Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Is Chevy Destroying The SS Name?
Yes
68.11%
No
21.40%
Who Cares?
10.49%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy Destroying The SS Name?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in england and to be honest my SS is like rocking horse ****, you just dont see them. Being that Chevy over here is just the badge on little crap rice cars the SS debate dosn't apply.

But in my opinion "too much water dilutes the flavour!"
Old 08-27-2006, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kissmyss03
actually its a 303hp and a 323 lbs torque car that weights 3200
3395, but it still should be a mid 13 second car, meaning it's Chevys only competitor with the mustang that is in the same price range and HP. They need to fix it's sloppy handling though; if they made the Monte SS handle like it was on rails, I'd care less if it was FWD
Old 08-27-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess u could look at it like that , SS is their answer to SVT and SRT in my opinion , but yes when I think SS i think bad *** **** and the Trailblazer doesn't do it for me , I think they ruined SS with the 4th Gen camaro , I love the cars but their just wasn't that much of a difference performance-wise , appearance mostly in my opinion , but i'd own something with SS on the side of it before i'd own something that said SRT or SVT , but then again i'm stubborn and ignorant.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy0utlaw
Recently Chevy has decided to have a few new cars with SS options. When I think SS I think of V8's with awesome styling and amazing performance, Camaros, Novas, Chevelle's, Monte Carlos Etc.

Chevy has released the Cobalt in an SS package (205 HP 2.0L Engine) The Cobalt doesn't look like a muscle car, doesn't perform like a muscle car, and in my mind doesn't deserve the SS name.

And the Malibu is now going to be in SS, I can kind of understand the Malibu because Malibu was avaliable in SS back in the day but a V6 Malibu just doesn't seem like an SS to me... even though I like V6 Monte Carlo SS cars.

And they are also releasing the Trailblazer in an SS package... come on an SUV with an SS package... In my mind SS is an elite name, and now with so many cars with the package I believe the SS name is losing elite status with many people. Chevy is just putting Super Sport on cars to sell more of them, and I don't think they realize that eventually no one will care about SS because they are too common and people seem to like the SS package because it is rare compared to other packages and is known for it's performance. I'm sure many will disagree and I know the goal is to provide affordable performance but I think they are taking it too far, go ahead and argue with me, agree, and vote on the poll.

Yes they are.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

For a moment most of you will need to consider what is happening in the American automotive markets and the industries that drive those markets. As we should all know, general manufacturing in America is slowly going away. We have more and more products being made over-seas, imported and sold for much cheaper than if produced here. Why is that? Laws.. Lawsuits.. Money.. You name it. When countries can simply put people to work for pennies on the dollar, have lax, some what rule free manufacturing procedures, and operate with non-existent safety, environmental, labor, and control regulations.. they of course can do things cheaper...

To make this brief.. Unfortunately in this country Toyota and Honda have a clean, easy grasp on the market. Their vehicles are known for reliability, class, and value. In a time where most consumers are concerned about the price of gas and the cost of living, these kind of auto makers have the edge in sales. It just so happens that these same auto makers are apart of the foreign industries hurting our American manufacturing industries, thus impacting our American automotive industries. If you work at a paper mill, an aluminum, steel or titanium plant (I can't include high-end electronics because thats already completely gone) you should understand what I am talking about when I say the market is going away--Through series of pay reductions, lay-offs and plant shut downs that end thousands of American jobs each year.. The same thing is happening at Ford, GM and D/Chrysler

Today we see Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge doing something they've really never done before: (Near) Perfectly answering Honda and Toyota with new 4 cyl, fwd, commuter, budget-friendly vehicles. They are marketing their new lines exceptionally well, too. This is why you are seeing the advent of a 4cyi fwd Cobalt with an SS option--People love and know words like "SS" and "GT". Producing GT and SS models of budget-friendly cars like this with will promote interest (sales) and hopefully convert the Honda and Toyota minded over.

So.. specifically for Chevrolet, this SS branding is for flash and pizzazz. Ultimately its to draw interest, sales and.. stay the hell afloat in a market being raped by foreign industry.

I hope this small story made sense and answered some questions…

In any case.. can you say.. buy American?

Feel free to disagree.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can "buy american" and not buy a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.

Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, and Mercedes all have plants that give many Americans jobs and they churn out lots of great cars everyday.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
You can "buy american" and not buy a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.

Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, and Mercedes all have plants that give many Americans jobs and they churn out lots of great cars everyday.
but where does your money go when you buy these cars? most of it goes back to Japan
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy0utlaw
Recently Chevy has decided to have a few new cars with SS options. When I think SS I think of V8's with awesome styling and amazing performance, Camaros, Novas, Chevelle's, Monte Carlos Etc.

Chevy has released the Cobalt in an SS package (205 HP 2.0L Engine) The Cobalt doesn't look like a muscle car, doesn't perform like a muscle car, and in my mind doesn't deserve the SS name.

