5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th

Old 02-11-2017, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Page not available. Gay.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Teching In

HI, I got the transmission from transdepot.

I am so looking forward to finally getting this car to run good. It has been struggle to be honest. First I drove around in it for about 3 months trying to figure out why the heck it was pinging so bad.. All the so called "wisdom" on this board did not tell me that my coil packs were bad. I had to figure it out myself after buying the hptuners software and doing my own diagnostics and serious learning. Ok, it was tough but I am better for it now. So I got the thing to not ping.. Hooray... then i put on the long tubes.. drove it for about 2 days and the tranny takes a crap. I have a strong feeling that the tranny was already bad when I bought the car at 82k and not it has 93 but hey, Now I get a better tranny in there. So I pray that NOW I will finally be able to really enjoy this car without any expensive problems. Am I dreaming???? Will this car always be breaking? 14 years old.. When I look at it and drive it it feels great. However, I know that every wire and plug and hose is 14 years old. What is going to break next? Even something like a starter or alternator will be 300 plus bucks to fix at the mechanic. I originally got this car because I thought that it would be a inexpensive way to have a performance car. If I keep fixing it it will be a 2002 camaro that I paid 10k for and put in another 7 or 8. So this car that I can only sell for abour 7 now I have 15 in after the tranny is done. Ok, not a dissaster but not a great deal either. I love driving it and I want to keep it i just dont want a money pit.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Ls1_lover you got nothing to worry about man. Yeah you are shelling out some $ up front to be able to enjoy but if you think about it alot of guys on here have had to do similar things at one time or another. I have one i have never had to replace a major part on, just routine maintenance abd it has never let me down except one 02 sensor issue BUT at some point there will be new coils, transmission, power steering pump and so on in my future. Its just life but they are cery dependable and if you plan on keeping it for some time you will definitely have more time enjoying it then working on it....you are just getting some of the rain cloud a little early and later on when its all good someone else will be enjoying that rain cloud lol
Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks Doc!. That is what I wanted to hear. What do you think about that tranny I posted the link to?. The tranny in the car now was probably already bad. What happened was it was shifting really smooth. I wanted firmer shifts so I started messing around with the line pressure. Then after a few weeks and the added HP from the headers it started with gear 2 to 3 to slip really bad. I suspect the tranny was already compromised as when I bought it I noticed the pan on the tranny is not the original and one of the bolts was broken. So someone was in there for some reason but when I bought the car it was running fine. I knew I would have issues down the road but I wanted to try performance car owning like this. I have always bought newer cars. Spent a lot on them upfront.. and taken a bath when I sold them. Truth is that the 2010 I had bought had 26k at the time I purchased it . I drove it to to 55k but at 36k the universal blew up. I got lucky. Chevy covered the replacement in warranty but it really just goes to show you that any performance car can cost you money at any time.. even the new ones.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ls1_lover View Post
I originally got this car because I thought that it would be a inexpensive way to have a performance car.
In general, such a thing does not exist. Some guys have had luck with cheaper, higher mileage examples but in general it's going to cost you one way or the other; either you buy a really nice expensive one that probably won't have too many issues in the near or mid term, or you buy a cheap one with a ton of miles that will likely need repairs right away - especially if you plan to drive it like a performance car. I don't think there is any free lunch here, but occasionally you might get lucky.

Having said that, 14 years old isn't really that old in regards to many of those components you've mentioned. Hard parts will be more affected by mileage than by age (there's still some original stuff on my '71 that works just fine after 46 years, and my '98 is almost entirely original at 19 years old.) But things do get "used up" when they're in constant service and see spirited usage. You'd have to buy a brand new car with a warranty to avoid the worry, but of course that comes with an even bigger price tag.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

2002 camaro that I paid 10k for and put in another 7 or 8. So this car that I can only sell for about 7 now I have 15 in after the tranny is done. Ok, not a dissaster but not a great deal either. I love driving it and I want to keep it i just dont want a money pit.
The problem is.....People want to much money for these cars, They were mid-20's brand new with a warranty then someone beats the **** out of it for 50,000 miles then wants $15,000 for it.......

Us enthusiast as a whole need to stop over paying for these cars.....Things would normalize VERY quickly.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
The problem is.....People want to much money for these cars, They were mid-20's brand new with a warranty then someone beats the **** out of it for 50,000 miles then wants $15,000 for it.......

Us enthusiast as a whole need to stop over paying for these cars.....Things would normalize VERY quickly.
You aren't taking into account inflation or the fact that there is still a demand but zero new supply. Like it or not 4th gen f-bodies have a stronger following than say a '98 camry. Why do I care what cars other people can afford as long as I can afford the one I want.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Teching In

I think they were more like 30k when they were new and that is without tax.. out the door they were more like 35k

https://images.craigslist.org/00Q0Q_...mK_600x450.jpg

If you want a good F body you will have to pay 10 or more. There are a lot of them that have not been maintained and driven non the less for around 5k. Your going to have to put 5k in them right away.
Attached Thumbnails 5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th-00q0q_lg5cgejuwmk_600x450.jpg  
Old 02-13-2017, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I think they were more like 30k when they were new and that is without tax.. out the door they were more like 35k

https://images.craigslist.org/00Q0Q_...mK_600x450.jpg

If you want a good F body you will have to pay 10 or more. There are a lot of them that have not been maintained and driven non the less for around 5k. Your going to have to put 5k in them right away.
No, only the higher trim level versions (and/or convertibles) were at or above $30k. All three of my Z28s ('98, '99, '02) had base prices between $20,500 and $22,000 - with final sticker prices of $24-26k with a bunch of options.

There's an LS1 SS for sale on this site with just 7k miles for $16k. You should be able to get an LS1 Camaro with under 50k miles for $9-13k depending on year, trim and options. You'll get more for your money with a Z28, $10k would get you a very low mile nice example for sure.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
No, only the higher trim level versions (and/or convertibles) were at or above $30k. All three of my Z28s ('98, '99, '02) had base prices between $20,500 and $22,000 - with final sticker prices of $24-26k with a bunch of options.

There's an LS1 SS for sale on this site with just 7k miles for $16k. You should be able to get an LS1 Camaro with under 50k miles for $9-13k depending on year, trim and options. You'll get more for your money with a Z28, $10k would get you a very low mile nice example for sure.
I just bought a 99 Z28 with every option with 65k miles for $6500. You wouldn't believe how clean and how stock this car is. (was, not so stock anymore)
Old 10-22-2018, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Gen 4 = <3
Old 10-24-2018, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

The visibility of the 5th gen completely kills the car. I almost bought 2 5th gens but backed out both times do to feeling like I can't see around me in traffic. Very uncomfortable to drive feeling like you may hit something you can't see at any time. Another thing I find odd is the dash, I feel like I'm sitting a big old fashioned bath tub I can see out of going down the road. Pretty weird really.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I have both, a 2011 supercharged SS with z28 suspension and zl1 brakes. Its a fun car...its pretty quick...feels heavy. Cruising around its very comfortable but spirited driving feels on edge although controllable. Looks and fit and finish it is a way nicer car (IOM with ZL1 body and hood)

I have owned 6th 4th gens including a 99 454 LSX car with all the supporting stuff. Currently have a 2001 SS M6 as a commuter car. It feels more natural to me but then I've driven 4th gens since 93.

They are two very different cars. Yes the rear visibility and changing lanes is always fun in the 5th gen!! but overall car I give the edge to the 5th gen. if it wasn't so big and heavy...I'm afraid to check out a 6th because I might buy it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 Ways the 4th Gen Camaro is Better than the 5th

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: