Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My first car

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My first car

Hey everyone. Long time lurker here. Always had trucks. Recently finished a power train swap for my 06 z71 and blew the 4l60 for the 10th time so deciding to play with less weight in hopes that a 4l60e will last. I just bought my first car at 33 years old, a $400 camaro v6 roller. I will be swapping in my truck motor. This is not my first swap but it is my first f body swap and my first swap that is not a direct replacement plug n play. Forgive me if you see me reviving old threads, I'm just in search of help and information. Any advice, links to good swap threads, or offers on used parts that I need would be greatly appreciated. Build goals are to swap my trucks motor and converter, buy a new trans, and do as much suspension upgrades as my budget will allow. The car is almost completely bare bones so I have alot of work ahead of me. Trying to have it done by July. First order of business will be getting a new k member, and a v8 wiring harness.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Forgot to mention that this is somewhat of a RIP build for my friend Kris who passed last year. He built the motor for my truck and was constantly urging me to leave trucks alone and get an f body. So i decided I am going to build one. He was going to sell me his 600+ HP 403ci trans am but he passed before I could gather funds for the car and his family took the car away. (Not that I blame them for doing it)

Here is a photo of Kris with my LQ9 the day he delivered it to my house. I had to make him take the picture lol, at the time it was meaningless. I had no idea it would end up being the ONLY photo of a good mechanic and a good friend that I have to remember him by. I can only imagine the grin that would be glued to his face if I called and told him I bought a 2002 camaro 😆

The following 2 users liked this post by LS1_Z71:
Bob570 (04-16-2022), Threadzy (04-13-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome! Sorry about your friend. Never easy. Car looks good and appears to be a good starting point. Should be fun.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MarXster2
Welcome! Sorry about your friend. Never easy. Car looks good and appears to be a good starting point. Should be fun.
yeah it definitely sucks not having him around with his knowledge of f bodies, LS engines, and a wealth of leftover goodies in the parts bin lol. But I do have a potential forum member that may end up selling me majority of what i need from his LS1 donor. The car is in better shape than my 2006 z71 and the car is 4 years older. The underside is nearly rust free. The interior is bare, but clean and rust free and appears to be leak free. Just one dent on the left rear panel, and a dent on the pass side on the hood. Thinking of getting an SS hood with the scoop anyways. As stupid as it sounds, I think some C6 wheels will be the first thing I buy for the car lol. Can't stand the corvette wagon wheels on it now. Probably keep them for race day though. Definitely excited to build my first car and finally something that's not 5000LBs
Old 04-16-2022, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Just scored an LS6 intake manifold today from a local Facebook marketplace seller. My first mod lol. Is TPIS still doing the 90mm snouts?
The following users liked this post:
blackbyrd (04-16-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 03:11 AM
Teching In

Sweet score on the intake, I would hit the search feature and find some threads on it. Plenty with good notes. Thinking about that mod myself. Don’t blame ya on the wheels, IMO biggest change a car can get instantly appearance wise.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:35 AM
Teching In

Sweet score on the intake, I would hit the search feature and find some threads on it. Plenty with good notes. Thinking about that mod myself. Don’t blame ya on the wheels, IMO biggest change a car can get instantly appearance wise.
Yeah, these wagon wheels are slightly growing on me but they have to go! I am intrigued with the fact I have 2 diff size wheels. I've always had trucks so this small detail is so cool to me. Can't wait to put some c6 wheels up here

tubular k member and longtubes are being shipped to me as we speak. Just grabbed a used stock intake setup for 25 bucks. Just needed it for the base. Will be running the slp kit with the scoop. Grabbing a radiator and a few small things from a forum member hopefully next week when my funds allow. This is becoming expensive but being able to buy parts one by one isn't as bad on the wallet as spending 10k at once on a completed car plus its more fun i guess lol. Gonna start turning wrenches on this thing soon

Old 04-23-2022, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Nice score, SLP CAI from what I’ve read appears to be only item worth getting from them. I’ll probably get mine next summer. Plan to just go through my car and freshen it up once home.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Nice score, SLP CAI from what I’ve read appears to be only item worth getting from them. I’ll probably get mine next summer. Plan to just go through my car and freshen it up once home.
What kind of camaro ya got? Overseas in military? And yeah from what I've been seeing it seems like the slp lid is a solid investment especially with the little ram air scoop. My heads should be happy with having a little extra air pushed to them lol, the camaro intake setup is alot better design than the 2006 gmc truck intake so I think the motor will be happy in this car, even with a truck oriented cam.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Headers came in on the FedEx truck today (with slight damage of course). I don't think its worth the energy of fussing over, so oh well. Not sure where my k member is lol, need to call and get a shipping number on it. Bought it thru Texas speed but it was drop shipped direct from manufacturer
Old 07-11-2023, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Back from the dead lol. Few small updates. Put the car on hold since I got picked up a 2008 tahoe and also had a new shop built, which will soon be the camaros new home 😊 k member did eventually come in, took quite a while though, like a month or so.

Unsure On what my next step will be. Started a new business and my tahoe doesnt like pulling the dump trailer, so i may end up fixing my z71 and putting the camaro on hold. About to start collecting camaro parts again though, as my funds are finally bouncing back from everything that's been going on. Good news is I also picked up an 18ft car trailer so now the camaro has a new home and a new trailer to ride on.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:47 AM
Teching In

Also picked up a dismantled 5.3 but it's rusty so I'm debating on trading it for what's supposedly a built 300hp Honda B20b engine and type r trans. The 5.3 was free so I'm still not taking a loss even if the b20 isnt what he says it is.. Having a free Honda motor and trans set aside would surely come in handy for when I want to build a little beater car, or even make it a track car. Would be nice to have a camaro and a civic to play with. Eyes open for an lq, ls2 or ls3 block though.
Old 07-11-2023, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Nice garage, super jealous. Life happens so keep it inside and finish it up one day.

Quick Reply: My first car