Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Fuel Pumps both dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Fuel Pumps both dead

Anyone have issues with electric fuel pumps not wanting turn over if they sit too long?

The Mallory 140 unit on my car started blowing fuses. Even after disconnecting the pump part the electric motor wouldn't turn under power until I first spun it by hand. Now after reassembly it seems to work again, but not sure I trust it.

Grab from my shed a 140 gph summit pump I used for awhile. Power it up and sounds like it is eating gravel. It was sitting for a couple of years with tape over the inlet/outlet. Pull it apart and lube the moving bits and now it works fine. Again, not sure I trust it.

Have a good prefilter on the car, no real debris in either pump.

What would you guys do? Put in one and carry the second as a spare? (Easy roadside swap on this car)

An Aeromotive SS 11203 pump is $208 at summit, about the price of a flipping tow. I know it has a stellar rep on this site, but do you think it will tolerate sitting unused better than the cheaper Mallory and Summit units?
Old 08-27-2017, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 116 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

How long a sit are we talking ?

Mine was in a body shop for 6 months and never started....came right on.
Motor swap over a few months, no issue, over winter no issue, ETC.

Aeromotive SS pump here.....

I would also ask how yours is mounted ? Some are picky
Old 08-28-2017, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I haven't driven the car much this last two years, but drove it a good bit just a couple of weeks ago. Installation is pretty text book, mounted motor up with the pump even with the bottom of the tank, 1/2" suction tube via a 100 micron prefilter, AN6 feed and return hard lines with a return style pressure regulator.

The pump on the car almost acted like there was a dead electrical connection. The one from the shed was just a little rusty inside. Shot it full of air tool oil to store it again.

I'll probably buy the Aeromotive pump. 140 gph is way too much pump but there aren't a lot of better options. I keep wanting to do an in tank pump to get the noise down. But I do have a chinee PWM controller I've been meaning to wire up. Now is the time I guess.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Aeromotive SS way better than my old Holley blue pump for noise....lol
Old 10-29-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Got the aeromotive SS pump in and it is as loud as the old Mallory pump, maybe worse. I have the whole thing properly shock mounted, but it doesn't help that the car is so small with all the sound deadening tar removed.

The sound is almost a vibration that resonates through the whole car. Thought maybe it was a bad return regulator that was being amplified by hardline mounts that are too hard. I have the regulator mounted on the firewall so not good there. So did an experiment where I put a bypass hose in place of the regulator. No joy, still loud. Went one step further and removed the pump prefilter thinking there was some restriction. Just as loud. Decided to run a hose straight from the pump outlet to the car gas filler thereby bypassing all the car fuel lines.

Holy hell, this pump can move some fuel!! The gas came out like a fire hose. It actually pumped fuel faster than the fill tube could swallow it. Gas backed up the fill tube and started overflowing.

AND it was still Fing loud.

Guess I need to work on my PWM controller idea. 140 gph is a big *** pump. Way too big for a stock LS2 motor.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:27 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Aeromotive SS live for about three years for me. Weird.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Got the aeromotive SS pump in and it is as loud as the old Mallory pump, maybe worse. I have the whole thing properly shock mounted, but it doesn't help that the car is so small with all the sound deadening tar removed.

The sound is almost a vibration that resonates through the whole car. Thought maybe it was a bad return regulator that was being amplified by hardline mounts that are too hard. I have the regulator mounted on the firewall so not good there. So did an experiment where I put a bypass hose in place of the regulator. No joy, still loud. Went one step further and removed the pump prefilter thinking there was some restriction. Just as loud. Decided to run a hose straight from the pump outlet to the car gas filler thereby bypassing all the car fuel lines.

Holy hell, this pump can move some fuel!! The gas came out like a fire hose. It actually pumped fuel faster than the fill tube could swallow it. Gas backed up the fill tube and started overflowing.

AND it was still Fing loud.

Guess I need to work on my PWM controller idea. 140 gph is a big *** pump. Way too big for a stock LS2 motor.
Loud fuel pumps are annoying as hell for sure. My friend had a pair of the new Holley HP Pumps for sale. They are much quieter than my Aeromotive SS pump. But, when I tested them, they pumped about 10% less fuel, so I stuck with the S/S pump. I will say though, my Aeromotive S/S pump has been perfectly reliable. Other than the noise, an excellent pump.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

This aeromotive pump is too damn much pump. It is too big for my AN6 return line.

Just spent 3 days getting douched in fuel trying to figure out why can't get the carb pressure below 8-9 PSI. When I couldn't adjust down the regulator though maybe it was clogged, so took all the guts out and STILL couldn't get the back pressure below 6-8 PSI. That led to bypassing the return line looking for restrictions. Looks like a return line consisting of 8 feet of 3/8 inch hard line won't move this pump's full flow. Have the same size supply line.

So anyone who runs this pump had better run 1/2 inch lines.

The PWM controller works like a champ to vary the pump speed. Going to be a bitch to run an isolated ground wire but that is what the controller needs. I'm going to wire it into a couple of switches so I have a two speed pump. Half to 3/4 speed allows the pressure regulator to hold 6 psi. But for reliability I want a bypass switch to put full power to the pump. That will mean 8-9 PSI minimum at the carb.

By the way, shock mounted the **** out of the thing and it is still stupid loud. Even disconnected from the car it is stupid loud.

Too much pump.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah. The pump is loud as hell for sure. Maybe try the Holley HP? They are notably quieter. Or, you could put a pump in the tank.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:42 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Run mine dead headed, but maybe it's my exhaust note making it not "so loud" ?

Old Holley pump was pretty bad though (forget if black or blue pump)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
This aeromotive pump is too damn much pump. It is too big for my AN6 return line.

Just spent 3 days getting douched in fuel trying to figure out why can't get the carb pressure below 8-9 PSI. When I couldn't adjust down the regulator though maybe it was clogged, so took all the guts out and STILL couldn't get the back pressure below 6-8 PSI. That led to bypassing the return line looking for restrictions. Looks like a return line consisting of 8 feet of 3/8 inch hard line won't move this pump's full flow. Have the same size supply line.

So anyone who runs this pump had better run 1/2 inch lines.

The PWM controller works like a champ to vary the pump speed. Going to be a bitch to run an isolated ground wire but that is what the controller needs. I'm going to wire it into a couple of switches so I have a two speed pump. Half to 3/4 speed allows the pressure regulator to hold 6 psi. But for reliability I want a bypass switch to put full power to the pump. That will mean 8-9 PSI minimum at the carb.

By the way, shock mounted the **** out of the thing and it is still stupid loud. Even disconnected from the car it is stupid loud.

Too much pump.
should be running as large as a retrun as your feed. I usually run 8an feed and return.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
should be running as large as a retrun as your feed. I usually run 8an feed and return.
They are both the same size, an6. Since it is dropping 9 PSI in the return line than must be getting twice that pressure at the pump output.

The Mallory pump had an internal bypass and somewhat adjustable internal pressure regulator. Aeromotive says messing with the internal pressure regulator violates the warranty.

But I can slow it down with the PWM controller.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pumps both dead