Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

my '00 SS pre-build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how well that huge cam is going to work out on a road course, or especially auto-x. That cam will be very peaky, and is probably better suited for the drag strip. Just something to think about.

Another thing to think about, is you will be making a pretty decent amount of power on that POS rear. I am barely making over 400hp, and I really wish I would have done the 12 bolt, or 9" before hand. I don't want to take my car to the drag strip, because I am scared to break the rear.

Other than that, that set up seems pretty well thought out, and should be a very fun car. Just be carefuly where you spend your money.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where abouts in League City area are you at?

I've got a friend of mine that has a loaded 12 bolt rear with a 4.11 and a Detroit True Trac. . . . . he's like to swap rear ends . . . shoot a PM to "thats_10kid"
Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicy J
I don't know how well that huge cam is going to work out on a road course, or especially auto-x. That cam will be very peaky, and is probably better suited for the drag strip. Just something to think about.

Another thing to think about, is you will be making a pretty decent amount of power on that POS rear. I am barely making over 400hp, and I really wish I would have done the 12 bolt, or 9" before hand. I don't want to take my car to the drag strip, because I am scared to break the rear.

Other than that, that set up seems pretty well thought out, and should be a very fun car. Just be carefuly where you spend your money.
well really before i bought the h/c i was gonna talk to the guys at TSP and see what they recomend. the texas giant just looked appealing cuz i didnt want something as big as a MS4 etc. currently i have a 224r and its got an awesome mid range. so i might consider the 228r as an upgrade.

as far as the rear end, does anyone know how much a built 10 bolt can take? i've always assumed with high quality guts it can take @ 450 rwhp. but that was just my best guess. i'm not sure i have room in my budget to afford a 12 bolt swap.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tootall
where abouts in League City area are you at?

I've got a friend of mine that has a loaded 12 bolt rear with a 4.11 and a Detroit True Trac. . . . . he's like to swap rear ends . . . shoot a PM to "thats_10kid"
i live right next to clear creek hs. we might have seen each other around and even known it.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
well really before i bought the h/c i was gonna talk to the guys at TSP and see what they recomend. the texas giant just looked appealing cuz i didnt want something as big as a MS4 etc. currently i have a 224r and its got an awesome mid range. so i might consider the 228r as an upgrade.

as far as the rear end, does anyone know how much a built 10 bolt can take? i've always assumed with high quality guts it can take @ 450 rwhp. but that was just my best guess. i'm not sure i have room in my budget to afford a 12 bolt swap.
You didn't want something as big as a MS4, so you chose the Texas Giant? That doesn't really make any sense. Personally, for a car that performs well on a road course, as well as a drag strip, I would choose a Torquer.

I would definitely recommend calling/PMing TSP, those guys will know their ****.

Don't waste your money upgrading a 10 bolt. It is exactly that, a waste of money. You simply can't build them up to withstand any kind of power.

Your best is to find a used 12 bolt. I have seen them for under $2k.

With all of the money you are about to drop into this car, I think the rear is the worst place to skimp out on. I would leave your T56 alone, and spend that money on a rear.

I am not trying to put you down. I just want to help you out.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Cool, Congratulations,
Good Cam Choice
Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about this... skip out on the Fast for right now, and buy an LS6 intake. My logic behind getting the LS6 intake is it will be worth the same amount of money when you take it off. Buy it for 300, and sell it for 300. Think of it as borrowing an LS6 intake.

Also, skip out on all the 10 bolt stuff.

Now, either save up the rest of the money, or cut something else off your list.

I am telling you, buy the rear end now. If you don't, you will regret it now too far down the road.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

i'm thinking if i do the 12 bolt i'm gonna scrap almost everything except rear suspension and h/c/i. cuz a strange 12 bolt is $2,585 which is a lot more than i want to spend on any one area. ******* GM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm thinking if i do the 12 bolt i'm gonna scrap almost everything except rear suspension and h/c/i. cuz a strange 12 bolt is $2,585 which is a lot more than i want to spend on any one area. ******* GM.
Haha, do what you want to do man. I just think the rear end is the most important mod, given you are rolling around on a 10 bolt.

I really don't see the trans as being necessary yet. The Fast is even less necessary.

I think if you did H/C, full suspension, and a rear end, you wouldn't exactly be disappointed with the finished product.

