Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

69 Camaro T56 Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Camaro T56 Help

This is my first post so hope this is in the right spot
I have a 69 camaro with a gen 1 internal balanced 2 piece RMS 525 hp 383 a lakewood bell a 168 tooth flywheel and mechanical linkage. I have a m20 muncie with linkage that is rebuilt but was not installed in car so there is no hole cut yet. I plan on using the stock linkage unless a hydraulic setup makes more sense in the overall picture of the conversion. I just purchased a rebuilt 03 or 04 cobra T56 with a gm 26 spline input shaft and Viper output shaft. It has a hurst shifter and yoke for the larger viper sized output shaft. I believe the shifter location is 3" forward of the f-body T56 so it would only be 1" back from stock? I may run a console. Is the cross member going to be different or will any aftermarket one work? It is 2.66 first and .63 final OD. The gm 26 spline input shaft seems to be a lt1 shaft since it is approximately 5.6 inches long. I assume I will need at least a ls1 input shaft? I am more concerned about the mid plate do I have to change it to a Ls mid plate? I am under the impression that the McLeod Part No. 8-207 will work with my bell and would bolt to the mustang mid plate but the mid plate already has a throw out bearing collar/sleeve which is 1.435 in diameter. Can I use the adapter plate without the collar that comes with it? Or If I get a different bell so I don't need the adapter plat will the sleeve work for a gm throw out bearing? I'm sure I left some needed info out but any help would be greatly appreciated! Attached is a pic of the front of the T56 and a pic of the current state of the Camaro

Thanks Tony
Attached Thumbnails 69 Camaro T56 Help-photo.jpg   69 Camaro T56 Help-imag0759.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 camaro build

For those interested it was a small block AC car with shoulder belts from California. I am smoothing the fire wall and already have a global west cat 5 front suspension with QA1 coil overs, 12" wilwoods, AGR steering box and 9"ford rear end and this
Attached Thumbnails 69 Camaro T56 Help-imag0730.jpg  

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro T56 Help