Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

worth it? SLP SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not all SS Camaro's were SLP cars. I used to own a '98 SS SLP Camaro and it had it's own car number. I currently own a '99 SS Camaro that is not an SLP car.

Here's some pics of my old 1998 SLP SS Camaro.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greg_74
You 100% sure on that? I thought there were just some base ones that only had like the hood, spoiler, and wheels that were installed at the dealer and don't have the SLP sticker. I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that.
Originally Posted by Piccolosan28
not all SS Camaro's were SLP cars. I used to own a '98 SS SLP Camaro and it had it's own car number. I currently own a '99 SS Camaro that is not an SLP car.

All SS's (WU8 RPO code) went to SLP, that's who put the hood, spoiler and wheels on the cars even if no other options were installed. Some cars (with the Y2Y RPO code) had additional SLP options installed by SLP such as exhaust, Blackwing air box, floor mats, CME, suspension, portfolio, car cover, key fobs etc.....

Cars without the Y2Y option won't have the second sticker in the passenger side door that lists the additional options since it doesn't have any.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by waldershrek
all ss's (wu8 rpo code) went to slp, that's who put the hood, spoiler and wheels on the cars even if no other options were installed. Some cars (with the y2y rpo code) had additional slp options installed by slp such as exhaust, blackwing air box, floor mats, cme, suspension, portfolio, car cover, key fobs etc.....

Cars without the y2y option won't have the second sticker in the passenger side door that lists the additional options since it doesn't have any.

+1....
Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All SS's (WU8 RPO code) went to SLP, that's who put the hood, spoiler and wheels on the cars even if no other options were installed. Some cars (with the Y2Y RPO code) had additional SLP options installed by SLP such as exhaust, Blackwing air box, floor mats, CME, suspension, portfolio, car cover, key fobs etc.....

Cars without the Y2Y option won't have the second sticker in the passenger side door that lists the additional options since it doesn't have any.
Ok that sounds right, I just thought I remember it being said that there were some base model SS's that didn't go to SLP.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Teching In

my bad..

Last edited by KizerSS; 03-03-2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: wrong thread. too many windows open
Old 03-03-2009, 03:48 AM
Teching In

I got mine late last year its a 99 sure alittle older, but it only had 24k miles. drove it away for 15k. Its all on if its worth it to you. I know the price is a bit sttep for the year it is. but i had always wanted an SS. i had gotten back from an 8 month deployment so i got ymself a nice little gift. Glad i didnt let it slip through my fingers, they car is amazing. love everything about it . so to answer your question, id say its well worth it. thats just me tho.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i agree also......
Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As has been mentioned, EVERY 4th generation Camaro SS went to SLP. SLP installed the hood, wing, wheels, suspension and exhaust. This was WU8. Y2Y added their additional options like chrome wheels, dual/dual exhaust, etc. Some cars (like my 2000) had Y2Y but did not have any Y2Y options. I'm not sure of the reasoning with this.

And by saying they went to SLP, they did not go to their Toms River, NJ facility. SLP had their own shop right down from the Ste. Therese Camaro plant to do the Z28 to SS conversion.

Even the 96 & 97 WS6's were sent to SLP (before ASC took over in 98).

Piccolosan28, if your 99 is not a "SLP" SS, then it's not a SS. You can contact SLP with your VIN and they will give you all the information including your build number. If they do not have record of your car, then it's a Z28 that has been cloned.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

I have to throw the bs flag on that one. Just because it's not an SLP SS don't mean it's not an SS. SS's were just Z28's with an exhaust and hood and I believe that was it. SLP's had more. WU8 was the RPO code telling it was an SS. Yes they were sent to SLP to be converted but I. Mine's not an SLP SS, just a reg. SS.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99LS6SS
I have to throw the bs flag on that one. Just because it's not an SLP SS don't mean it's not an SS. SS's were just Z28's with an exhaust and hood and spoiler I believe that was it. SLP's had more. WU8 was the RPO code telling it was an SS. Yes they were sent to SLP to be converted but I. Mine's not an SLP SS, just a reg. SS.
Any SS that went to SLP is a "SLP SS." You don't have to have a fully optioned SS for it to be a SLP SS. Are you saying yours isn't an SLP SS because you don't have a SLP second sticker on the passenger door?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

When I bought my 01 SS in early last summer, it was a 100% optioned SLP SS. Had the chrome 10 spokes, black SS grill, SLP Center mount exhaust,intake,hurst short throw...everything. It has 2 SLP stickers on the door listing the factory installed option's. I paid 20k for it from a dealership with 43k on it. that was BEFORE the market started to take a huge crash.

