Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Project idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project idea

I'm looking at a '01 Z28 for a project car right now. Body and interior are great, LS1 sounds like it has a spun crank or rod bearing. If I get it, I'm planning on just replacing the engine with a GMPP LSX 454 crate.

Lets say I take it this far, and I have a solid tranny and rear end in the car. Do you think I can leave the chassis stock and enjoy, or am I going to break something?

I'm intending to make it a nice street/strip car. Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with bigger numbers you always run the risk of hurting these chasis. at least some sfc's wouldn't be a bad idea
Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'de at least do triangular sfc's. and maybe a few other things. but a cage? probly not.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. Will definetly get those subframe connectors if I end up getting it

a strut tower brace looks like a good idea too. Haven't owned a 4th gen before, is the difference of a brace that noticable?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I've noticed I can save at least $5,000 on the project if I start with a V-6 model instead, and would probably have a nicer body to work with. Not to mention I could save one from DD duty

Aside from the PITA to re-wire the car and shoe horn in an LSX, is their any reason not to start with a V-6 if I'm swapping the Engine, trans, and Rear end anyway?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u need a complete camaro ss body harness for some reason let me know
Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you start with a V6 you do have to change a lot of other stuff including rad., cluster and all the accesories. in the long it not that cheap!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billy.johnson
If you start with a V6 you do have to change a lot of other stuff including rad., cluster and all the accesories. in the long it not that cheap!!!!!!!!!!
Just considering it, I can do all my own work minus body & paint. I've looked into it a bit more, still may go the V-6 route...

In my area, it's easy to get a V-6 92-95 camaro for under $1,000 that runs with a good body. I can get a tubular K-member, subframe connectors, and strut brace for about another $1,000. Then for the LSX swap I can build my own wiring harness, get accesories & exhaust, and upgrade my fuel system for about another $800 with an A/C delete. An extra $400 will easily get a newer gage cluster and LS-something ECU for the engine. That's about $3,200 for a good shell ready for the built engine, tranny, and 12 bolt rear I would put in an LS1 camaro anyway.

Around here you still can't touch an LS1 camaro for any less than $7,000 unless it's wrecked. Price difference alone already pays for a complete Moser 12 bolt and a Monster transmissions 4L-60E built to survive 650 hp, and still have some change left for a radiator and a tuning program for the engine. Plus since it's 92-95 I'm looking at, emmisions will be way easier to pass if I ever move to a state that enforces inspections. Aftermarket cats and a lean tune will pass easy.

Either way, I'm headed off on another deployment. The car won't be bought for awhile, I have alot of time to save up for it

Quick Reply: Project idea