Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Building up dad's camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1fan92
Too bad your not putting a stock cam in, you can have mine from my '00 t/a lol.
If I'm touching it, I'm modding it lmao. As much as I loved the car in stock form, I just couldn't leave it stock.

I will be looking for an RCSB silverado/sierra to have as a stock daily once this is up and running though.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good bud! Looking forward to more updates!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Pictures

Old 04-22-2019, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

You need to make a club out of that.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

So if anybody is wondering how much it costs to do a completely stock rebuild of the bottom end(parts only) it's at least $1k. That would be all bearings, rings, bolts studs and a couple sensors I'm replacing while I'm at it. And that's at my price, someone who doesn't work at a dealer would probably have to source everything from online retailers to get it down to that number. I do have parts lists saved on my work computer if anybody is interested in up to date gm part numbers(and not just for the bottom end). BUT because I didn't realize how expensive everything was going to be I'm dragging my feet a little bit getting the block torn down and sent off. So in the mean time I decided to install my tick master.

stock

Inside, I had to loosen the booster nuts to have enough wiggle room to get passed the boosted in the bay.

Installed

Stock garbage.

A couple notes about doing this install: I thought for sure that not having the motor in the car would make this a breeze. That was false lol. It was still a freaking PITA. Also I think it's suggested in the instructions that you should have a helper so they can hold the cylinder in place while you start the bolts. That would have definitely made life easier, but i was able to get it done with out. And again like I said above, it was necessary for me to loosen the booster nuts to be able to get in/out with the cylinders. Not a big deal at all since you're already down there with the right tools. You'll just need to unclip the brake push rod, just like you have to for the clutch rod, and then jockey pedals around to loosen them.

Next I think I'll do some clean up around the bay. While I was in there today I noticed that there were dead leaves in every single nook and cranny of that engine bay. It's driving me nuts.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Hey. Any updates? If you need some money for parts you can come help me put an S60 in my car. Is your engine back together? Keep up the good work.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by REVINKEVIN963
Hey. Any updates? If you need some money for parts you can come help me put an S60 in my car. Is your engine back together? Keep up the good work.
Haha thanks for the offer, I just have a lot going on right now. But everything's all good.

here's update number 1

update number 2

So we picked up the truck on friday. We were dumping the 18's for so cheap I couldn't say no. Plus it had the bose/center console option which is the one thing that was a must for me. Secondly my rear suspension came in from founders. So far very happy with the quality, unlike the SE stuff. I will be installing this weekend and will post more pics. As far as the motor, no progress to report really. Planning on using my extra income to pay off the parts bill I have racked up before sending it off. Which since the first payment on the truck is differed for 45 days on the truck it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Pulled the rotating assembly out. As you can see from the pics looks like some metal flakes got in to the bearing on the #1 main. Seems to have not really damaged the crank so i think i dodged a bullet.

Off to the machine shop Monday morning.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Pulled the exhaust and got the founders stuff installed this weekend.

Also scored this battery tray/coolant tank from a local guy for free fitty.

It's also worth noting for anyone like me who's never installed LCA brackets before and you buy a brand like founders that doesn't include instructions, you have to cut off the inside mounting tabs off of the parking brake brackets. I made sure to take pictures of what I did. Not hard at all just have to pry the bracket down away from the rear end and brake cable to get your cutting tool in there.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 06-02-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Resurrecting my thread after 4+ months of not doing ****.

Brought my engine home after letting it sit at work this whole time. It had been sent off to be honed and the cam bearings installed. Crank got a little bit of a polish as well. So final cleaning and pre-assembly has been started. Will be working on it a little bit at a time over the next week to get it back together soon. Also just pre-paid texas speed for their stage 1 cnc job and will be shipping heads off monday.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Ok so heads just got back from TSP, springs are installed, rotating assembly is done, cam installed, improved racing scraper and tray installed, covers are mocked up and its ready to finish out into the long block. It would already be in long block form if i hadn't lost my damn oil pump o-ring. Mocked it up with the old one for now. Will pick one up at work tomorrow and keep going through out the week.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:23 AM
Launching!

Hell yeah. I was wondering where you went. I just ordered the 3 trap door upgrade items from Improved Racing for my LS7 wet sump conversion. How is the quality of their parts? I can’t wait to see your car back on the road. Cheers.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Hell yeah. I was wondering where you went. I just ordered the 3 trap door upgrade items from Improved Racing for my LS7 wet sump conversion. How is the quality of their parts? I can’t wait to see your car back on the road. Cheers.
Lol yeah I’m still alive. And improved racing is the ****. Great customer service too. I asked them questions via fb messenger and they fired back immediately. Honestly I almost bought their oil pan baffle too but I’m don’t think my car will be aggressive enough to need it.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

It's almost time to go back together.

Racetronic pump and harness installed, just need to rout the harness forward. Long block is ready to go back in, just did the pilot bearing and flywheel tonight. Waiting for the paint to dry on my motor mount shells and then it'll be time to drop this thing back in.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 12-03-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

What a great thread... Man, I wish I had your mechanical skills.... Very cool.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:15 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lookin good!
Old 12-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Yes, it’s a good one. You have me inspired. I started my build thread but it is in the Texas Members section. I wish I could move it over here. Keep kicking that ***.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
What a great thread... Man, I wish I had your mechanical skills.... Very cool.
Originally Posted by cam
Lookin good!
Yes, it’s a good one. You have me inspired. I started my build thread but it is in the Texas Members section. I wish I could move it over here. Keep kicking that ***.
Aw shucks, thanks guys!

I do want to stress something though, I am just you’re average Joe diy’er. Anybody can do what I’m doing. I have zero professional training and literally have not much more than your basic three tier craftsman tool box full of hand tools. I don’t own a single power tool or compressor. All of the special tools I have borrowed from my mechanic friends are available at the parts house anyways. I borrowed a hoist but they are only 200-300 to buy or very cheap to rent. I have an atv jack I used for the trans but to be honest two dudes could’ve easily managed with a floor jack. I am just mostly by myself so the atv jack came in handy. It may look like I’m dropping a lot of money on this car and while I have spent some coin on it, just know that not a single time have I swiped my card for anything more than $700 and that was for the cylinder head porting. Everything else I just gave myself a monthly budget and stuck to it. The rest is elbow grease

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 12-05-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Got a little bit more done today, will be at a work function all day tomorrow so will just be tinkering here and there until next weekend. So I mocked some accessories up and mounted the coils and brackets. So glad I did that off the car. On car would've been a huge PITA. Then pushed it out and gave her a bath for the first time in a long time. It was super motivating to see it outside and clean for once. Then had my neighbor come over and help me drop the motor back in. Kind of an ordeal and after all the struggling I went to go grab the long motor mount bolts and what I had thought were the right bolts turned out not to be. No idea where they went and will have to wait till I can get some ordered at work. Fingers crossed they are in stock locally.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Progress has been slow. Installed headers. Then ran into a road block with the stock fuel rails. The feed line interferes with the valve covers so i had to wait on some holley billet rails to come in. Now I'm waiting to borrow the cutters so I can cut and plumb the fuel lines. Also the coils on the passenger side interfere with the heater hoses pretty good. It wont be impossible to mount it all up but it's going to janky looking for sure.

Quick Reply: Building up dad's camaro.