Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My f-bodies and their builds pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:13 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't see them much anymore but I had a set of C5 (I think) thin 5 spokes, 17" front 18" rear. Both the polished and chrome look good on the MNB fourth gens. In fact those wheels on my 2000 NBM SS might be the best look ever for me. Even better than Fikses.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Little update because I havent been on in a while. The 2002 35th 6 chicken car I had picked up for my dad for some extra work, and it was a very clean 1 owner car that was well taken care of as i mentioned before. Long story short we were tossing around the idea of building it but it ended up being just a temporary car till I found him a better one. I ended up selling my 1994 trans am to a friend who seems to really like it. I had no use for it once I bought the SOM ws6.

After selling the 94 Trans Am, actually the day it sold, my dad called me and told me about a 2002 SOM Z28 that was for sale locally. The next day we went and looked at it and my dad wanted it so we made a deal. We bought it from an older gentleman with 59k miles on it. It is an auto but the deal was way to good to pass up. We then sold his current 02 6 cylinder car the following weekend. Fast forward to just before christmas, i was strolling through the local facebook car pages and a 2000 NBM Z28 popped up for sale. Pretty clean car and I contacted the owner and we made a deal as well.

I will be starting a new job in a week and I had originally planned to do some work to the 2000 and resell but I want something close to stock to drive back and forth to work and not rack up the miles on the funner cars so I ended up deciding to keep it and make it a nice daily driver. Here are the pics of the cars.

Name:  C0064D2F-5EE8-46DE-96E1-B59C0867371F.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  228.1 KB

Name:  156A8ABF-5B5B-4D3C-83B2-EB7D6F6E7319.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  332.8 KB

Name:  0173F9F4-4819-474C-B7A9-0BE9023FDA5D.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  289.7 KB

Last edited by Docrocket1967; 01-23-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

The WS6 has kind of been a love/hate relationship so far. The owner I purchased the car from had removed some interior pannels and engine bay items to reduce weight to make the car quicker....i ended up getting all those pannels off a donor car at a junkyard and replacing them and its been entertaining trying to get them back into there proper position and sit right. I installed new hatch shocks so it didnt have to rest the hatch on my head when I needed something out of the back. Other than that its just all little things ive been doing. Love the car though. Next step is to put power steering back on it so itll be nicer to drive.

As for the 2000 Z28 it came with snow flake wheels that arent appealing to me at all. I went ahead and put my old ZR1 wheels on it to make it look nicer and a friend of mine recently purchased a 2000 Camaro SS in the same color and decided to off load his chrome ZR1 wheels for a drag pack. After I get new tires I will be installing those. Probably go 11" wide in the rear.

The 2000 Z28 also had an X-Pipe on it when I got it with no mufflers, long story short if I plan to daily this car I dont want it to be like that. So I ended up getting a stainless borla exhaust system from the headers back from a friend. I went ahead and installed it and it couldnt have went on any easier. Car was a little too quiet now....ended up removing the plate in the borla exhaust tip to just be open and it sounds much better now. I will say that on its first test drive I did open it up just a little bit and it makes me laugh how different a stock Z28 with just exhaust and some other small things feels under full throttle compared to a h/c/i car. A/c works great and transmission shifts really well. I did put a drivers side power window in it.

I removed the door pannel to replace the window motor and the one already installed was laying in the bottom of the door lol replaced it and it is as good as new. No cracks on the upper dash either. One thing that I seem to be plagued with is a leaky oil pan. This car does have that and Im not looking forward to fixing that but it will drive me nuts if I dont. My 99 SS is leaking just a little too. It is what it is. Drivers seat also has a tear like someone ripped a giant fart but I know thats just one of those common things.

The passenger side of the blue Z28 also had damage from the front fender all the way back past the rear tire like it had rubbed up against another car lightly. I tried my hand at some good wet sanding and polishing starting off with 1500 and working my way up to 3000 and the side of the car looks fantastic except one spot on the door that has some damage that will require a professional to repair and paint. I wish I had more before and after pics of the damage you would never believe a wet sand and polish cleaned it up that much but it did. Here are some pics of the car from day one to most recent.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Name:  BE43FA6B-409F-4283-AC3B-27B771C32F6A.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  292.2 KB

Name:  0173F9F4-4819-474C-B7A9-0BE9023FDA5D.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  289.7 KB

Name:  1829D0D5-3E7A-4722-8861-A167E7BE28DF.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  332.8 KB

Name:  39622BBF-CCC5-491B-89D7-7A8E5EECBC2E.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  309.0 KB

Name:  F04EC60D-255B-4089-BE4B-ED78FC3D1AD8.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  278.7 KB
Old 02-04-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

I took the blue SS out for a cruise with a buddy who just picked up a NBM SS and we did some pulls and here and there but on the way home my car ended up spitting and sputtering under throttle and idling fine. When i first fired up the car and started driving it kind of gave me the same thing then when i went and got fuel it was fine. Cruised around for a couple hours with no problems. After the pulls and cruising home the car started running real rough.

