Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Starter issues, need shims!???!???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter issues, need shims!???!???

K here's the deal I have been back and forth to the parts store tried three different starters and get the same horrible results. Get my new starter wired up, purchased two new bolts and start tightening it get it all torqued hook up battery and go to start. I have the car in neutral and when I turn the key I either get a loud thud like the be Dix on the starter is slamming into the flywheel or a spinning whining noise like the teeth aren't catching. The reason I had to replace the starter is because my wife took the car out for a drive and it started to rain and then it flooded. She tried to pull off of what she the was the shoulder of the road but was actually a curb and drove up it. The car died and would not start. She got it towed home and when I got back from overseas I saw that the starter itself was broke and a piece of the block chipped off right where the long starter bolt threads in. I re welded that piece on and the bolt threads in just fine. Put the new starter in and bam same issue starter will not engage and turn the motor over. The engine is not seized I can turn the motor over by spinning the crank pulley with a socket. I'm at a loss for this. Do I need to shim it because it says shims are not required and I bought a set and drilled them to make the holes line up. With the starter installed and no shims installed the starter looks cocked or tilted downwards in the front where it meets the flywheel and the back where the wires are is tilted up towards the top of the motor so it has an angle. I can't get a picture because this new starter just broke the bracket broke right off like the original one did. Any suggestions or input will be great.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Put a oem gm starter on it you should never have to shim a LS starter.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed that somewhere. U have a g8 gxp ? If it's in your signature I can't see it on my cell. Those cars are awesome , only like 5 came up here to Canada apparently. Good stuff , you got some pics.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First get a start that takes two long bolts and you will not have that little weak ear break off again. We run Powermaster starters and have no issues with them. 9009 is the weak one we use and 9509 is the high power one we use, but they might have a stock level replacement that is cheaper. You can look at them on Summit. We basically never need to shim them for stock flex plate, but often do when people put the JW flywheels on them. The starters come with two long bolts and shim in case you need them and they are made in the US. I'm sure there are other options, but they are what we landed on after having issues with many others and are not likely to change from them unless the go to pot.

Looks like the 9009 might not fit on our cars, but I have 9509 on on mine with large hooker headers and not issues.

Quick Reply: Starter issues, need shims!???!???