Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

best cam for ls1

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default best cam for ls1

hi everyone i have a question i have stock heads and stock intake but i have pacesetter long tubes ory and slp cat back im wondering what the best cam that give an aggressive sound but may add some power and will also work with stock internals and stock lifters and springs but if i have to change the springs and lifters what would you recommend i dont want to spend to much may be like 2-3 hundred if thats possible. i plan on only driving it a few times a year no track and not a daily driver. thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good cam will be a bit more than that what you are wanting to spend and you will have to give more to go on. A good running cam that will idle well would be the GM LS6 Hot .550 lift cam. You will need GM yellow or blue springs to go with it. If you go above .550 lift or a more aggressive lobe I'd recommend a set of push rods to go with it also.

There are a lot of cam options, so you need to pick some more exact goals. Also, you will need to tune it to run right with the cam, so that is more money also. With that said it's best to go big now and pay once rather than tuning to a mild cam and changing your mind later to go larger and have to tune it again.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Default Cam

True but I just recently got laid off I don't really want to make it a drag car I just want to make it sound aggressive I heard the 232 can on YouTube and it sounded OK but idk if that's good or not it was a lunatic which from what I heard they where good
Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A sound good cam is usually one with more overlap or low LSA or as a trick you can run a longer duration on the exhaust to keep act like it. You will spend way more money doing half way just to do it again, so find a job and do it all right is my advise.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

haha FIND A JOB thanks though i just got called back but i was doing some research and i found a few i like could you tell me if there good for stock 241 heads and intake. i do plan on getting push rods,springs, and rockers. the cams are the ms3 from tsp and various lunati cams i no alot of help right idk which one to choose there all pretty high lift like 281 or somthing will that fit what the biggest size cam you can go with

Quick Reply: best cam for ls1