Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to just drop this idea, I’ve been looking into waking up the 454 but have concerns that doing one of of these top end kits might stress things(such as other engine components below the heads) too much. Sounds like a very expensive lesson! I’m fairly confident in the driveline after the motor with the Tremec and 12 bolt rear end.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any info on your BB? Pics?
Some mark IVs were real turds. Big motor but made "economically". Sort of a light duty BB. Chevy made them for the P chassis and stripped chassis motor home trucks and they are real turds.
But you could have a heavy duty "hi perf" motor. Now thats a good BB to have. I believe they are steal cranks and forged internals. You can tell if the block is stamped hi perf on the front. Also look at the push rods. If the push rods are thick full 3/8ths then you likely have a heavy duty version. If you do, then your fine building it up further. Otherwise, yeah I'd say you better start over with a whole new base.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the clutch,pressure plate, flywheel and bellhousing off to do a clutch. I saw “ hi perf” in the casting on the rear of the block so ... maybe I’m good to go? Just where on the front would I find the stamp?