Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam + bolt ons+REALLY good tune= 14 sec car
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could find a trashed LS1 car that would have an engine/trs/pcm for about $2-3k and simply bolt-on the engine to your car and you would be beating up mustangs all day every day. It might require a tad bit of work but all in all would be worth it.

I mean it is a simple bolt-on.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
You could find a trashed LS1 car that would have an engine/trs/pcm for about $2-3k and simply bolt-on the engine to your car and you would be beating up mustangs all day every day. It might require a tad bit of work but all in all would be worth it.

I mean it is a simple bolt-on.
Or an LT1 engine, they are all over the place.

I wanna put a Donovan engine in my car I just don't want anything Corvette in the camaro cause I wanna save the fun and enjoyment for when I do get a corvette in the near future.

No C5 Z06 rims, No LS1 for the camaro till I get the vette.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

isnt there a guy with a v6 firebird and a big turbo running 8s? i mena, i know a turbo swap isnt uncommon in those cars, just hard to justify it because for the money, you could have a V8 and a wayy better platform. but i know there are plenty of people out there who want to be different and make power different ways, and i respect that. my friend has a lumina z34 with a 100 shot that run 13s and will edge out bolt on lt1s. if you are willing to spend money, anything can be fast.

on a side note, ive heard from alot of people theres a big stall, full blot on cammed, ported heads V6 mustang all stripped on around here running high 11s (all motor obviously). ive never seen it, but 20ish people say its around here. if it is true, then its probably because of the weight loss, but im betting it runs like an 11.99 if it even runs an 11. im betting its got a killer suspension & some slicks too. ill go to midnight madness this month and try to see it run, if this car goes.......but i still dont think you could make an 11 second all motor V6 stang.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually, can you use the GTP supercharger or will it not work since thats FWD? forgive me, idk much about the 3800s.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
on a side note, ive heard from alot of people theres a big stall, full blot on cammed, ported heads V6 mustang all stripped on around here running high 11s (all motor obviously). ive never seen it, but 20ish people say its around here. if it is true, then its probably because of the weight loss, but im betting it runs like an 11.99 if it even runs an 11. im betting its got a killer suspension & some slicks too. ill go to midnight madness this month and try to see it run, if this car goes.......but i still dont think you could make an 11 second all motor V6 stang.
you would be pushed to do that in a GT..

actually, can you use the GTP supercharger or will it not work since thats FWD? forgive me, idk much about the 3800s.
it will work.. but you better know how to fab... and IIRC it wont clear the stock hood..
Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

isnt there a guy with a v6 firebird and a big turbo running 8s? i mena, i know a turbo swap isnt uncommon in those cars, just hard to justify it because for the money, you could have a V8 and a wayy better platform. but i know there are plenty of people out there who want to be different and make power different ways, and i respect that. my friend has a lumina z34 with a 100 shot that run 13s and will edge out bolt on lt1s. if you are willing to spend money, anything can be fast.
YUP there's a guy running around with a Big Turbo V6.

The reason why I choose a V6 was because I'm a fan of the 3.8 engines after going for a ride in an 89 Turbo Trans Am and Buick Grand National I no longer had interest in a V8.

When I was apart of CS-Fbodys I was the only V6 Camaro out there everyone else had the LS1's, when we went to the local car shows or on courses that I was the only V6 Car while everyone else had LT1's, LS1 and 350's. I loved being the only V6 Camaro there, I got the most people asking and had the most conversations from people as well as had a little V6 Communitity going which consisted of a Dodge V6, A Ford V6 and my V6 Camaro and that was cool.

I could have had an LT1 or LS1 car but I figured I wanted something diffrent since I can't get an exotic at the moment. Also if I wanted to in the future I could swap in a V8 but again I'm investing towards an exotic not a V8.

In the meantime I enjoy the V6 Car a lot, having owned 3 3rd gen's with Tuneport V8's the V6 is the most fun I have had so far out of all the Fbodys I have owned.

There's no way you can get a V6 or 4 cylinder to run those numbers without somekind of power adder.

I couldn't imagine a V6 running 11.9's, I raced a modified V6 mustang and I barely beat him dispite my car was hurting badly. It would be impressive though those cars start with a baseline of 145hp dirt slow but if you drop the dough it can be a beast.

Well not only that but where the throttle body is located it will hit the back of the firewall. You'd have to fab to point outward towards the nose of the car.

A guy over on Fullthrottlev6 did the L67 conversion to his L36 engine, it looked so simple to do but its a done of work at the end of the day your better off either getting a complete L67 into the car itself or droping in a GN 3.8 or going with a full V8 conversion.

The best route with these cars is a turbo or nitrious kit in my opinion
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel
Or an LT1 engine, they are all over the place.

I wanna put a Donovan engine in my car I just don't want anything Corvette in the camaro cause I wanna save the fun and enjoyment for when I do get a corvette in the near future.

No C5 Z06 rims, No LS1 for the camaro till I get the vette.
I understand I have fbody parts on my car, nothing from a vette, I will be getting some drag rims for her but yeah it is camaro I will be keeping it a camaro. Only thing I dide was put 69 Z28 badges on in all the stock 69 locations, like almost the front tip of the fender, centered on the rear, and up front it is offcentered a little.

OP I would suggest an LS1 swap or sell the v6 and get an LS1 they don't get that bad of gas mileage, with myine I get 16 city and 23 highway, I have 3:42 gears a 3k stall and built auto. I still get 23 mpg on the freeway when I run my AC too.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I understand I have fbody parts on my car, nothing from a vette, I will be getting some drag rims for her but yeah it is camaro I will be keeping it a camaro. Only thing I dide was put 69 Z28 badges on in all the stock 69 locations, like almost the front tip of the fender, centered on the rear, and up front it is offcentered a little.

OP I would suggest an LS1 swap or sell the v6 and get an LS1 they don't get that bad of gas mileage, with myine I get 16 city and 23 highway, I have 3:42 gears a 3k stall and built auto. I still get 23 mpg on the freeway when I run my AC too.

Getting an LS1 would really hurt me finanally although I could buy an LS1 camaro I don't want one I really want an LS1 Corvette though or a GTM kitcar. Id also like to keep the V6 cause this is about as close to a GN or TTA I will get in my life time because this car offers the body style I like and kind of the engine I want.

Most of my buddys want me to swap in the LSX powerplant and I'm like no! thats gonna kill me in price.

My mechanic can do me an LS1 swap for about 2k or an LT1 for about 1500. The V6 gets paid off in November of this year and I will hold the title to the vehicle meaning I can start modifying the machinics in it.

The good thing is the LS1 is easy to find and is cheap its not like a 2JZ or a Lamborghini that you've gotta jump on top of that as soon as it hits the market.

A Donovan! Thats what I want for my Camaro if I do a swap!. its something totally diffrent than what everyone else is doing to their camaro's. Those things can put down well over 1000hp. Its the same engine used in the Vector W8 Supercar.

The only major problem is they are very pricey and I can't find the exact motor that they used anymore.

Quick Reply: 3.8L v6