Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Door Handle Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Handle Removal?

I noticed today that my passenger door handle has a chip in the paint. I'm a bit of a perfectionist with my car, and this bugs the hell out of me.

So I need to know how hard it is to replace this. Also, should I replace, repaint, or what?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know as well since i just ordered a new door handle to repair the rattling one on my drivers side door. I found a video on youtube showing someone removing the handle but it doesn't really show the specifics. Luckily since my car is a 95 and black, i don't have to paint the new handle to match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgTDUbYeeTg
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very easy. Take off the door panel and there are two screws on the inside. It's straightforward and easy. The rattles you were experiencing were most likely from a small wire spring inside the handle. They keep the handle nice and tight, but when they slip out of position, the handle will rattle like crazy. If the spring is still there, you can get it back in position and be good to go
Old 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did mine tonight, see thread in lt1 section. the bolts are 11mm took 1-1.5 hrs since i accidentliy didn't put the rod into the hole....umm...anyway, once i got that figured out it went pretty good. the plastic clip was on backward on the new handle but i figured that out before i put it on was able to reverse it the door sounds so much more solid when it closes. I chose not to do my passenger side handle since i thought it was super tight. it's not near as tight as the brand new drivers side handle but it still has its pin and doesn't rattle so i'm gonna leave it. There is a place online that you can get both handles for $25 shipped which is ~ 1/2 of what they go for on ebay (usually $20 each plus shipping)

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,1024

Quick Reply: Door Handle Removal?