As I said, its up to you. Do what ever makes you the happiest. I am just saying what I would personally do.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

hmmm...i knew i made this thread now for a reason lol.

well i'm deffinately going to have to chew on it for a while. crunch the numbers and prioritize what's most important to me.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm...i knew i made this thread now for a reason lol.

well i'm deffinately going to have to chew on it for a while. crunch the numbers and prioritize what's most important to me.
I would think about it for months man. Its your hard earned money, and you need to make sure that hard earned money makes the car function as well as it can. Research, research,research.

I don't think you would be disappointed at all with your original idea. I am sure you would be ecstatic when it was finished. I just want to put different ideas in your head.

You could always buy the rear end later, and buy everything on your list. But I would definitely look into how well that cam would perform on a road course. Ask questions to TSP, and the road course forum. Those guys will know a hell of a lot more about it than I do.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alrighty, ill give my opinion and hope I dont offend you but its just my experiences.

I would save that k member for last. If you do get it and drive your car often I suggest poly ends instead of the rod ends pictured.

Get all of your rear suspension(panhard,lcas, ect.) adjustable. Non adjustable does not let you dial it in.

Long torque arm, just my opinion

I would save the cost of upgrading axles, gears, posi ect and just get a 12 bolt. I am very happy with my 9" but its a bit overkill. If you plan on adding nitrous at all, just get a 9"

Id scrap the strut tower brace. Its really for looks, that being said I have one on my T/A.

Go for weld in SFCs. They are cheaper and do the job that bolt ins will not.

Shocks, I had KYBs and IMO they were junk. I bought some used Konis and they were a huge improvement.

You can save a good amount by going with a used FAST

That cam is huge but thats all preference. I have a 235/240 112+4 similar to a TSP Tsunami and im very happy with it and it drives very nice.

I like the heads, I made 468rwhp and 435rwtq with my 5.3s and a fast 92 through a 9" with 4.10s.

Lastly the clutch. I have driven and had quite a few clutches, Tex, Centerforce, LS7, Monster. The Monster was best bang for buck, Centerforce was nothing but problems in quality and service, Tex was great holding power but chattered. The one clutch im really fond of is the RPS dual organic. It is only slightly stiffer than stock but engages smooth and holds awesome.

Like I said alot of this is just my preference and im sure ill get flamed for some of the things but these are things that I have learned in the ton of money I have wasted on my cars.Good luck with it, car looks badass.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

thanks for your .02 man. really apreciate it.

also how do u like your 5.3's? if u had to buy heads again would u get 5.3's or something else?

also why long tq arm?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u live right down the street from me. i'm almost always at the kemah meet. and every now and then will hit the other spots. what other suspension mods u have done to yours? i'm assuming we are talking about the 93 Z?
my other mods are qa1 coilovers on all corners, hotckis lcas , hotckis panhard bar, hotckis sway bars and thats pretty much it. and yes were talking about the 93 z28. let me know when your ready to check out the car or shoot me a pm when you get freed up. been looking for a reason to drive it.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would take exssve's advice on suspension. Even if he is kind of a d bag, he knows hit ****. That 93 has the perfect stance.

Another guy you could talk to about suspension, and any other questions on a road racing set up, is Sam Strano. The guy is a sponsor here, and I don't think there is anyone as knowledgable about road race suspension on this site as him. He will not steer you in the wrong direction.

If you want a custom cam, you could talk to Patrick G, or Predator Z and they will spec you out a cam that will work perfect for your needs. A cam they spec will be better for you than any off the shelf cam out there.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

aight sounds good. i have a feeling ill end up copying exssve's set up lol

btw exssve what qa1's are you using? got a website/link?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

wow so good news, i will probly start making enough money to start saving up for the build now. i wont necessarily have to wait till after deployment. stock market FTMFW.

AND the money i make over seas will get invested and i will be making greater gains. i just hope i don't get fucked by this "recession".

anyways i guess i need to get cracking on making a budget and making a more solid decision on my parts list.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would skip the K member and even the transmission rebuild and get a 12 bolt/9". The T-56 should be tough enough to stand up to what you're throwing at it, and I dont think the new K member is necessary. This frees up around $2k for a new rear!

Like others have said, do what you want, but it won't change your total cost much (not more than $500 or so) and will be more fun driving when you know you wont blow your rear end out!

Quick Reply: my '00 SS pre-build thread