Went ahead and replaced the 02 sensors and that didnt seem to help. Now im going to try a few other simple things and see what happens. Maybe its the fuel filter idk. No SES light of course and the car being speed density tuned i know its not the MAF

Will post the problem when i know what it is
Old 02-04-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

As for my blue z28 i started a new job this past week and no longer have a company vehicle so I started driving it every day. Was a little nervouse but the car runs beautifully and has 0 issues which is great. So hard not to do some internals to it but i think ill just make it a really clean daily driver. Would love to do white leather seats and some really nice wheels but we will see. When I first got it it leaked oil from around the oil pan pretty good but from driving everyday to now it seems to have slowed down on the leak quite a bit to almost not at all. I dont know how to explain that but this makes me happy lol
Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Hey Doc, this is a great thread. How old is the daughter now?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ls1_lover
Hey Doc, this is a great thread. How old is the daughter now?
Thanks man. My daughter is now 8 years old. Just went to the father daughter dance this past weekend with her. I just looked at my messages and checked to make sure my reply was sent back to you and I realized it never was put through. It must have logged out because of time
Old 02-27-2017, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

More of an update. The 2000 Z28 that I have been daily driving has really turned out to be a perfect match for driving back and forth to work. Oil leak is almost complete gone and im averaging 23-24 miles to the gallon per tank. I have always wanted to snag up some 17x11 ZR1 wheels in chrome. I had 2 factory sets laying around, one silver set which you can see in my first post on this thread and a chrome set. I called OE Wheels on thursday morning and spoke to Brian. Brian has always been a big help everytime ive called and you can't beat his customer service.

So I paid OE Wheels thursday morning for just 2 17x11 chrome zr1's with cheap tires and lug nuts and they were delivered in almost 24 hours. They were at my door the next day and I could not have been happier.

I installed them with hopes that I wouldnt have to do the bump stop mod and BFH mod on the inner fender. I installed them and sure enough no scrapes or rubs or issues. Im running a 315/35/17 which some have said they had to mod and others have said they didnt. Here are some before and after pics. Yes i know my exhaust is not sitting properly and that is this weekends project.

Before
Name:  70DC101E-BC0B-4115-AFEF-45FF78DF6C92.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  258.0 KB

After
Name:  9CEBD832-5718-4906-9073-8D8F102D02DF.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  262.7 KB

Name:  25600BC9-3983-42C4-ABA9-34E2539804E2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  305.5 KB

Name:  BB60F5F7-9409-49CF-B02B-ABE34C920E30.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  300.6 KB
Old 02-27-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

As for the 99 SS in post #65 i had mentioned the car was running like crap. When I give it throttle the car wants to sputter and spit and not accelerate as it should. The car is speed density tuned and Im not getting any codes. I changed the fuel fikter and that did nothing at all to help. I had to buy some motor mounts for the 00 Z28 so while I was ordering them from the WS6 Store i went ahead and ordered plugs and wires and some other small things. They will be here this week and im hoping this will solve my issue.

As for the 01 WS6 I went to start her up on Sunday and the battery was completely dead. I went ahead and bought another red top optima because that was what was already there. Now I have mixed feelings about optima batteries, it seems after 2010 the quality really began to suffer. The one i removed from the trans am was only a year old, the one in my 67 camaro only lasted a year as well but i swapped it out and the replacement is going on 5 years. So i put a brand new one in and it fired right up. I contacted Optima to have them warranty the year old battery and have no response yet.

Now because the paint is new on the SS abd the WS6 is in good shape i went ahead and forked out a good chunk of change for some quality car covers for both. Reason being i replaced the dash in my SS for the 3rd flippin time and the florida sun kills everything and I hate it. I dont want to buy another dash anytime soon. The ws6 is getting a new dash soon as well abd dont want to replace that one again either. I plan on getting a much larger garage and im just tryin to save my cars in the meantime. I did choose waterproof car covers because florida is so wishy washy with the light rain.

