Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Building up dad's camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Building up dad's camaro.

So my father passed away back in 2016 and I ended up with his 02 SS. We shared a love for camaros, he bought us a 68 project car back when I was 17. Then I picked up a 00 SS with my enlistment bonus at 19. A year later he bout this 02 SLP SS that I now have. The car sat for a good majority of him owning it, all of which outside uncovered. I daily drove the car for a little but its always had a lifter tick(or tick of some sort). So as any sensible person would do, i'm pulling the motor and doing a heads cam swap lol. I am taking my sweet *** time so this thread will probably drag on for a while.

​​​​​​​

So when I pulled the gaskets I noticed that some of the coolant passages were plugged up with what i assume is radiator stop leak. But as far as i can tell it's not in the radiator and its not in the block or heads. Doesn't appear to have hurt the motor?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

What heads and what can are you planning on?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you for your service and sorry to hear you lost your father. Glad you are keeping his car and making it run better or will eventually make it run better lol if you look at my thread I’ve been slowly building mine for a while . . . hell the shortblock has been sitting in the engine bay with no heads on it since last July lol which H/C are you going with?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Thank you for your service and sorry to hear you lost your father. Glad you are keeping his car and making it run better or will eventually make it run better lol if you look at my thread I’ve been slowly building mine for a while . . . hell the shortblock has been sitting in the engine bay with no heads on it since last July lol which H/C are you going with?
Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
What heads and what can are you planning on?
Thanks king. And yeah it's gonna be an undertaking. I plan on doing all the supporting mods as well. But the plan is 228r .600 on a 112 with tsp 243's. Keeping ls6 intake. I already have a low mileag take off ls7 clutch from work.(I work at a chevy dealer) I have all the GM goodies already bought as well as the cam kit and am working on the rest of the aftermarket parts now.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
Thanks king. And yeah it's gonna be an undertaking. I plan on doing all the supporting mods as well. But the plan is 228r .600 on a 112 with tsp 243's. Keeping ls6 intake. I already have a low mileag take off ls7 clutch from work.(I work at a chevy dealer) I have all the GM goodies already bought as well as the cam kit and am working on the rest of the aftermarket parts now.
Sounds like you have a plan!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! Keep updating! It seems odd the car has the earlier graphite head gaskets and it is an 02...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-02-newer.html
Old 01-24-2019, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by King Nothing

Sounds like you have a plan!
Nah I'm just winging it, but don't tell anybody lol.

Originally Posted by 2thousand2
Very cool! Keep updating! It seems odd the car has the earlier graphite head gaskets and it is an 02...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-02-newer.html
Yeah I had never seen those gaskets before. I had to double check for a gm pn.

I also had a broken exhaust bolt in one of the heads(maybe the source of my tick) and a leaking ps pump. If you look back at the picks you can see how saturated the front of the block was. But I never noticed because it was never bad enough to make it to the ground. And if you add to the list the broken side mirror and my corn chipped dash pad I have plenty to keep me busy.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss

Nah I'm just winging it, but don't tell anybody lol.

Yeah I had never seen those gaskets before. I had to double check for a gm pn.

I also had a broken exhaust bolt in one of the heads(maybe the source of my tick) and a leaking ps pump. If you look back at the picks you can see how saturated the front of the block was. But I never noticed because it was never bad enough to make it to the ground. And if you add to the list the broken side mirror and my corn chipped dash pad I have plenty to keep me busy.
For sure, there's still a lot of parts out there (clist/fb) to find what you need fairly cheap. As long as it is the 00+ block/heads you can run the better MLS gaskets when you go back together.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:48 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice project! I have successfully used LS6 MLS gaskets on the old style engines/heads with success by cleaning the surfaces very well and using lots of copper spray along with a few coolant pucks.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cam
Nice project! I have successfully used LS6 MLS gaskets on the old style engines/heads with success by cleaning the surfaces very well and using lots of copper spray along with a few coolant pucks.
Originally Posted by 2thousand2
For sure, there's still a lot of parts out there (clist/fb) to find what you need fairly cheap. As long as it is the 00+ block/heads you can run the better MLS gaskets when you go back together.
yeah so I do have the MLS gaskets in my parts pile already. I may go ahead and pull the valley cover tonight and make sure it's a newer block but I'm pretty sure it is being that it's an 02 and had the 241 heads and ls6 intake.

Btw if anybody wants to share tips on how to clean my bay and block diy style, I'm all ears! This thing is filthy!
Old 01-24-2019, 03:31 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Oven cleaner and toothbrushes work great at degreasing parts. Rinse well after and be careful with aluminum as it does ethc a tiny bit so spray with WD40 after rinsing. Brings parts up brand spanking though, I use the fume free Wally mart brand
Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Small update:

got a race cat and some goodies from improved racing in the mail today.

pulled the center console and shifter.

cut some more of the stock exhaust out and dropped the drive shaft.

Was hoping to drop the trans tonight or at least have it ready to drop but it got too late and too damn cold. Oh well it'll for sure be on the ground this weekend.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Looking good!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Got my last present from improved racing. Really happy with the customer service over there. Had questions about military discount and they were beyond helpful and very quick with the answers. 10/10 would recommend!!!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Bad ***!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

The trickle of parts continues

tick flux capacitor

ATI whirly-gig

Been fighting the sickness lately so no progress on the car to speak off. More parts on the way still though.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 02-25-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great work so far man sorry to hear about your dad, I was in a similar situation at a young age unexpectedly. Believe I was 19 in college when my dad passed away suddenly. Yesterday I picked up a 71 SS Camaro since he had one back in the day. Plan on a near future 2nd gen LS swap as a tribute car for him and to show what I learned from him and our passion for muscle cars. Hopefully one day I can pass in along to my son which is on the way now.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Two steps forward, one step back. Dropped the torque arm and trans cross member. But ran into a snag, I have two different size jack stands and the smaller of the two is too short to get the height needed to slide my atv jack under the car to drop the trans. Otherwise the trans is ready to come out. Was too late to make a parts store run soooo done for tonight.

Oh and I made a mess. Whats new.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6ICK2k
Great work so far man sorry to hear about your dad, I was in a similar situation at a young age unexpectedly. Believe I was 19 in college when my dad passed away suddenly. Yesterday I picked up a 71 SS Camaro since he had one back in the day. Plan on a near future 2nd gen LS swap as a tribute car for him and to show what I learned from him and our passion for muscle cars. Hopefully one day I can pass in along to my son which is on the way now.
Hell yeah man, start a thread. Get that thing going! But yeah man ******* sucks loosing them early. It's still weird working on his car. Every time I get done doing something on it I feel the urge to pick up the phone and call him.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 03-02-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Saturday update:

Got my SE torque arm a few days ago

Finally got the trans out

Tomorrow I'll be installing the new ta and dropping her on the ground then its time to rally the troops and yank the motor. I can't wait!

Quick Reply: Building up dad's camaro.