Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Is Chevy Destroying The SS Name?
Yes
68.11%
No
21.40%
Who Cares?
10.49%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy Destroying The SS Name?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:20 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with you bomber
Old 05-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I hate to say this but GM has something quite far up it's rear. It is unwilling to take risks the way some other car companies are. Say what you want about them, but the GTO, Charger, Impala...none of them do justice to their original designs (yes, i know charger = dodge). Thats why Ford will continue to outsell, unfortunately. You don't see the mustang a 4 door do you? Hell even nissan came out with a 350z which I feel pays some respect to its predecessor in that it has a respectable engine and looks like a car with some muscle. But nay, and it's design whether you like it or not you must admit pays more respect to its lineage than the charger (aka a 4-door magnum), the GTO (a glorified and over-powered grand am), or a new camaro which I hear rumors may be a FWD station wagon. True or not, I wouldn't put it past chevy because the truth is they're trying to grab the muscle car market and the family sedan market in the same car and it's not going to work. I hope to god they don't make another camaro until they fire all their design staff and make something that's worthwhile. Same goes for dodge. Ford, even though we all know chevy at the heart craps on 'em, will continue to outsell until they (GM) gets their heads out of their asses. Did you see the prototype charger? That was hot. I would've bought that. Impala SS should be a 350 RWD. If that's not how it can come out, don't make it.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:17 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by prelude00782
a new camaro which I hear rumors may be a FWD station wagon.
---> ---> ---> ---> ---> --->
Old 06-07-2005, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

The SS badge is nothign more than Chevy's version of---

Dodge's R/T Badge
or
Ford's SVT Badge
or
BMW's M Badge

It is basically the badest of that product line.....
Now I would be mad if they called it a Cobalt Z28 or a Cobalt Z.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:23 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by need-a-z
Now I would be mad if they called it a Cobalt Z28 or a Cobalt Z.
That's what the Z24 moniker would be for.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
That's what the Z24 moniker would be for.
Always hated those gay little car's
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Remember the Beretta Z26? Lumina Z34?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dgformula2k
All Crappy Cars
Old 06-08-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont like the idea of the SS badge being on every car either but remember when it comes to performance and driving, everyone is at a different level or desire a different level performance car. Some people want 400hp rwd, others want 210hp fwd. But both persons want the top notch performance car of that level, and the SS badge signifies that for them.

Dodge did with RT and SRT, and it works wonders in sales. Even imports do it, they just through and R on everything and people buy it.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:57 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by ibanez7
I dont like the idea of the SS badge being on every car either but remember when it comes to performance and driving, everyone is at a different level or desire a different level performance car. Some people want 400hp rwd, others want 210hp fwd. But both persons want the top notch performance car of that level, and the SS badge signifies that for them.

Dodge did with RT and SRT, and it works wonders in sales. Even imports do it, they just through and R on everything and people buy it.
I agree.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Of course they're doing it to boost sales but I still don't like that they put the badge on the highest version of an economy car. Even if it is the top performer in that line, it's still a fwd 4cyl.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prelude00782
Guys,

I hate to say this but GM has something quite far up it's rear. It is unwilling to take risks the way some other car companies are. Say what you want about them, but the GTO, Charger, Impala...none of them do justice to their original designs (yes, i know charger = dodge). Thats why Ford will continue to outsell, unfortunately. You don't see the mustang a 4 door do you? Hell even nissan came out with a 350z which I feel pays some respect to its predecessor in that it has a respectable engine and looks like a car with some muscle. But nay, and it's design whether you like it or not you must admit pays more respect to its lineage than the charger (aka a 4-door magnum), the GTO (a glorified and over-powered grand am), or a new camaro which I hear rumors may be a FWD station wagon. True or not, I wouldn't put it past chevy because the truth is they're trying to grab the muscle car market and the family sedan market in the same car and it's not going to work. I hope to god they don't make another camaro until they fire all their design staff and make something that's worthwhile. Same goes for dodge. Ford, even though we all know chevy at the heart craps on 'em, will continue to outsell until they (GM) gets their heads out of their asses. Did you see the prototype charger? That was hot. I would've bought that. Impala SS should be a 350 RWD. If that's not how it can come out, don't make it.
If Chevy makes the Camaro a FWD Station Wagon I'm going to jump off the highest building I can find, nuff said.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Renegade
If Chevy makes the Camaro a FWD Station Wagon I'm going to jump off the highest building I can find, nuff said.
I've read all these posts and thought I would add my two cents. People need to realize that ths "SS" emblem is recognized by many as the High-Horsepower versions of that particular car. Now being a 60's muscle car fan and owning one myself (68camaro ss), I equate "ss" to that era. Younger drivers who may not remember cars that far back may equate "ss" to their particular era (90's camaros, for ex.). However, you place a 1st gen ss camaro/chevelle with a big block, all cammed up, headers, 3" exhaust, next to ANY current production car today-start them up and watch what happens. At idle you will be lucky if you can even hear the newer car, and at wide-open throttle you can just forget about it! I've seen this so many times at cars shows, cruises, gas stations, etc. Now, were these cars faster than todays cars? Some are, some are not. But you have to admit, nothing quite sound lika a high-horsepower BBC !!
So the fact that the original "SS" badging came on these cars gives the SS a mystique all of its own. "LOUD, NECK SNAPPING ACCELERATION, LOTS OF TIRE SMOKE, COOL COLORS, AND ALL SORTS OF OPTIONS THAT YOU COULD CHECK OFF (MOSTLY PERFORMANCE)." Personally I don't care if someone can take me in a road course. Most races are from stoplight to stoplight and I think that is what these cars were MAINLY built for. Street drags were huge back then and everyone knew about "The guy with the 427 camaro ss, or the LS-6 chevelle the kid down the street just bought!" People were very likely to hear of your car before they heard of you!
So to end, just keep in mind "ss" means different things to different people. And each era of SS cars have different purposes. I just happen to like the 60s definition the best.

