Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

The truth about the MSD 6010 & 6012

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pedals
well, I now have the holley dominator efi. thus far its been a steep learning curve, but the logging and control are NICE! - this brings me back to this: I wish when I was doing my first carb conversion, that I had done the holley HP and used it to run the ignition and datalog.

You are right about not many knowing the capabilities of the Daytona stuff. If you are selling it, please make a nice little comparison of its capabilities vrs say an MSD 6012 plus a datalogging setup, or the Holley Hp (used to run carb), or say an MS3 used to run ign and datalog. The carb guys would love as much info as you can give em
We plan on doing a write up on the box. We just need to get the shop car running. We are not far off now.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Default msdd

Huh,, Pump the gas 3x,Hit the key,Fires up on 1/4 turn. Summer or 20 below zero with snow all over the engine from bustin thru snow drifts and no roads. 2 years,almost,daily driver ,6010. Been reading bout some probs with MSD's. Most appear to be simple connector ,ground, or plug issues. I guess I'm lucky. I must have gotten my 2 boxes be for MSD started importing foreign crap. I have a 32 year old 6a that I've had MSD fix twice and update. Its been on dozens of different cars and trucks. To bad their quality isn't like that anymore.

Last edited by cuda620; 06-26-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added
Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3pedals
No doubt, but please do tell how the daytona box and harness cost compares to a Holley HP setup(used in carb app), when you factor in all the datalogging capabilities of the holley.
thats right, it doesnt come close.....................
EDIT - didnt mean to come off like a dick, but I stand by my opinion.
can the holley measure/log driveshaft speed?
Old 06-29-2015, 01:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
can the holley measure/log driveshaft speed?
Yes.
In a carb application the Holley HP will be able to control the complete ignition including 2 step and high side rev limiters, and 3D timing - RPM vrs MAP with individual cylinder trims ,as well as logging rpm, A/F, MAP, fuel pressure, oil pressure, coolant temp, IAT. There are 2 built in configurable timing retards as well.
There are 4 configurable inputs, 2 of which can be frequency(for driveshaft sensor), and 4 configurable outputs.
if you are turbo or nitrous there are built in boost controls, and nitrous controls.
The Holley LOGS EVERYTHING that is connected, and has nicely laid out datalog viewing software, that can overlay the datalog onto the tune software so you can see where the logs are at graphically on your tune - VERY helpful.
I have my Holley turning on/off my cooling fans based on coolant temp, and a few other things.
the only thing you would need to do is setup a Throttle position sensor, to do a tps reset (even if it is not connected to the carb), as the ecu requires this.
EDIT: and the Holley HP comes with a wideband O2 sensor

Last edited by 3pedals; 06-29-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i need a logger....and want a new ignition system....but don't want to spend the coin or the effort on setting up the EFI....this sounds like the way to go. i want the 5.7" lcd dash thing too. will that work on the carb setup as well? can this fire my gm coils?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:21 PM
8 Second Club

It fires my oem truck coils.
the newest holley dash has an aux harness that will give you additional inputs and outputs.
yes it will work fine with carb, it connects via canbus cable to the holley harness plug n play
Old 06-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Banned

i need a logger....and want a new ignition system....but don't want to spend the coin or the effort on setting up the EFI....this sounds like the way to go. i want the 5.7" lcd dash thing too. will that work on the carb setup as well? can this fire my gm coils?
What are you wanting to log? Also is car na, nitrous or turbo?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

n/a, stick shift. i need to log driveshaft speed in relation to engine speed.

also want air/fuel.

and i want a display screen so i can delete all my gauges. (like a racepak....or that nifty new holley screen).
Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 PM
8 Second Club

Holley comes with a built in wideband O2 sensor, I forgot to add that to my post above
Old 06-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Banned

n/a, stick shift. i need to log driveshaft speed in relation to engine speed.

also want air/fuel.

and i want a display screen so i can delete all my gauges. (like a racepak....or that nifty new holley screen).
If you use a smart spark to control ignition, you can add a SL-1 Shift light control to data log rpm, and vehicle speed with a hall effect sensor and a pinion collar. You can also log either 2 air fuels with a dual channel wego, or a single afr and a map sensor input. I am working on a simple dash solution, but don't have it ready at this time. Here is the link to the shift light controller:

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Shift_Light.html
Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

piggy back....add on...the holley box is all inclusive though, right?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Banned

piggy back....add on...the holley box is all inclusive though, right?
The draw back to all in one is when it dies you are completely dead in the water.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'd rather not have ANY more failures...with as pricey as this stuff is, you'd think that one of you guys would make one that could be reliable.

Quick Reply: The truth about the MSD 6010 & 6012