Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

02 Camaro Z28 A4 to M6 swap PCM reflashing help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro Z28 A4 to M6 swap PCM reflashing help!!

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 that I did a 6 speed swap on and my service engine soon light is on and the codes that it’s throwing all has to do with the automatic being gone. Do I need to switch the computer out for a manual pcm or can I have my current pcm which is programmed for the automatic reflashed to recognize it's a 6 speed now? I’ve been told that my current pcm has a transmission control unit and the 6 speed pcms don’t. Does that matter or can I have it reflashed to bypass the transmission control unit and recognize it’s a 6 speed? Also I was told that I might have to switch the pins on the pcm. If I can reflash my current pcm which tuning software is the best to do that with for an LS1? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-17-2017, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

You can certainly do a full reflash of your original PCM, they are the same part number just a different calibration. HPTuners or EFILive can accomplish this, or any reputable tuner.

There are a few different pins, did my swap a few years back so I don't really have the info at my fingertips anymore. If I remember correctly most of the wiring was at the old automatic shifter, the only things different in the PCM was the reverse lockout solenoid and the clutch anticipation switch. The lockout needs to be hooked up unless you're going to block it off, I used it. The clutch switch has to be grounded for your cruise control to work.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02CamaroZ1985
I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 that I did a 6 speed swap on and my service engine soon light is on and the codes that it’s throwing all has to do with the automatic being gone. Do I need to switch the computer out for a manual pcm or can I have my current pcm which is programmed for the automatic reflashed to recognize it's a 6 speed now? I’ve been told that my current pcm has a transmission control unit and the 6 speed pcms don’t. Does that matter or can I have it reflashed to bypass the transmission control unit and recognize it’s a 6 speed? Also I was told that I might have to switch the pins on the pcm. If I can reflash my current pcm which tuning software is the best to do that with for an LS1? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you so much!! I’m currently not using the reverse lockout and it’s not hooked up currently and it’s working fine. The cruise works but because my speedo is off I have to be going pretty fast for it to work. On EFILive do I have to get the GM Flashtuner and the Auto Cal or just the Flashtuner?
Old 09-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
You can certainly do a full reflash of your original PCM, they are the same part number just a different calibration. HPTuners or EFILive can accomplish this, or any reputable tuner.

There are a few different pins, did my swap a few years back so I don't really have the info at my fingertips anymore. If I remember correctly most of the wiring was at the old automatic shifter, the only things different in the PCM was the reverse lockout solenoid and the clutch anticipation switch. The lockout needs to be hooked up unless you're going to block it off, I used it. The clutch switch has to be grounded for your cruise control to work.
Thank you so much!! I’m currently not using the reverse lockout and it’s not hooked up currently and it’s working fine. The cruise works but because my speedo is off I have to be going pretty fast for it to work. On EFILive do I have to get the GM Flashtuner and the Auto Cal or just the Flashtuner?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02CamaroZ1985
Well your cruise control will not work once it has a 6 speed calibration in it. You'll need to do what I said above. With the A4 cal it isn't looking for it. You don't need an autocal from EFILive, just the flashscan V2. Don't go and find an old Version 1 because those can't do full reflashes. HPTuners would require the Pro version to do full reflashes. I have both and have used both. If you're new to all the tuning part of it, it may be well worth it to find a competent tuner and just pay them, it would be cheaper then the tuning cable most likely.

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro Z28 A4 to M6 swap PCM reflashing help!!