Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

camaro ss questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default camaro ss questions

ok so i bought a 1996 ss camaro the other day and i have a few quick questions regarding the authenticity of my car...... the car i bought came with the original window sticker, slp option sheet, and ss owners manual which makes me think it is an SS. It also has the slp codes on the drivers side door and has the plate on the center console #390....but the reason i am debating otherwise is it has the ss tag on the rear panel but not the bowtie and second the color scheme it has the 95 color scheme where the car is one color( mine is red ) but the mirrors an roof is black. in 96 they change to it all being one color but was the style my car has still available with the two colors..... also in 96 what was beside the ss in the rear panel was it a bowtie or a z28 cuz i have seen pictures with both..........Finally could anyone please tell me how u would no FOR SURE that it is an SS car
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Dave Hamberger on the Special Vehicle section w/ your Vin# and he will let u know.His dad started SLP now he runs it.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
ok so i bought a 1996 ss camaro the other day and i have a few quick questions regarding the authenticity of my car...... the car i bought came with the original window sticker, slp option sheet, and ss owners manual which makes me think it is an SS. It also has the slp codes on the drivers side door and has the plate on the center console #390....but the reason i am debating otherwise is it has the ss tag on the rear panel but not the bowtie and second the color scheme it has the 95 color scheme where the car is one color( mine is red ) but the mirrors an roof is black. in 96 they change to it all being one color but was the style my car has still available with the two colors..... also in 96 what was beside the ss in the rear panel was it a bowtie or a z28 cuz i have seen pictures with both..........Finally could anyone please tell me how u would no FOR SURE that it is an SS car
i thought they started painting the mirrors in 99 or 00,and i thought all ss had the black roof except for 02 anniversary edition
Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

They did start painting the mirrors in 96 but given the amount of evidence on the car I'd say it's most likely a previous owner changed the mirrors as a personal preference.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black&White
They did start painting the mirrors in 96 but given the amount of evidence on the car I'd say it's most likely a previous owner changed the mirrors as a personal preference.
you are 10lbs of sh.. in a 5lb bag ,in 2000 is when they started painting the mirrors http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-4.shtml
Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Davo346
you are 10lbs of sh.. in a 5lb bag ,in 2000 is when they started painting the mirrors http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-4.shtml
my my, someone is rather rude
I looked in my standard catalog of camaro, and although it says the same thing as your source for 2000, every picture except 2 that I didn't look closely at before from 96-2002 shows the camaro with body colored mirrors. Thus why I thought they started then. Don't know why so many in the book are like that when it supposedly didn't start until 2000. I also hadn't read the section about 2000 since the pictures in the previous years showed them matching so I figured it either just didn't say it or I just missed it in my scanning.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black&White
my my, someone is rather rude
I looked in my standard catalog of camaro, and although it says the same thing as your source for 2000, every picture except 2 that I didn't look closely at before from 96-2002 shows the camaro with body colored mirrors. Thus why I thought they started then. Don't know why so many in the book are like that when it supposedly didn't start until 2000. I also hadn't read the section about 2000 since the pictures in the previous years showed them matching so I figured it either just didn't say it or I just missed it in my scanning.
im sorry very being so rude,but it gets old when people talk about what they really dont know about,it seems like more than half the people on here are just talking just to be talking,without doing any research,or any experience,which basicly is b.s. if you ask me.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Teching In

I would like to know what manifold and throttlebody i should buy. I saw a 102mm throttleboby or should I buy the 92mm?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c2002ss
I would like to know what manifold and throttlebody i should buy. I saw a 102mm throttleboby or should I buy the 92mm?
hey dude wrong place to be asking that really ,but on a question like that ,you need to tell more info on your engine,a 92 mm is too big for a ls1 or ls6 intake anyway ,the opening isnt that big on the intake.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mikelb51bk
agreed with the 2000 starting of painting mirrors
98 camaros came with painted mirrors, my 98 ss did from gm.

Quick Reply: camaro ss questions