The day I brought it home from the dealer...

Now:

Last edited by kidcamaro98; 03-05-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99LS6SS
I have to throw the bs flag on that one. Just because it's not an SLP SS don't mean it's not an SS. SS's were just Z28's with an exhaust and hood and I believe that was it. SLP's had more. WU8 was the RPO code telling it was an SS. Yes they were sent to SLP to be converted but I. Mine's not an SLP SS, just a reg. SS.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but all SS's are SLP cars. It's a fact.

Here's a thread from over 3 years ago in which I was voicing my pessimism about SLP. This was back when I was even more of an opinionated butthead than I am now. You'll also notice I posted a link to CamaroZ28 where Scott Settlemire posted about SLP and the SS.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...ss-camaro.html

Again, if you have a SS, contact SLP with your VIN and they will tell you what number your car is, what options it should have and how many are like it. What's stopping all of you non-believers from doing so?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Why can't it just be assumed that when someone says SLP SS they mean the Y2Y option? (dual/dual exhaust, blackwing intake, wheels, floormats, etc... ) Those are legit aftermarket appearance/performance mods.

edit: seems like i've been beaten to the punch.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kidcamaro, thats one nice looking ride! I see you've cleaned up your cme tips a little, mine looked like yours when you got it and even after a few hours of work I couldn't get them to look as good as I wanted to I got them powdercoated and the lip polished.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Sorry to burst your bubble, but all SS's are SLP cars. It's a fact.

Here's a thread from over 3 years ago in which I was voicing my pessimism about SLP. This was back when I was even more of an opinionated butthead than I am now. You'll also notice I posted a link to CamaroZ28 where Scott Settlemire posted about SLP and the SS.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...ss-camaro.html

Again, if you have a SS, contact SLP with your VIN and they will tell you what number your car is, what options it should have and how many are like it. What's stopping all of you non-believers from doing so?
do you have the contact info?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s1ck s0n
do you have the contact info?
Send David Hamburger (its his username as well) with your vin and ask him for your SLP number, thats what I did. If you want a fully documented piece of paper saying what SLP options you have, you can call SLP (their number is on their site) and buy it for like $60.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Kidcamaro, thats one nice looking ride! I see you've cleaned up your cme tips a little, mine looked like yours when you got it and even after a few hours of work I couldn't get them to look as good as I wanted to I got them powdercoated and the lip polished.
thanks

All I did was took a fine wire wheel brush, put it in a drill and shined it up. Then I took Mothers aluminum polish and went over them. Didn't even take me 45 mninutes. Every once in a while, I just hit it with mothers polish of simple green and clean them again.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
thanks

All I did was took a fine wire wheel brush, put it in a drill and shined it up. Then I took Mothers aluminum polish and went over them. Didn't even take me 45 mninutes. Every once in a while, I just hit it with mothers polish of simple green and clean them again.
Yeah I destroyed a Mother's powerball trying to clean them and then the only thing that really worked was a sanding block. But they look a lot better now...

Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I destroyed a Mother's powerball trying to clean them and then the only thing that really worked was a sanding block. But they look a lot better now...

What did you do polish them in bed?

Looks good.
Bill
Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
What did you do polish them in bed?

Looks good.
Bill
Haha no, my brother put them on his bed to take a picture of them to send to me because when my friend dropped them off I was down at school, about 3 1/3 hours away from home, and wanted to see what they looked like so he snapped a quick pic on his phone.

Quick Reply: worth it? SLP SS