(On a side note, Chevy has to bring back the camaro. How cool would a retro camaro ss be? Especially if it looked like the 1st gen cars with 2006 styling!? (Like Ford has done with the t-bird and mustang). Then ad optional big-block 454-502? That would be the ULTIMATE SS for sure). Its too bad that young chevy fans can't get a reasonably priced, V-8 to compete with the stangs !!) What the hell is the matter with GM? All the old muscle car pioneers are rolling in their graves right now!!!! REMEMBER-WHETHER WE ALL AGREE OR NOT-WE ARE ALL STILL CHEVY-USA ALL THE WAY!

Last edited by bb489; 06-12-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badjuju342
The SS badge does NOT belong on ANY FWD V6 or 4cyl car. It should only be on RWD or AWD with V8 power.
Amen, brother!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

This is off topic, but is it just me or does everyone keep seeing this thread as being replied to everytime they log in?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

everytime someone votes on the pole at the top, it shows up
Old 06-16-2005, 09:55 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
everytime someone votes on the pole at the top, it shows up
I never thought about that. Jeez
Old 06-21-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgformula2k
ouch...

I didn't know my 265HP lumina ment nothing to you guys

Regardless, I don't think that Chevy is ruining the SS name. The Cobalt SS's arn't slow, hell they run 13's stock mated with a 5-speed. They are severly underrated. I have no idea what the Malibu SS will run, but its not going to be a sloutch like the anemic monte SS, (99-2005). Just be happy that car is finally getting the V8 treatment.

Its all opinion obviousy, but if you posted this on just a casual car forum, the results will be differnt. I mean, Obviously a majority of the members on here drive cars that are particularly fast. If we want to go back in the day (late 60's, early 70's) you will then realize not every big named car was fast. Thats the biggest mis-conseption. Besides, who wants 500 whp when you got to drive in the snow, its totally usless, unless you say, have front wheel drive. I don't think I ever got stuck in the snow with my lazy 210HP z34. (reciently sold). Now I'm moving to california and it wont matter, but thats a small demographic. People have to be able to drive these things too you know.

Last edited by z34_nut; 06-21-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

You know, imports get alot of crap for being 4 cylinders and labeled "rice." The real difference between the muscle car and import market is that nobody in the import market knows what the hell they are doing. I can't tell you how many hooked up civics I've worked on for stupid nonsence like changing a light bulb. It's really the people behind the cars. I drive a 96 civic besides my 79 z28 and I resent my civic being referred to as rice just because it's a jap car. All the work minus the exhaust done to it including aesthetics I did myself, and the only reason I didn't do the exhaust was because I have a horrendous fear of breaking a bolt in the exhaust manifold.

People don't understand how the japanese car industry have revolutionized the market. A significant part of the reason why American cars are now more efficient are because of the Japanese car industry. Why did early american cars have wires all over the place as well as vacuum lines just everywhere, and now they are neatly tucked away and braided or otherwise nice and neat? To compete with the Japanese cars because theirs did that, and customer surveys said they preferred the neatness and organization of the japanese engine bays. As well as the higher efficiency engines. Just a small bit of car history of many for those who underestimate the japanese auto industry.

Don't get me wrong, I love american muscle as much as you guys, I'm just tired of having my car referred to as rice and a piece of garbage. It's far from.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I think when you say "I have an SS" people still instantly think of a camaro. I don't see that changing in the near future. But I do think it is being overused. Now if they had a Cobalt z06...then i'd be pissed.

Quick Reply: Chevy Destroying The SS Name?