The dash in my 2000 Z28 decided to crack in the oarking lot at work the other day so I can not even begin to tell everyone just how excited i al that i keed to buy 2 more. The repair looks like a good way to go as well but i just dont want to mess with them anymore than i have too.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

What car covers did you buy? I have been wanting to get a good quality for my WS6.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by WS6 #3392
What car covers did you buy? I have been wanting to get a good quality for my WS6.
IF YOU DONT WANT TO LISTEN TO ME RAMBLE ON CLICK THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM

I have read great things on this company and there covers through quite a few other forums. I will post the link below. Not sure how great it really will be but I havent read anything bad from anyone online yet about them. I did however find a neat thread in another forum where a guy had pointed out that this particular cover and others on there site were actually the same as the California Car Covers without the big name price.

I did choose the waterproof car cover which everyone says is like the anti-christ thing to do but I read sooooo many where people said they had no issues. I spend alot of time working on the cars or messing around with them so if it does rain or there alot of moisture I will remove the covers to let everything dry out while im out working on them. Im just sick of the sun messing stuff up and also the leaves from my giant tree in the front yard getting down and inside of everything. Plus spending good wrench time just constantly cleaning them.

http://www.carcoverworld.com/weather...reme-car-cover
Old 02-28-2017, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Don't mind to listen to you ramble dude. Lol

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to ramble on and on, you need to your own thread. Oh, wait, carry on.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Don't mind to listen to you ramble dude. Lol

Thanks!
Lol thanks, I will post my experience with the covers asap. They also have discount codes posted all over the place for 10% off I used TOUGH10

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
If you want to ramble on and on, you need to your own thread. Oh, wait, carry on.
HAHA I will take this more into consideration to avoid the abuse lol
Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Got the car covers today from car cover world/ carcoverworld.com and they will definitely be going back. All over there web-site it says made in usa car covers and how quality these are. The car covers they sent me are the same ones I can buy on amazon for $40. I paid much more than that obviously. I didnt even have to open them all the way to see they were some cheap wanna-be crap cover. Ill post the rest of the experience after its all done, this is vey disappointing
Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
Got the car covers today from car cover world/ carcoverworld.com and they will definitely be going back. All over there web-site it says made in usa car covers and how quality these are. The car covers they sent me are the same ones I can buy on amazon for $40. I paid much more than that obviously. I didnt even have to open them all the way to see they were some cheap wanna-be crap cover. Ill post the rest of the experience after its all done, this is vey disappointing

Glad I waited before I ordered dude. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Glad I waited before I ordered dude. Thank you!
Im glad you waited too. Ill be purchasing the california car cover "noah" after this is resolved which i was going to do to begin with until i saw other things that lead me to them.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

1999 Camaro SS Update
Things I replaced that did not fix my issue
New Fuel Filter
New 02's
Then checked fuel pressure

I replaced the parts above anyway in hopes it would fix the problem because I knew they needed to be done regardless at this point

Ordered TR55's from the WS6 Store and MSD wires and installed.

I was very fortunate changing the plugs in the car this go around. The last time I changed plugs on one of these with the engine still in the car was probably close to 10 years ago. This go around I changed the drivers side in no time at all, at a slow pace with gapping the plugs and changing the wires as well it took maybe an hour. With passenger side I just went ahead and removed the coils and bracket, WHAT A DIFFERENCE this makes, aside from adding a little time just removing the coils and bracket it didnt take longer than an hour to do the passenger side. I also don't have the EGR or AIR setup either so im sure that makes a big difference.

Went ahead and buttoned it all back up, I did however spend some time making sure the number 6 and 8 cylinder spark plug wires where on good and tight, naturally I never could feel them pop onto the spark plug so it left me a little anxious to start it up in hopes the wires were seated properly
Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

I finally started up the car and at first it did seem to still spit and sputter ( I said cuss words here) not because of the work I had just done to end up with the same result but because I did not know where to go from there. After feathering the throttle keep it running (my tune just isn't on point right now) after about 20 seconds it REALLY seemed to just smooth out and idle better than it ever has since my build. I did find 2 fouled plugs but I believe it is because the car is tuned rich and the plugs that i removed were just not suitable for this engine. These were TR5GP plugs which for the life of me can't understand why I picked those a couple years ago when I finished up this build.

Anyways the TR55's I gapped at .050 if anyone was curious. Again what a huge difference now, car actually idles much quieter, it has better street manners, it wants to act more streetable all around too instead of just at idle. It doesn't want to buck hardly at all when cruising at a set speed and definitely pulls a little better.

Im very happy to have it back to normal now and running so much better, nowI can focus on the better things to do. I will be upgrading fuel system (pump, fuel rails, injectors) intake and throttle body too hopefully this year.

I did notice some blue smoke at wide open throttle as well so Im thinking valve seals and that's just fine because I have 243 heads to install anyway.

On another note possibly considering trading in my 2013 Camaro 1LE for a C6 Z06 this summer but not too sure yet.

Quick Reply: My f-bodies and their builds pic heavy