Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Picked up my new 01' Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has a 5.0 from previous owner. I like it now that I'm use to it but I am not overly impressed so if I was buying a shifter for it I would try the mgw
Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright thanks for the input, I am leaning toward the MGW. Anyone else?

BTW, I changed out my trans fluid and put some new Redline fluid in it today, and it smoothed out the shifting a good bit. Its still not perfect, but it is pretty close.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

i have the pro 5.0 in my car and love it, i have the drill mod done and stock master cylinder and never miss a shift and i shift at 7k
Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright I'll keep that in mind. I have read several things now about people with the Monster Stage 3 clutch having problems shifting, even with the Tick master cylinder installed. Mine is a lot better now that I think I have the Tick unit adjusted correctly and the new trans fluid in it. I have the factory Hurst shifter with a Lou's Short Stick on it now, but I definitely think a new aftermarket one would improve it. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97_ek
Thanks, yeah I am already looking around for one. I may end up having to just rebuild this one temporarily and get a 9" or 12 bolt later on. I also considered getting a Strange S60 off of here. I am in college right now though, so I have to be careful about how much money I drop into it. I cant wait to really launch it hard one time though! If I run across some sort of deal on here for one used I may go that route. We'll see.
a lot of people say dont waste your time rebuilding a 10 bolt but i had it done but i dont go to track or anything either. If you do rebuild it I recommend a ratech overhaul kit and Ratech solid spacer for the pinion so far everything has worked great.

Love those black wheels good choice!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HarlotSS
a lot of people say dont waste your time rebuilding a 10 bolt but i had it done but i dont go to track or anything either. If you do rebuild it I recommend a ratech overhaul kit and Ratech solid spacer for the pinion so far everything has worked great.

Love those black wheels good choice!
Thanks I appreciate it. The only way I will rebuild the 10 bolt now is if something comes up and I just dont have the money to buy an S60. I still have to wait for these Centerline wheels to sale though before I can order my rear. It sucks that I cant put them on the classifieds here yet!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks I appreciate it. The only way I will rebuild the 10 bolt now is if something comes up and I just dont have the money to buy an S60. I still have to wait for these Centerline wheels to sale though before I can order my rear. It sucks that I cant put them on the classifieds here yet!
You shouldn't have much trouble finding a buyer for Your Centerlines, when You do, give Me a call for a great deal on an S60!
Carl
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Very nice.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
You shouldn't have much trouble finding a buyer for Your Centerlines, when You do, give Me a call for a great deal on an S60!
Carl
I'm sure I will be going through you for my new S60, and I cant wait to order it! I actually PM'd you a few weeks ago about some general information, and you got back with me at like 6:00 in the morning haha. Great customer service already from Carl guys. Hopefully I'll be in touch with you soon.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

i just wanted to really give a lot of thanks to carl at crp when i ordered my s60, and front suspension. i was on the phone with him numerous times and he was very helpful with any issues i had or questions. weekend or night he always answered or called back. and then the amazing deals and the quality of the s60 and suspension it blows everyone else out of the water IMO!!!!
and 97_ek i really recomend you go that route as well!!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Teching In

you buy this car out of FL from a guy named cory?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sure did, I still talk to him a good bit about the car and try to keep him updated on what all I'm doing with it.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I finally got the car shifting 100%, and I was able to take it to the strip. I only made 1 pass because I am trying to save this rearend as long a possible. I rolled off the line easy like I was on the street in hopes of saving the rearend, and I ran a 12.74 at 101 on street tires. I was very satisfied with it considering how easy I launched it, and I shifted from 3rd to 2nd at the end of the run That explains the really low trap speed. Don't ask me how I managed to do that, but at least nothing broke. I looked it up, and apparently there have been several people who have done that with f-bodies for some reason. Anyways, I'd say with an S60/gears/ and some radials Itll run 11s for sure. That being said, I need someone to buy these Centerline wheels soon haha.

I also ordered new Prothane Motor Mounts and a new rubber tranny mount because I think some of the popping under the car might be coming from the exhaust popping the floor. I was originally thinking it was the rearend popping when I was taking off, but it kind of feels like its coming from right behind the front seats. It only happens when I am taking off (easy or hard launch). Any ideas what else it may be besides the motor rocking back and forth causing something to hit the floorpans?

Also, I am trying find some pics of the stock rear brakes set-up on a 4 channel rearend if anyone can provide some. I need to see how the reluctor wheels, the drum brakes, backing plates, etc look like on the car. I have some of the stock brake parts, but I need to know what all I'm missing. Off the top of my head I have 1 good caliper, two backing plates and dust shields, and my ebrake cables. Arent the parking brake pads supposed to be attached to the backing plates? Where do the reluctor wheels attach to the brakes? It sucks putting stuff back that I didn't take out because I don't know exactly how it all works.

Last edited by 97_ek; 10-05-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM
FormerVendor

Well I finally got the car shifting 100%, and I was able to take it to the strip. I only made 1 pass because I am trying to save this rearend as long a possible. I rolled off the line easy like I was on the street in hopes of saving the rearend, and I ran a 12.74 at 101 on street tires. I was very satisfied with it considering how easy I launched it; I only had a 2.1 60'. I think it should trap a little faster once I get the new rearend with some shorter gears. I'd say with an S60/gears/ and some radials Itll run 11s for sure. That being said, I need someone to buy these Centerline wheels soon haha.

