Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Is Chevy Destroying The SS Name?
Yes
68.11%
No
21.40%
Who Cares?
10.49%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy Destroying The SS Name?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I think the Cobalt SS does deserve the badge. I dont care if its not a V8. The cars performance speaks for itself and its the new era of sport compact cars that can hold their own, such as the SRT-4...(though SRT-4 is better)
Acctually the Cobalt SS does everything better than the SRT-4 magazine's have been ranting on how smooth it is compared to the shitty power delivery in the SRT-4
Old 05-11-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

absolutely ehhem COBALTSS
Old 05-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kenp
Well, the first Super Sport I ever saw was a 63 Impala. I saw some 61's and 62's (Impala's) with no markings and I believe they had a 409 with solid lifters. Never saw SS badging on any '61 or '62. Let's be real about this. Originally, the Super Sport was just a go-fast car. It was the car in the line-up with the most HP and a 4-speed - there may have been some 3-speeds. It wasn't necessarily a sports car at all. That was the Corvette's mission. And, by the way, they all had manual transmissions. Then there were automatic Camaro SS's and automatic Chevelle SS 396's. Now, I never thought the SS badge should go on any automatic, but times changed. It was what people wanted. Now, people want SUV's and cars comparable to the ricers. GM is just doing what they need to do to sell cars. They're puting the SS badge on the car with the most HP in a particular line-up. That's what they did originally and that's what they're doing now. So all of you youngsters who equate the SS badge with Sports car or Camaro need to remember that the original production SS was a souped-up family car with two doors instead of four doors. GM is just putting the SS badge on the souped-up versions of the cars they're selling today. Thare ain't no diff.
wrong, in the beginning, SS was just a dress-up package for Impalas and Chevy IIs, it meant bucket seats and some different trim; not manual transmission. Later in the 60s, it meant hi-po options, and by the 70s it meant nothing again. I look at it this way, who cares what GM puts SS badges on now because at least they are trying to add some performance to some of the crap cars they make. GM's only good cars now are Caddys and GTOs (which are going the way of the Fbod soon anyways)
Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

My only point is that when companies over use there trademark badges such as "SS" it loses the value of owning one. Think of it like this, people pay 1000's of dollars for designer clothes such as Gucci and Versaci, because of the status they feel they get when wearing them. If one of those companies were to make a $60 dollar suit and everyone started buying them what do you think would happen to the status of the designer clothes company? When people bought them they would feel like everyone else, and people buy SS vehicles to have something unique. When you see 5 SS vehicles a day you don't get that feeling. Regardless of how fast they are, how well they corner, or how cool they look I don't think Chevy should make so many SS models avaliable.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Exactly. I can tell you that I'm glad I have an IROC and a Z28, at least they inspire a little of that "feeling" even if they are not the baddest machines on the street.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:21 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was great when I saw another SS car. It meant the owner was into a little bit more than the drab and boring "slower" model. Everyone still recognizes SS as the top dog, even people who know nothing about cars. These new SS vehicles are not hurting the image.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, its just one thing that makes this country great! However, 63% of the people here disagree with you, and numbers don't lie.

Last edited by PredatorZ; 05-12-2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

92 Vote's out of 39,235 Current member's oh yea... the people have spoken
Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
The SS badge should be on the model with the highest output, sportiest character, etc...

That would mean the Cobalt SS, Trailblazer SS, Malibu SS, etc, are all deserving of the badge.
With him!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by orange01z28
wrong, in the beginning, SS was just a dress-up package for Impalas and Chevy IIs, it meant bucket seats and some different trim; not manual transmission. Later in the 60s, it meant hi-po options, and by the 70s it meant nothing again. I look at it this way, who cares what GM puts SS badges on now because at least they are trying to add some performance to some of the crap cars they make. GM's only good cars now are Caddys and GTOs (which are going the way of the Fbod soon anyways)
RS is the dress-up package
Old 05-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaroz
92 Vote's out of 39,235 Current member's oh yea... the people have spoken

Oh man Camaroz, you crack me up! FYI its called a representitive sampling of the masses. Based on the current numbers it would be a safe assumption to say that if all 39,235 members actually voted the results would still favor the yes group. But since I seriously doubt that all members will vote we can only look at the the numbers of the people that do.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, its just one thing that makes this country great! However, 63% of the people here disagree with you, and numbers don't lie.
That's because of the people that are on the site. If you polled general America, I'm sure the poll would be different.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silver 00 SS
RS is the dress-up package
on F-Bods, I'm talking about the 60s here
Old 05-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

We could obviously go on forever about this... and that is exactly why I created this poll, it's good to see all the different opinons and look at things in another light. I appreciate everyone stopping by, voting, and posting there opinon. I don't think any other board could have had such a great turnout.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

That's because of the people that are on the site. If you polled general America, I'm sure the poll would be different.
If you polled the general population, the "who cares" option would win out by a lot since the average person has no idea what the initials SS even stand for. I'm assuming this poll is supposed to be from a "car guy's" point of view.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

i got asked what SS stood for the other day. i explained
Old 05-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
If you polled the general population, the "who cares" option would win out by a lot since the average person has no idea what the initials SS even stand for. I'm assuming this poll is supposed to be from a "car guy's" point of view.

Exactly.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:55 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
I'm talking about the people that turn into "Ride with Funkmaster Flex". Those people get flashed his Chevelle SS and whatever else he's working on with a SS badge - so obviously those ignorants are going to associate SS with top of the line fast. Go on any other message board online that has to do with cars and people are going to say to look out for the SS models as they offer the most performance of that model line - that's a fact.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:06 AM
dug
Banned

The ****'s ruined the SS badge.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

I'm talking about the people that turn into "Ride with Funkmaster Flex". Those people get flashed his Chevelle SS and whatever else he's working on with a SS badge - so obviously those ignorants are going to associate SS with top of the line fast. Go on any other message board online that has to do with cars and people are going to say to look out for the SS models as they offer the most performance of that model line - that's a fact.
Probably 99% of that crowd would be ricers so what does it matter what they think anyway.

Quick Reply: Chevy Destroying The SS Name?