Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

69 Camaro LS Swap Factory A/C Evaporator suitcase

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Camaro LS Swap Factory A/C Evaporator suitcase

My car is nearing the end of the swap. Engine is in, however, the inner cover of the suitcase broke when mounting the headers. Does anyone make a LS swap inner cover? I haven't been able to find one. We're looking at getting a new inner cover and notching the suitcase to accommodate the headers. I'm almost at a tipping point to get a vintage air system but not there yet. Any thoughts on keeping the factory suitcase in the meantime would be helpful.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

Cut away the cracked area and the area you want to notch then build it back with fiberglass?
Old 09-03-2023, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I do not know what part of the US you are in so cooling performance in the summer may or may not be a huge concern. If you are anywhere where the thermometer is over 90 and the humidity is over 50 percent I'd upgrade. The factory AC was marginal at best fair for the day when the car was new but lacking greatly by today's HVAC performance standards in terms of temperature and air delivery volume. If it's a car you are going to keep and drive the wheels off of drop a vintage air system in it and never look back. Its the equivalent of the small block you just ditched and the leap forwards going to the LS is but on the HVAC side of the coin.

It also cleans up the engine bay getting rid of all the HVAC components on the engine side of the firewall

But also you can fiberglass up the area you hit and it will be just fine if funds are not allowing for the above. one recomendation if you opt to keep the stock system is to ditch the condenser and upgrade to a vintage air condenser at least. Uou are having to fab hoses anyway's so it's an easy upgrade that will net a huge performance improvement. Swap the evap while the case is open for a nice new fresh one. Make sure the blower is clean and you have a good vacuum supply and you can make a pretty decent system out of the stock HVAC provided your airbox is in good shape and all the doors are not wore out and broke which result is air leaking everywhere and poor performance out of the vents. I have not had much luck finding parts to rebuild the air boxes when they are wore out. That's usually the nail in the coffin of stock ac at the ages they are getting to

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 09-03-2023 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro LS Swap Factory A/C Evaporator suitcase