Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Is Chevy Destroying The SS Name?
Yes
68.11%
No
21.40%
Who Cares?
10.49%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy Destroying The SS Name?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the SS name means * *** KICKING * it always has..SUPER SPORT..look a malibu chevelle didnt turn any heads now did it? but as soon as a SUPER SPORT *SS* Chevelle pulled in EEVERYBODY took notice...and if they ever make a damn Corvette SS i am going to freakin HURL...if the vette can't stand on it's own 2 feet then it doesnt need to be there..the Camaro has always been the step child. even tho it can out perform the vette DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR...GMHT has proved it time and again...i think that chevyrolet needs to pull their heads outta their asses and leave the SS BADGE where it BELONGS on the TOP OF THE LINE..*** KICKIN..ASPHALT SHREDDING RWD F BODY...PERIOD>
Old 11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol......if by out peform dollar for dollar I hope you mean in the straight line and there is more to racing then just going straight.

A fully tuned suspension in an f-body would have a hard time beating a stock c5 z51 (or whatever suspension code it is) vette on a road course. lol

Thats not even including the z06. That would be murder lol.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
The SS badge should be on the model with the highest output, sportiest character, etc...

That would mean the Cobalt SS, Trailblazer SS, Malibu SS, etc, are all deserving of the badge.
I think thats reasonable. It stands for "Super Sport", not "RWD Muscle Car", so its perfectly acceptable to use it on the performance versions of GM vehicles.

Drive a Cobalt SS S/C, its sporty, quick, and fun to drive - which is exactly what the badge stands for.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

As long as it means best of that specific model I'm cool with it. Z something, or SS
Old 11-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I can see this point of view though... I felt the same way, grant it that what I had wasnt the nicest of all vehicles. But it was the nicest of its own kind... It is a Lumina LTZ, this gave it a bigger motor, better suspension, leather, power everything, all options and more that you couldnt even order on a regular model... Including monty Z34 front and rear facia... It made me real mad that there is now a Trail Blazer LTZ, Monte LTZ, Impala LTZ, so on so on... They took a once rare thing only one very few caprices and luminas, and said... WTF, why not give it to aboslutly every single vehicel we make now... And they are doing that with the SS as well... Now I have an SS camaro and the LTZ lumina... lol... and both names are being used on every single car they produce...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can get VERY **** on a topic like this, so I will try to keep it simple. As long as the vehicle wearing the badge, actually has a performance edge over the non-SS badge wearing counterpart, I can let it slide. Like the S-10 SS (nice truck, but nothing super about it, also includes the X-treme), Monte Carlo SS (non-supercharged models), as well as any other vehicle in any manufacturer' s product line, with GT or SS-type models where the package denotes a higher-performance package, but is nothing more than appearance mods, **** me the **** off!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

The problem with the S-10's is that the x-treme had a base 2.2L engine... And the 4.3 SCFI of the second gen was just, well... gay... The SS however carried over the 4.3 CPI which boasted more torque and HP than any engine offered... other than the Sy/Ty's, which simply had the 4.3 CPI with a turbo system on them... and amazing looks as well... And the Monte... well, why... oh why would you only offer the S/C as an option on the SS in 04/05, then change them all together and take it away... grant it they added the 327 DOD for the SS, but now I ask why the DOD... Some one just bought an SS, it doenst stand for SUPER gas SAVINGS... So whats the point... They wanna go fast and have people know that they can... Eh... oh well
Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Here is the reality of the situation:

If Chevy stops using the name they run the risk of losing it and other companies being able to use it. Hey, its legal for them to do that too if a company quits using the name. Would you rather retain the name so it can be applied to cooler vehicles later or would you guys rather keep bitching and have it removed only to be stolen and used on Asian cars.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dexter
The problem with the S-10's is that the x-treme had a base 2.2L engine... And the 4.3 SCFI of the second gen was just, well... gay... The SS however carried over the 4.3 CPI which boasted more torque and HP than any engine offered... other than the Sy/Ty's, which simply had the 4.3 CPI with a turbo system on them... and amazing looks as well... And the Monte... well, why... oh why would you only offer the S/C as an option on the SS in 04/05, then change them all together and take it away... grant it they added the 327 DOD for the SS, but now I ask why the DOD... Some one just bought an SS, it doenst stand for SUPER gas SAVINGS... So whats the point... They wanna go fast and have people know that they can... Eh... oh well
So the S10 SS actually DID have more performance? I thought that same engine was available as an option in the other S10' s as well?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by badjuju342
The SS badge does NOT belong on ANY FWD V6 or 4cyl car. It should only be on RWD or AWD with V8 power.
i agree
Old 11-15-2006, 01:25 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=Black FormulaLs1]..the Camaro has always been the step child. even tho it can out perform the vette DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR...QUOTE]
please...the z06 stomps all camaro's ' dollar for dollar'
Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

please...the z06 stomps all camaro's ' dollar for dollar'

Camaros and Z06 Vettes cost the same amount... Arg... Then I could have got the other one then
Old 11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I could have bought a Z06 for $23k?!
Old 11-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah... my Z06 woulda been $13,000.00
Old 11-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Look at the day an age we live in, I'm all for the new cobalt SS. It is sweet compact car. The malibu on the other hand it pretty stupid. The trailblazer SS is another great example of a modern day Super Sport and would probably dust any SS bulit in the 60's. I don't think chevy is ruining the SS name at all. As for the DOD comment, what does it matter if cylinders shut off at cruising, when you slam the gas it moves. I would love to have a car that will run mid 14's while getting 25+ miles per gallon and have a V8 for a daily driver. Granted it is wrong wheel drive, I still think the Impala, Monte, and even Cobalt are true to what Super Sport stand for.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
I would love to have a car that will run mid 14's while getting 25+ miles per gallon and have a V8 for a daily driver.
I run low 13' s and can achieve 25/mpg without DOD.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
The trailblazer SS is another great example of a modern day Super Sport and would probably dust any SS bulit in the 60's.
No offense to you at all. My 2 cents is that it is unwise to encourage people to drive fast. It is plain stupid to encourage them to do so in an SUV or other vehicle which people already overdrive as well as it being dangerous in the first place.

I do think that people need to face the music, though. Sports cars which cost $$$$$ are getting sportier and faster. The common mans sport car is gone. Cheap cars are getting safer and slower to adjust to the now overpopulated North American Road System. I don't see it changing either.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

The SS name on the trailblazer is bad ***. It is a muscle machine. HItting 13 second quarters is bad *** no matter what and handles great think about the bmw m series suvs how about mecedes g55 suv . The SS symbol is for the highest performance model available for the car/truck/suv from chevorlet. Chevy is doing a great job in with the SS's they get attention look good perform good. If they keep this up it will help them get out of the whole they are in right now. If they didnt have the SS line ups i wouldnt ever have look at the cobalt or the trail blazer or montecarlo. the FWD monte carlo SS can run a low 14 sec 1/4 and can be in the 13,s with a pcm flash. This still beats the mercury Marader and is realy close to the charger rt. the cobalt ss wasnt the best but it still was in reach of the srt 4. And the malibu ss is doing good but the 4 speed auto is killing it with the other cars. So all in all chevy is doing a good job with the SS name. and the cobalt ss will have a 260 hp turbo engine soon enough.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Come on, SS is too common now. As soon as they dropped the camaro they decided to ***** it out to all their other cars. Any car can be an SS, but only a camaro can be a Z28...
Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

This post lost all merit long before someone compared a GTO to a Grand AM.

Then, someone complained about GM using FWD V8s which GM has been using since the 1980's in Cadillacs. Like it was a brand new concept.

Save this forum its reputation and....

LOCK THIS THREAD PLEASE!

Quick Reply: Chevy Destroying The SS Name?