I also ordered new Prothane Motor Mounts and a new rubber tranny mount because I think some of the popping under the car might be coming from the exhaust popping the floor. I was originally thinking it was the rearend popping when I was taking off, but it kind of feels like its coming from right behind the front seats. It only happens when I am taking off (easy or hard launch). Any ideas what else it may be besides the motor rocking back and forth causing something to hit the floorpans?

Also, I am trying find some pics of the stock rear brakes set-up on a 4 channel rearend if anyone can provide some. I need to see how the reluctor wheels, the drum brakes, backing plates, etc look like on the car. I have some of the stock brake parts, but I need to know what all I'm missing. Off the top of my head I have 1 good caliper, two backing plates and dust shields, and my ebrake cables. Arent the parking brake pads supposed to be attached to the backing plates? Where do the reluctor wheels attach to the brakes? It sucks putting stuff back that I didn't take out because I don't know exactly how it all works.
Here is part of what You asked for...

http://gmoem.com/chevrolet/1999/cama..._mf04_038.html

Hope it helps.
Carl
Old 09-19-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a lot Carl. That shows me what all I will need for the parking brakes at least.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Thats a nice car. Like those black wheels you got. I've always been a fan of black wheels.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice ride bro! I just picked mine up a couple weeks ago. These HCI LS1's are a friggin blast lol
Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Very nice ride bro! I just picked mine up a couple weeks ago. These HCI LS1's are a friggin blast lol
I appreciate it, and yeah I'm having a ton of fun with mine so far. Still just trying to get eveything put back in the car that was taken out for weight reduction before. As soon as I get the stock brakes back on it and put a full exhaust on it it will be a great DD. Right now it is a little loud and the ABS is thrown off because its no longer hooked up to the rear wheels. I about wrecked it the other day on a wet road because the car locked up and skidded sideways I wouldve been sick.

Originally Posted by wisdom_23
Thats a nice car. Like those black wheels you got. I've always been a fan of black wheels.
Thanks, I really like them too. I wish the other set were all 17s so I could switch them out for a different look every now and then.

Last edited by 97_ek; 10-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well time for a little update. Well for some good news, I ordered a complete set of rear brakes/abs stuff from a guy on here, and I should be putting them on next weekend. I'm just waiting on the backing plates to get here. As soon as I get those brakes on, the Aerospace brakes will be for sale with the Centerline wheels. That will make it possible for other f-body owners to get these wheels and make them fit.

Bad News: After I got home from the drag strip I noticed a loud ticking noise from under the hood. My first thought was that I had messed something up internally, but it turns out it was just my electric waterpump. I was a little relieved to find out that was all it was, but it still sucks. I checked on getting another one, but the Mezeire Street Pumps are roughly $700, and I wasn't about to drop that kind of cash on a new one. I went to the local parts store and picked up a new OEM waterpump to hold me for a while.

Good News: Luckily the water pump itself is still functional. The idler pulley on it had a bearing go bad, and it was causing the pulley to rub pretty badly and not rotate freely. I called Mezeire yesterday to see if they can just replace the pulley/bearings on the front of it, and they said it would be about $150 for everything. I will be sending that pump off to them soon to get that fixed. I like the fact that my car used to run a little cooler from the 160 degree thermostat. Not to mention it had better MPGs and slightly more power (not really noticeable, but still).

I also have an exhaust leak around my driver side exhaust manifold gasket, so I have to fix that soon. I have the parts already, but I may wait until I do my rear brakes to do all the work on the same day. I will also be hooking back up my AC when do the other two things.

I have boxes of parts arriving to the house constantly it seems like haha. I'll be glad when I can start getting go-fast stuff instead of replacement parts. Let me know if you know anybody who would want those wheels/tires/ and brake set-up. I'll let it all go for $1000+shipping.

Last edited by 97_ek; 11-08-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I finally got the GoPro footage from my buddy that I raced a few weeks ago at the strip. The camera car was an 06' Supercharged Civic Si, and he ran a 13.4 at 108 on this pass. His car is an excellent sleeper (stock everything except the supercharger and fuel injectors). He hurt a guy's feelings in a bolt-on 08' Mustang GT on his next run. He went 13.1 at 109.

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy the video.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=2&theater

On another note, I am looking into doing an 8.8 rearend swap in the Camaro. I figure this will save me $2000 or more easy, which will help out tremendously while I'm still in college. From what I've read about them it should hold the power I'm making plus more, so it should be fine until I get ready to boost the car a few years down the road. Anybody here ever run the 8.8 in an M6 car? Any suggestions or comments on it?

I plan on running an explorer center housing with the 31 spline carrier, cut the axle tubes off, and weld the stock ten bolt tubes onto the 8.8 centerhousing. Then all I should have to do is get a TA mount fabbed up or order one of "Hiltsy's" TA mounts and get some new 31 spline axles from Moser. What does everyone think?

Last edited by 97_ek; 10-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Picked up my new 01' Camaro SS