Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Rebuilt Salvage brand on your title

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilt Salvage brand on your title

I just bought a 2000 camaro ss about a month ago. Guy had a clear blue title with it. When I went to have it changed into my name the TxDMV sent me back a letter saying they found an issue when processing my application. They discovered that West Virginia had a rebuilt brand on it and therefore the state of Texas will apply the brand of Rebuilt Salvage to my title. Unless I contact the state of West Virginia and have them write a letter saying it is not in their data base or was put there by error in the next 10 days. The car looks and runs great. No major problems as far as I could tell. My question is how did he have a clear title if it had been salvaged and rebuilt and will it hurt the value of the car moving forward? If anyone has had a title like this or delt with this your input would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the reason Car Fax was created. In some states when a car is totaled by the insurance company, the car is required to be branded as a salvage or rebuilt. Many times, these cars are taken to another state that doesn't mandate this to be shown on the title. I would be checking to see who rebuilt the car and how many owners there have been since it was rebuilt.
As for value, I've been told an insurance company will not pay full book value for the car if it is totaled again, only half that amount. If you've borrowed close to the book value of the car, that could leave you owing money for a wrecked vehicle.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

00ssSixspeed, I live in Canada so laws etc. may differ from USA so I can't offer much that way.

Coming from a guy who has fixed dozens of salvaged cars, personally I would never buy one unless the price reflected the fact it was written off. I won't get into a debate whether a proper repair is as good as factory as 10 different people will give you 10 different answers. However, I worked in a high quality shop and it is impossible to bring any car that has been hit back to the way it was when it left the factory, IMO. I've never seen it done, even though cosmetically it might look good. And we did meticulous work. They were just never the same.

Having said that, as stated if the price reflected the fact the car had a salvage title I would consider buying it but not as something that would increase in value nor an investment. I bought a 2002 SS that had a well repaired $8000 hit to it. It was a low mileage, mint car, and the price at the dealer was cheap. But I also bought it knowing I was going to have the headache of selling down the road and having to disclose the previous damage. And that I was also going to lose money on it. But I don't regret buying that one. I should have kept it.

If I were you I would just drive it and not sweat it. Obviously it is "buyer beware" but I would be pissed at the guy who sold it for not disclosing the history. That is shady, whether or not you pulled a Car Proof on it.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

I really appreciate your input guys. I bought it cash for a good price. I've been wanting one for awhile. I just wanted one that I can drive and have fun with. I wasn't looking to invest in it to make money off it. The guy I bought it from had put a lot of upgrades on it. Already has T-56 6 speed with viper internals,stage 3 clutch,aluminum flywheel, 12 bolt moser rear-end, adjustable torque arm,sub frame connectors, BMR LCA's,Billstein shocks,SLP longtube headers,,SLP Y-PIPE ,SLP mufflers, BBK 85mm throttle body with BBK single induction intake. I think I got a good deal for what I paid for it. Just a bit over bb retail. I guess the salvaged brand depends on the person who you sale it to. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I just wanted one that I can drive and have fun with"

And that is all that matters! Wasn't trying to "harsh your mellow" so to speak.
I buy two types of cars. Cars that I can resell later for near what I paid for them, and cars that I can drive and not care if they get a ding, or I hit a pot hole etc. I always try to buy low KM f-bodies with a clean car proof but I got rigged into the 2002 SS I mentioned that had an accident because....it was an SS. I love those cars. Every once in awhile I come across a deal I just can't walk away from (even if I don't need a car) and it sounds like you did too.

That car you got is loaded up to the ****. Have fun with it, they are a rush. I have an LT1 Z28 now and miss the LS1. Easily the "best bang for your buck" cars I have ever owned, and we have owned a Mustang GT, Ford Lightning, SRT-10 etc. I am on my fifth 4th Gen F-body now, lol
Old 07-25-2016, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

That's cool Deebee didn't take it that way. Just wish the guy would have said something about it, but I guess he was trying to get as much money as he could. I would have probably still bought it just paid a little less. Sounds like you have had some nice cars. This is only the second sports car I've had. Had a 71 Chevelle with a 327 in my 20s. Never got around to fixing it up like I wanted tho. In no hurry with the camaro.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Salvage brand on your title