Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Electical Problems 1994 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electical Problems 1994 Camaro

So I have been working on a LS swap into my 1994 Z28 Camaro for the past several months and finally started it and drove it around the block this weekend. Unfortunately I am having two electrical issues currently, one being that gauge lighting does not work but more importantly the power windows do not operate.

I bought this car as a roller, that had complete factory wiring. A few days after I got it back to my house I threw a battery in it and tested everything I could electrically. At that time both the windows and gauge lights worked. Over the course of the swap I did not modify the dash harness but removed the dash to pull the HVAC box out from behind it. I did modify the front clip harness for removal of ABS and added wiring for a trans cooler fan. As far as I know I did not touch anything related to power windows or gauge lights.

I have done some testing with my multimeter already. Started off by testing every fuse in the car, then moved on to testing power at the window switches (there was none) then at the express down relay under the dash. I don't seem to be getting power at any of those and there also does not seem to be power coming into the fuse block at the location for the window circuit breaker. Even though it does not test that there is power there, the circuit breaker gets very hot and if a fuse of equivalent amperage is put in its place it immediately blows (which I don't understand how that's is possible when it doesn't read any voltage).

I currently have the power window wiring schematic from a 95 (which looks to be the same as the 94), but I think my problem lies further up the string under what is labeled on this diagram (attached at the end) as "Power Distribution". Does anyone have that schematic they could scan and send it to me? I have the complete service manual set for 99 F-bodies but I don't think it would be the same.

Any suggestions as to what could be the problem? The windows are my primary concern currently but advice or insight on the gauge lighting would be appreciated also even though I haven't done any diagnostics on it yet beyond testing fuses. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by lsfanatic; 09-07-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added wiring diagram
Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

No ideas? If someone just has a factory service manual for a 94 and could send me some scanned pages that would help immensely.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to insult you, but are you sure the multimeter is set up right to read DC voltage? And how are you testing for it? And are you testing with the key in ACC or RUN?

EDIT: Not much to power distribution. This is for a 96, which is going to be different because there's no BCM in a 94.

Last edited by Spartan7; 09-15-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Not to insult you, but are you sure the multimeter is set up right to read DC voltage? And how are you testing for it? And are you testing with the key in ACC or RUN?

EDIT: Not much to power distribution. This is for a 96, which is going to be different because there's no BCM in a 94.
Yes sir, I have a good bit of time behind this meter and it has never let me down (Fluke 88V). Testing with alligator clip lead end on driver's side dash ground (tested that it was a good connection by testing for power at a known source) and a probe end into both the front and back of the driver's side dash fuse block at the window circuit breaker. Key in run.

I actually managed to find the entire 1994 F-Body service manual online as a PDF yesterday and got the diagrams I think I need printed out. So hopefully with those I can figure out the next time I get a chance.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Late update, but just for anyone reading this thread in the future. I fixed these issues a few days after my last post but forgot to update. The gauge lighting turned out to be a very dirty dimmer switch. Cleaning the contacts fixed it; easy fix.

After tearing most of the interior out to trace the wires for the power windows, I discovered at some point someone had grounded the hot wire going to the drivers side switch. I have no idea as to why, but that explains why the circuit breaker was getting so hot. After cutting this ground the windows worked perfectly.

Quick Reply: Electical Problems 1994 Camaro