Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Need Help Building/Converting the ultimate circle track motor!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Building/Converting the ultimate circle track motor!!

Hey Guys, somewhat new to the site but i have used alot of your info in the past. Currently i have a 1971 camaro that is in the process of ls swapped. BUT this thread has to do with me and my buddy build his race car.

Over last winter we built it into a badass stock v8 racing division car. He already has a win under his belt for the rookie season. The base of the car was a 1980 camaro 350 4 speed car. We had to use a stock sbc 350 with a 3 speed for the current division.

Next year we are looking into moving to a more advanced division which allows us to build the motor along with more suspension changes allowed.

This brings me to what the thread is about. Everyone in this division has 10k or more into the motors or they run a 602 crate. Our goal is to try and run a 5.3 ls motor. I read the rules a lot and 5.3 is the biggest i can go due to displacement rules because it has to be iron block and iron heads. So below are the rules that will affect what needs to be changed and some solutions i came up with i would love all of your input on other solutions or even coming up with some for me. My goal is that this 5.3 fun a quarter of the price can make more power then the 602 crate motors (rated 350hp, 396 tq)

To start off we can only run mechanical fuel pumps electric are not allowed

With that said i found that i can get a belt driven mechanical fuel pump which i believe will work. Any other ideas??

Next the rules say no msd so unless i can get the changed i can run coil packs

My only solution i found was gm 88958679 is a timing cover kit that is expensive but will allow me to run a distributor

Now since i need to run iron heads i can run the 5.3 heads.

Am i right that the only iron head is the 873 heads from a 6.0? now i noticed they have bigger cc in the combustion chamber so i know my compression will drop a little which is fine with me because i am only allowed 9.5:1 (hoping i can deck the head to bring it back up)

The next thing i need to figure out is we can run a 500cfm two barrel carb do you guys think that will be okay or is it to small and i should lose hope of beating the 602 crate engine specs of 350 hp 396 tq? (note i can run any cam i want) I need to get approval to run the edelbrock performer intake with a 4 to 2 barrel carb converter.

Finally the biggest thing is i cant run a roller cam and i have to run flat tappet straight barrel lifters....is this an end all??? or can this be converted?

Thank you for all your help!!!!
Old 07-26-2016, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This same question came up just recently.

The good news is the distributor drive also has a mechanical fuel pump option.

Bad news is I think you are screwed with respect to iron heads and non-roller cam. Can;t remember what the issue was with the heads.

Try a search
Old 07-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
This same question came up just recently.

The good news is the distributor drive also has a mechanical fuel pump option.

Bad news is I think you are screwed with respect to iron heads and non-roller cam. Can;t remember what the issue was with the heads.

Try a search
good to know! the iron heads should be fine its just the cams that screw me! im trying to get the rule to change

Quick Reply: Need Help Building/Converting the ultimate circle track motor!!