And the Malibu is now going to be in SS, I can kind of understand the Malibu because Malibu was avaliable in SS back in the day but a V6 Malibu just doesn't seem like an SS to me... even though I like V6 Monte Carlo SS cars.

And they are also releasing the Trailblazer in an SS package... come on an SUV with an SS package... In my mind SS is an elite name, and now with so many cars with the package I believe the SS name is losing elite status with many people. Chevy is just putting Super Sport on cars to sell more of them, and I don't think they realize that eventually no one will care about SS because they are too common and people seem to like the SS package because it is rare compared to other packages and is known for it's performance. I'm sure many will disagree and I know the goal is to provide affordable performance but I think they are taking it too far, go ahead and argue with me, agree, and vote on the poll.
I agree,..... I've thought this for years aswell. I think that in leu of GM's financial status.... that their just throw'n the SS badge on everything cuz they think it'll just bring up sales numbers.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Teching In

i agree the "SS" name is being ruined. i previously owned a 98 Camaro SS brickyard triple white convertible. i was recently in a new chevy dealer showroom. i was amazed at the number of stupid cars they put SS on now. it use to mean something. it use to mean get the hell out of my way.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmDrag98
.........i was amazed at the number of stupid cars they put SS on now. it use to mean something. it use to mean get the hell out of my way.
Yea,....uummm if ANYONE wants to argue this point of view they better have a way to explain the SSR!
SSR
Old 09-21-2006, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FireStorm
but where does your money go when you buy these cars? most of it goes back to Japan
F-bodies were made in Canada.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Teching In

well guys, i hate to say this but well i am an SS freak and it is my one and only car and i dont compramise but,, i have seen an SUV killing a camaro SS (modified) so i think when it comes to power it doesnt matter weather it is a SUV or a sprots car but well yeah SS is only for 8 Cyl. Beasts
Old 10-30-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think even the SS of the 4th gen was not really true to the SS name if you are saying they are ruining it. THe cars really didnt make anymore power it was mostly an appearance package. You could change the suspension. But the Colbat SS at least there you have a differnt motor and a super charger..
Old 10-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

no one sees it..the name "SS" is a selling point, come on, and infact i like it, and its probably helping GM. GM does not care about history as much as the money, the "
Cobalt SS" is not rwd and is not anywhere near 300HP or even a v8, but it is the top of the line model cobalt, and chevy already has the "ss" name behind it, so why make another name for the newer performance vehicles? And people remember the name "SS" due to its history in peoples minds, SS means power, and sine the Cobalt SS is infact the highest HP model of its series it gets the SS name. Think about it. Just the name SS is used in songs, the ss name should still be used because it helps to sell the higher end cars.

and even for example the 90s montie carlo "ss" the ss version didnt have more power, BUT the exterior was "more sporty" witch put it to the top of the line monte carlo, this goes for chevys new line up of cars with the SS badge.

excuse my spelling and such, i cant type this very well not being able to see the monitor.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think they are...ive called this on 2 other forums i talk on...called it a long time ago, around feb or march... ...i remember a while back i said next thing they will do is have a vette ss...a few weeks later i read about project stingray or whatever....i hope it doesnt sport these badges when it comes out

Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicagoboostin
no one sees it..the name "SS" is a selling point, come on, and infact i like it, and its probably helping GM. GM does not care about history as much as the money, the "
Cobalt SS" is not rwd and is not anywhere near 300HP or even a v8, but it is the top of the line model cobalt, and chevy already has the "ss" name behind it, so why make another name for the newer performance vehicles? And people remember the name "SS" due to its history in peoples minds, SS means power, and sine the Cobalt SS is infact the highest HP model of its series it gets the SS name. Think about it. Just the name SS is used in songs, the ss name should still be used because it helps to sell the higher end cars.

and even for example the 90s montie carlo "ss" the ss version didnt have more power, BUT the exterior was "more sporty" witch put it to the top of the line monte carlo, this goes for chevys new line up of cars with the SS badge.

excuse my spelling and such, i cant type this very well not being able to see the monitor.

its not that we dont see it, we arnt stupid....but we dont like it
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

SS badges are being way overused!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

ANyone remember the 60's? When SS was an appearance package? I-6 Nova Wagons with SS Badges?

It's being used very well today, IMHO. For Example...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Sport

Take a look, you be the judge.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wrastler
When I think SS, I think Camaro....I dont want that to change.

When I think SS I think of a Chevelle.

The SS badge needs to stand for a lot more that just a little more performance. My brother thought it was dumb to call the Camaro SS better than a Z28 when it was less than 50 hp difference between the cars. GM should make the SS really special. Trust me, if they made the Cobalt SS a 300+ HP monster, I am pretty sure they would have loads of buyers...

OH and I still think the 96 Impalla SS was an awesome car

Old 11-05-2006, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

OK, the SS was around BEFORE the Camaro. It was used on the ChevyII/Nova back in the early 60's and could be had with an inline 6.

Quick Reply: Chevy Destroying The SS Name?