Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Harness bar location on 02 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness bar location on 02 SS?

I'm looking for a horizontal bar to locate behind the front seats to attache some 4 point harnesses to in my 02 camaro. Not a roll bar by any means, just a bar for the harnesses.

Where can I find one, and where on the sides do they mount?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

6litereater designs (sponsor)
Old 08-27-2010, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to remove the rear seat belts, it bolts in their place
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

I am looking for the exact same thing... I just bought two Sparco Milano 2 seats for my '02 Trans-Am. I am just looking for a harness bar to put my 5 point on to. Are there any other ones besides the 6LE one? Or is that my only shot?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Here you go fellas, and we're sponsors:

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=209
Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Does this still allow function of the rear seats? Or is putting people back there not gonna work? I am eventually looking to do a rear seat delete, but until then I would still like to be able to put passengers there. Thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

^^^ I was also wondering about being able to use the rear seats. Is there anywhere else to mount a harness bar or make a custom one that is safe for both the front and rear passengers? Like across the top where the front seat belts retract or in the rear floor area?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Hold on a sec...Harness bar for FRONT seats...bolts into stock location of REAR seat belt assemblies...the bar goes along in a "U" shaped form...at approx. the same height the entire bar...unless you're telling a midget to climb under the bar I don't think that rear seat usage for passengers is gonna work out so well?! In all seriousness...you could still use your rear seats for storage space.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
Hold on a sec...Harness bar for FRONT seats...bolts into stock location of REAR seat belt assemblies...the bar goes along in a "U" shaped form...at approx. the same height the entire bar...unless you're telling a midget to climb under the bar I don't think that rear seat usage for passengers is gonna work out so well?! In all seriousness...you could still use your rear seats for storage space.
If you were replying to me, I am talking about another location for the bar or mounting points all together. I know the 6LE bar wouldn't be safe for rear passengers.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irisheer
If you were replying to me, I am talking about another location for the bar or mounting points all together. I know the 6LE bar wouldn't be safe for rear passengers.
As far as mounting locations, there really aren't any good mounting points short of welding a partial cage in. Our's and everyone else's harness bars are mostly for looks. Have you seen where they mount? They mount to the flimsy metal of the body where the stock rear seatbelts attach. It just isn't the safest location, but people asked for it, so we made it. BUT we did improve on the LG design. Our design is "safer" than theirs but the mounting point is still the weak point. No harness bar is "legal" unless it's welded to the frame. Let me find the other thread with the harness bar debate.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the link on harness bars... it's a good read too. There are pics of our harness bar as well.

-Mike

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-c...ess-bar-5.html
Old 09-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, we're the only one on the market. Only other option is to fined a used LG but they are impossible to find, not as attractive (IMHO) and usually go for the same price used...
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the link and the information. I was EVENTUALLY going for the cage... But until then I wanted the 5 point harness to work with the seats I got. Looks weird with stock belts and racing seats. I already have my harnesses as well... Hmmmm
Old 09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dbs1
I'm looking for a horizontal bar to locate behind the front seats to attache some 4 point harnesses to in my 02 camaro. Not a roll bar by any means, just a bar for the harnesses.

Where can I find one, and where on the sides do they mount?
http://tinypic.com/r/2lbdmiq/7 this is what we need, im looking too but this is all i like, but its for a vette damnt SHARKBAR
Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irisheer
^^^ I was also wondering about being able to use the rear seats. Is there anywhere else to mount a harness bar or make a custom one that is safe for both the front and rear passengers? Like across the top where the front seat belts retract or in the rear floor area?
if your car is wild enough to need harnesses then is it a daily? my assumption would be no......so if it is not a daily why would you need to put people in the back?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crispytoast
if your car is wild enough to need harnesses then is it a daily? my assumption would be no......so if it is not a daily why would you need to put people in the back?
My car is a daily, at the moment, but will be a weekend/canyon car...that's why. Also, back seats would be for the kids when we take them to the sitter's house on the way to cruising. I don't drive like a maniac, but I do want everything to be safe as possible for everyone.

Quick Reply: Harness bar location on 02 SS?