Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

86 Iroc LQ4 Carbed dies after 30 sec of running.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 86 Iroc LQ4 Carbed dies after 30 sec of running.

So I have a 86 Camaro with a iron headed carbed LQ4 in it. Car was running perfect up until this issue popped up. Was on the highway cruising 60 mph or so and all of a sudden the engine started to bog down and then died. Go to restart it and dont hear the fuel pump prime when key is cycled. So i tow it home and check the fuel pump fuse and its popped so i throw a new 20a fuse in it and bamm starts right up and drives fine.

Take it on the highway and drive for about 10 min and sure as hell same thing happens. But this time i can hear the fuel pump prime when key it turned, so if i cycle the key the motor will run on whatever is in the fuel line and then once its run out it dies. I decided to put a new fuel pump relay in it and ended up with the same results. Before i go and pull the tank which is a pain, i wanna see if anyone has any other idea or things to look for.

Could it be the fuel pump is weak but not dead? Meaning i can prime it and car will start but it wont draw anymore fuel after that.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are your running a dead-head system or a return-regulated system? Got a vented fuel cap? Changed the fuel filter?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

I changed the fuel filter, I bought the car with the swap 80% done so as far as I kno it's the stock fuel system with a pressure regulator.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be a wiring problem, something chaffed and shorting to ground.

But will say the last time my pump blew fuses was due to junk getting in the pump and causing it to bind. Try cutting open the old fuel filter and see if anything is in there. Also pull the bowls off the carb and check for junk.

Doesn't take much tank rust to bind a pump. My problems occurred from not cleaning the tank after modifying it. But old tanks can still knock stuff loose from time to time.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Ended up tracing down the oil pressure switch and found that it was barley plugged in, so pushed it back in and so far so good.

Quick Reply: 86 Iroc LQ4 Carbed dies after 30 sec of running.