Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

lunati cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default lunati cams

i have a quistion what is the best lunati cam are they any good and why does the advertised duration say higher than the actual duration. heres a couple of links to ones i was checking out are they better than tsp's ms3? how do the Howard cams work are they actual that high duration or is there a actual number and thats just the advertised number. and also what is the biggest cam you can shove in there before running into problems with clearance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lunati-Voodo...dRErcb&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lunati-Voodo...dRErcb&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOWARDS-GM-C...1WFUP5&vxp=mtr
Old 04-16-2016, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Please read all the stickies in the internal engine section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html
Old 04-16-2016, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

So according to that post then that the ms3 is a popular choice but is it true that I can use ls6 springs wouldn't they be not much better than stock or would they be suitable for the ms3.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Philhippy45
So according to that post then that the ms3 is a popular choice but is it true that I can use ls6 springs wouldn't they be not much better than stock or would they be suitable for the ms3.
Your not using stock spring or ls6 springs on an ms3 period if that is what You thought you read you need to go back and re read it ....
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

OK I add an aliteriate moment lol. But now a new problem arose I bought the ms3 cam, comp cams 7.400" pushrods, lunati springs and retainers, as well as a trunion kit. But a friend of mine said that the 7.400" rods will be to short but another said to long but a fourm member said they are fine so which is it. Also do I really need a stall converter its a A4 trans. Or can I suffer with the stock one till I can fine one for a reasonable price.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:08 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The only way you can tell if you have the correct pushrods is to buy the tool and measure. That's the way you should do it.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

I measured them.they are 7.400" but he said that if I go with a aftermarket cam that I need shorter rods I'm going with a thumper cam.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Also do I really need a stall converter its a A4 trans. Or can I suffer with the stock one till I can fine one for a reasonable price.
This should have been done *before* (or along with) any thought of a cam upgrade. The stall by itself, with the stock cam, would have been worth twice the acceleration gains of that cam in a stock stalled LS1.

Additionally, idle tuning is already more of a challenge with a big cam in an A4 car (vs. M6); sticking with the stock stall will make it even harder to get decent idle transition from park to gear, as well as in-gear idle speed. That cam plus a stock stall speed is just a bad setup to drive on the street OR for track performance IMO.

I measured them.they are 7.400" but he said that if I go with a aftermarket cam that I need shorter rods I'm going with a thumper cam.
He meant to measure for proper pushrod length, not to measure the pushrods you already received.

I think you'd benefit quite a bit from doing a lot more research before tearing into this car, or make sure you have a knowledgeable friend helping you.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

OK thanks for the reply is there an methods of checking the length with out the tool or is that the best way also why wouldn't the stock size be big enough I asked a guy who had the same cam he said it would or does it all depend every engine is different o guess. Also what stall would you recommend like a 3000 or something what is stock like 2000. According to comp they recommend a stall 2000 or higher.

Quick Reply: lunati cams