redoing my entire wiring harness on the car and think that I will likely use the round flanged style connector to pass harnesses through the firewall. I just figured i'd see if anyone else had done this and what part# they used as I don't understand the specifications I can find online. I found a few builds that had used them with the fuel injected cars but wanted to see about the MSD harness in particular.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could use these:
http://www.waytekwire.com/products/2...RC-Connectors/
more to see - http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...in-Connectors/

You will need to get a proper crimper as well.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
You could use these:
http://www.waytekwire.com/products/2...RC-Connectors/
more to see - http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...in-Connectors/

You will need to get a proper crimper as well.

I had looked into these too but was hoping to stay with something metal but for the cost of these I may give them a try if I can't find some out of metal with the flange mount. I have read that a lot of people use the weatherpack crimper and it works find so if so thats no problem. Just can't justify a $300 tool to do the crimping lol. I probably would never use it enough to get my money out of it if you know what I mean. I do like they will carry 13 amp load though cause I have read the coil wires can spike that high at times (don't know for sure).
Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

There are relatively inexpensive crimp tool available.
The metal stuff is exorbitantly priced. Your wires will melt (unless you are using Tefzel or teflon) before the plastic.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
There are relatively inexpensive crimp tool available.
The metal stuff is exorbitantly priced. Your wires will melt (unless you are using Tefzel or teflon) before the plastic.
I definitely agree with you about the metal being way overpriced. In all honestly I am not so much worried about the plastic for the heat resistance as if the car catches on fire under the hood I would have much larger problems to contend with. I just prefer the metal for its appearance and my brain always views metal as stronger than plastic. (Although the only one of these that matters to me at this point is the aesthetics as this entirely planned to simplify the cars wiring and have it far more organized and detachable than the factory harness with all the add-ons that people have attached over time. I haven't saw a detailed picture of the crimpers at the jaw to see what they resemble but have read about the weatherpack crimpers being used on them without fail. If I can get the right crimper at a reasonable price I would consider purchasing it. I don't expect to being do anymore harnesses for a while after this one but we all know how that goes especially when people see your stuff. I appreciate you replying and sending the links you did.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a mil-spec connector to pass MSD harness through firewall?