Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

10 bolt, 2step, and street tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt, 2step, and street tires?

Hey guys, as an F body owner, I know all to well about how weak our factory rear ends are. And I know how when sticky tires are added to the mix, they don't stand a chance. I have a 2000 Camaro SS, t56 with a McLeod RST, a Turbonetics T76, on stock slp wheels and 275 street tires. Is there a chance I can get away with 2 step launches on these tires, or with the 2step set at a low rpm? The tires don't hook well at all, and I know this pretty much defeats the purpose, but until I get an S60, can I get by with this?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly why are you bothering using a two step with 275 street tires? You will blow them right off. To answer your question, yes you should be ok as long as the rear end isn't shocked hard from a launch where you hook or wheel hop.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSLogan
Hey guys, as an F body owner, I know all to well about how weak our factory rear ends are. And I know how when sticky tires are added to the mix, they don't stand a chance. I have a 2000 Camaro SS, t56 with a McLeod RST, a Turbonetics T76, on stock slp wheels and 275 street tires. Is there a chance I can get away with 2 step launches on these tires, or with the 2step set at a low rpm? The tires don't hook well at all, and I know this pretty much defeats the purpose, but until I get an S60, can I get by with this?
I didn't see any mention of rear end mods so I'll say this...it baffles me that you would spend that amount of money to buil that amount of power and not be able to get it to the ground. Hardened Yukon gears, alloy axles, welded axle tubes, aftermarket eaton posi, arp bolts and studs, strengthened diff cover and a properly setup pinion angle would support 550 rwhp and hard launches all day long...all of which can be done for $1500-2000. That crappy post-98 tremec t56 will take a crap before a built 7.625 rear end will.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Eshaw81
I didn't see any mention of rear end mods so I'll say this...it baffles me that you would spend that amount of money to buil that amount of power and not be able to get it to the ground. Hardened Yukon gears, alloy axles, welded axle tubes, aftermarket eaton posi, arp bolts and studs, strengthened diff cover and a properly setup pinion angle would support 550 rwhp and hard launches all day long...all of which can be done for $1500-2000. That crappy post-98 tremec t56 will take a crap before a built 7.625 rear end will.
Well let me start off by saying, if I had a rear end strong enough to support it, I wouldn't have posted this thread. So maybe you should read. If I had upgraded anything, I would have stated it. AND, if you knew anything about the 7.5" 10 bolt rear end, you would know damn well you can put all the money you want in one, and it isn't going to hold boosted clutch dumps on a sticky tire, and that T56 is going to hold a hell of a lot more than that rear. If you don't believe me, ask anyone else on here with a brain. And it's the pre 2000 T56s that came with the weaker 2nd gear. Hell, if you don't believe me on that one, call Tick.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSLogan
Well let me start off by saying, if I had a rear end strong enough to support it, I wouldn't have posted this thread. So maybe you should read. If I had upgraded anything, I would have stated it. AND, if you knew anything about the 7.5" 10 bolt rear end, you would know damn well you can put all the money you want in one, and it isn't going to hold boosted clutch dumps on a sticky tire, and that T56 is going to hold a hell of a lot more than that rear. If you don't believe me, ask anyone else on here with a brain. And it's the pre 2000 T56s that came with the weaker 2nd gear. Hell, if you don't believe me on that one, call Tick.
How much money have you put into a 10 bolt rear? All I ever read is how folks grenade these STOCK rear ends and then complain about there being nothing that can be done to upgrade them. Well, I beg to differ and have already given you the combo you need to make it survive. I have seen and still see PLENTY of 7.5 10 bolt f-bodies pulling 1.4 60 foots and sub 12 second 1/4 miles at the many tracks here in Atlanta. Yukon gears, aftermarket eaton, PROPER SHAFT INPUT GEOMETRY (something many overlook), welded tubes, diff cover with arp bolts, and MAYBE new hardened axles is all you need. Also, Panhard bar and torque arm seem to help as well. It truly amazes me how people get pissed off when they throw extreme power and abuse into a stock diff that breaks. Again, what have you done to your 10 bolt to make it better? Nothing I'm guessing because everyone else has said that the 10 bolt is junk. Get off the internet and go hang out at the track. Aftermarket parts have improved SIGNIFICANTLY over the last few years. But hey...I guess the Internet trumps real life on this thread.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Eshaw81
How much money have you put into a 10 bolt rear? All I ever read is how folks grenade these STOCK rear ends and then complain about there being nothing that can be done to upgrade them. Well, I beg to differ and have already given you the combo you need to make it survive. I have seen and still see PLENTY of 7.5 10 bolt f-bodies pulling 1.4 60 foots and sub 12 second 1/4 miles at the many tracks here in Atlanta. Yukon gears, aftermarket eaton, PROPER SHAFT INPUT GEOMETRY (something many overlook), welded tubes, diff cover with arp bolts, and MAYBE new hardened axles is all you need. Also, Panhard bar and torque arm seem to help as well. It truly amazes me how people get pissed off when they throw extreme power and abuse into a stock diff that breaks. Again, what have you done to your 10 bolt to make it better? Nothing I'm guessing because everyone else has said that the 10 bolt is junk. Get off the internet and go hang out at the track. Aftermarket parts have improved SIGNIFICANTLY over the last few years. But hey...I guess the Internet trumps real life on this thread.
Because nobody with half a brain is going to put $1,500-$2,000 like YOU said in a 7.5" with a housing that flexes like a piece of paper when for $3,000 you can by a brand new S60. I'm not arguing with you on this subject anymore. Go act childish on someone else's thread.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here I was hoping for an answer to this as thats what I wanted to do. Any updates on how your rear end has survived? And yeah you can get a quick performance ford 9" housing for 1k with axles if your trying to work on a budget instead of putting that money into a 10 bolt.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

With mods in my signature, I'm running the stock 10 bolt and doing just fine right now. For the most part it's all in how you drive the car
Old 10-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cole Curtis
Here I was hoping for an answer to this as thats what I wanted to do. Any updates on how your rear end has survived? And yeah you can get a quick performance ford 9" housing for 1k with axles if your trying to work on a budget instead of putting that money into a 10 bolt.
did it at the drag strip other day from 3500 on nitto nt555 285s and is still alive
Old 10-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cole Curtis
I’m thinking of going that route for my 69 Camaro. I need to upgrade my high end gear ratio and I don’t know if my stock 8.5 10 bolt would hold up. I’m not into hard launches anymore.

Any recommendations on where to get a Ford set up?

Quick Reply: 10 bolt, 2step, and street tires?