Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

3.8L v6

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8L v6

what is the difference between the 2002 camaro v6 and the 02 mustang v6?

My v6 pulls good up til around 98. I am assuming it is a limiter and am working on that. I went online to find a few things to help it open up some but everytime I google it comes up Mustang bs

are there any significant differences?

(For anyone who cares: the supercharger idea is gone. I am just gonna replace exhaust, get rid of the limiter and make a few modifications to get the most outta what I got. Me and dad are going in on a project car to have some fun with.)
Old 07-07-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you will find your Q&A here.

www.fullthrottlev6.com
www.firebirdv6.com
Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is this "V6" you speaketh of..?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 PM

fbodyrs96: Thanks for the links

lemons12: the v6 is the engine for those poor suckers who cannot afford or are not lucky enough to have\find an LS engine

I know they are the subject of myth but they are very real.
Sadly this mythical monstrosity is occupying my engine bay and until I can find some excess cash I cannot chase it away
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Crank_shaft
fbodyrs96: Thanks for the links

lemons12: the v6 is the engine for those poor suckers who cannot afford or are not lucky enough to have\find an LS engine

I know they are the subject of myth but they are very real.
Sadly this mythical monstrosity is occupying my engine bay and until I can find some excess cash I cannot chase it away
just drop it off at my house.. ill take care of it..

man, prices are coming down though.. check my threads.. i just sold mine for 5100..
you can pick them up all day long for 4500.. just have to be patient to find a good one..
besides, they get just as good gas mileage, if not better...
Old 07-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Teching In

dont let anybody tell you v6 3.8 camaros suck. ya i do agree the LS1 is just straight up a bad *** motor and there is no comparing a V6 to an LS1 but i bought a 97 V6 camaro with some mods for a $1000. i pull LT1s with bolt on's and mustang GTs with bolt on's all day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPVoZbkb3c
Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Turbo that 6.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rushlow87
dont let anybody tell you v6 3.8 camaros suck. ya i do agree the LS1 is just straight up a bad *** motor and there is no comparing a V6 to an LS1 but i bought a 97 V6 camaro with some mods for a $1000. i pull LT1s with bolt on's and mustang GTs with bolt on's all day.
Come on now, having owned a 1999 3.8 with simple bolt ons it was a quick car but your not pulling on LT1 with bolt ons all day long. A stock LT1 should run low 14's-14.5's throw a few bolt-ons and your looking at 14.0's high 13's. Its gonna take a lot to get that 3.8 into the 13's. My lil brother has a 03 GT with a couple of bolt-ons and just cut a 13.8 and he isnt the best driver in the world.. The 3.8's with turbos and other power adders can get pretty fast I have seen them in the low 11's. But a bolt on car with a great driver and tires isn't gonna do much better than 14's at best...
Old 07-09-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And from your video that guy was at your fender by the end I wouldn't call that pulling on them either. I am not saying you can't beat a GT or LT1 but I am saying its not going to be the norm. Esp if they have bolt ons..
Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

I owned/built a 400rwhp turbo V6......
Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
I owned/built a 400rwhp turbo V6......
I knew a couple guys that made some good power with their V6's I am not saying that, I am saying a simple bolt-on V6 isnt walking all over bolt on V8's
Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

there is a local here who has a turbo v6 with full bolt ons and a cam..

he runs mid-high 8s...

thats not quite enough to pull bolt on lt1s all day... MAYBE tie, usually get beat..

upgrade!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
there is a local here who has a turbo v6 with full bolt ons and a cam..

he runs mid-high 8s...

thats not quite enough to pull bolt on lt1s all day... MAYBE tie, usually get beat..

upgrade!
A TURBO isnt a simple bolt on!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
A TURBO isnt a simple bolt on!!!
that was my point...
Old 07-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

what is the difference between the 2002 camaro v6 and the 02 mustang v6?

My v6 pulls good up til around 98. I am assuming it is a limiter and am working on that. I went online to find a few things to help it open up some but everytime I google it comes up Mustang bs

are there any significant differences?

(For anyone who cares: the supercharger idea is gone. I am just gonna replace exhaust, get rid of the limiter and make a few modifications to get the most outta what I got. Me and dad are going in on a project car to have some fun with.)
Not quite a 2002 V6 Camaro and a 2002 V6 Mustang but I've got a V6 Camaro and i had a friend who had a 3.8 Mustang 98, he had bolt on's, gears and such while I am completely bone stock and I still beat him by a fender, dispite my car needed coolant badly and his car was running flawless.

The 94-98 Mustang Where **** for power only 150hp and are dirt slow bone stock. The later 99-03 V6's had 190hp(Which is very questionable in my opinion) and that put them right up there with the 3.8 Camaro's. They had better aftermarket support than the Camaro's ever did V6 wise.

Is the V6 Mustang a better overall car? I don't know because I'am considering on buying on myself to go with my Camaro, I looked into a V6 Mustang before of that year and it was a cool machine for the dollar but id still rather drive my 96 RS. If your a die hard Mustang guy and can't get a GT then get a 3.8, there's plenty of them around and in good condition. Id rather drive a V6 Mustang than a Honda civic for fun anyday.

Performance wise the Camaro is still a far better car in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:07 PM

What kind of bolts on specifically? the only ones I know for a v6 are cold air intake, exhaust change and maybe a cam (if you wanna call a cam a simple bolt on ). Well, in the simple category anyway.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel
Not quite a 2002 V6 Camaro and a 2002 V6 Mustang but I've got a V6 Camaro and i had a friend who had a 3.8 Mustang 98, he had bolt on's, gears and such while I am completely bone stock and I still beat him by a fender, dispite my car needed coolant badly and his car was running flawless.

The 94-98 Mustang Where **** for power only 150hp and are dirt slow bone stock. The later 99-03 V6's had 190hp(Which is very questionable in my opinion) and that put them right up there with the 3.8 Camaro's. They had better aftermarket support than the Camaro's ever did V6 wise.

Is the V6 Mustang a better overall car? I don't know because I'am considering on buying on myself to go with my Camaro, I looked into a V6 Mustang before of that year and it was a cool machine for the dollar but id still rather drive my 96 RS. If your a die hard Mustang guy and can't get a GT then get a 3.8, there's plenty of them around and in good condition. Id rather drive a V6 Mustang than a Honda civic for fun anyday.

Performance wise the Camaro is still a far better car in my opinion.
I think the Camaro is a superior car as well. What I wanted to know is this: if there are no significant differences in the engine then a Mustang v6 bolt on should work for the Camaro. That way I won't have to spend days looking for specific camaro upgrades if the mustang upgrades (which are everywhere) would work.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the Camaro is a superior car as well. What I wanted to know is this: if there are no significant differences in the engine then a Mustang v6 bolt on should work for the Camaro. That way I won't have to spend days looking for specific camaro upgrades if the mustang upgrades (which are everywhere) would work.
just because they are the same liter/diplacement does not mean the parts are interchangeable.. they are completely different makes..

will lt1 parts fit an ls1?
and those are even the same make/model.. just different years..
Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Teching In

wow... you have got to be kidding.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Sadly Mustang parts just won't work on V6 Camaro engines Not even the Supercharger out of the GTP can fit. I wish that was the case id have a saleen supercharger right now Just because they are both 3.8 V6's doesn't mean all the Mustang Parts will work on a Camaro.

Its possible with a ton of machining work though and that can cost thousands of dollars to the point where you could have bought a V8 with bolt on's. Its just better to get a simple nitrious and gears kit if you wanna go fast.

What kind of bolts on specifically? the only ones I know for a v6 are cold air intake, exhaust change and maybe a cam (if you wanna call a cam a simple bolt on ). Well, in the simple category anyway.
If you wanna beat a 94-98 GT thats not hard to do with a 3.8 Camaro off the showroom floor cause the only work you have to do then is to yourself. You'd better hope he's not modified though.

Donno what it would take for a V6 to pull on an LT1 but i'm guessing its quite a bit especially a modified one as stated in the video.

Last edited by VF1Skullangel; 08-02-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.8L v6