Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

How I became a Camaro guy.... You??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased my 1st Camaro in 1974 during the 1st gas crisis. It was a 69 SS 396/325 w/TH400. It cost me $600. Blew up the engine racing it then boned it (hey, it was just another used car back then). In 1978 I purchased the 1st (of 7) 67, a bone stock RS 327/275 w/PG. It didn't stay that way long (hey, it was the 70's and not collectible at that point). Between then and 95 (when I bought a 96 Z28 vert) I had 6 more 67's (all RS at minimum) and a 68 SS 350 w/M21. The Big Block (396/325) RS/SS in my sig I bought in 1987 as a roller with no engine (but it did have the orig tranny and 12 bolt...by now they are collectible cars. It's also the only 1 I kept). It has tach, gauges, tilt, AM/FM (no stereo though), PDB, PS, PW, remote mirror, fold down rear seat and is deluxe interior (sort of a loaded luxo barge...it weighs almost 3600 lbs). What really caught my attention was the color combo: Emerald Turquoise (KK) exterior with parchement/black interior. In addition to the 02 Z I recently purchased an 89 RS as a daily driver beater (don't want to put back and forth to work miles on the 02).
Old 09-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

I love all camaros, always will
this 1st gen would make anyone drool

i would love to have this car cloned for myself someday, with a Blown LS7
Old 09-15-2005, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 430 Likes on 338 Posts

my dad has 70 1/2 Z-28 for 32 years. I loved to ride in that car when I was a kid. I eventually bought mine new in '99. Ordered it just the way I wanted it.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following post is 100% true.

I come home from school, dad's car is out front. Dad is no where to be found. I call his phone, no answer. I fgured he was next door. I turn the computer on and log into LS1tech.com. Open this thread and read it.

Keep in mind I have been looking for a Mustang for awhile now. I ran across this guy selling his 2001 z28 with 36k miles on it. I loved the car. Dad said no way I could get it as my first car, plus it was out of our price range. Dad comes home after I read 4 pages of this thread. He said our neighbor bill got a new car and I should go take a look at it. I walk out side and see the Z28 that I drove about a week ago. I seriously thought my neighbor bought the car. Then my dad handed me the keys and said take your mom for a drive. I about died right there. Shaking like no other, ect. I get it and go for a ride. I didn't think it was for real.

I'm proud to say my family now owns a 2001 Z28 Camaro. More details and pics later tonight.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome stories - some of them give me goosebumps!

And there are some WAY awesome cars you all have here.

When you're hooked on Camaro, it just doesn't go away. Sure, a 'vette has this or that, or a 'stang, or a Chevelle, but Camaro is really where it's at for me.

I want a first gen so bad I could cry. 1969. Someday.....
Old 10-11-2005, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

My interest in camaros actually started, surprisingly enough, with boats. My Uncle has a ’76 mastercraft with a Chevy 350 in it (he still, to this day, has it in mint condition). I always loved the sound of it when we would be skiing behind it or just riding around.

Anyways a few people around my neighborhood when I was younger had muscle cars but it was at my neighbors transmission shop where I saw my first camaro. My pops had taken me with him to pick up our neighbor so we could go to lunch and he had been installing a new clutch in a camaro. It was a ’69 SS Black on Black with two white racing stripes down the center. When he started it up to back it off the lift, it blew me away. It had that same deep tone that my uncle’s boat had except when he revved it, it shook the hell out of the ground and rattled me from the inside out. It just had a tone of just pure muscle (I believe I may have popped my first boner then… not too sure though I was about 5 or 6). From that instant I was hooked. It only too me 17 more years to save up for my own. Now Im on my quest to get my ‘02 to sound the way I remember that ‘69 sounding… Its getting close but with smog to deal with, its gonna be a pain in the ***.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Launching!

for me it started when i figured out a 97 GT sucks *** and camaros had 6 speeds.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

lol i feel you 01 artic ss i to am dying for that first gen. 69 Z
Old 10-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Launching!

I always grew up around car dealerships, collecting hot wheels, loving cars. I had a model of a 69 ss, gold with black stripes, I loved it. Right before my 16th birthday my dad mentioned buying me an old camaro, my mom thought a new one would be safer. They screwed with me for a couple months, then 16th b-day....navy blue metallic 02' z28. It was great, had some engine troubles, guy that owned it before me raced it, I drove a Tahoe for a while, and am currently in an 02' SS convertible.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

My love for Camaros has been around me since birth for me. After I was born my parents took me home in a Beige 1983 Camaro with the LG4 305 in it. I grew up with that car. Actually it is still in the basement of our garage. Towards the end of '95 that car started to die after about 150k miles. So my mom and dad were set on getting a brand new Camaro. Dad called about every dealer in a 50 mile radius asking for a red Z28 with T-tops. That is what we have now. I am now 18 and get to drive the car once or twice a week to church or to a friends house. It is so much fun to drive. Smooth and when you give it the gas it will go.

When I get out of college and start to get settled my dream car is to get a black IROC-Z with t-tops. Then the fun will begin with new chrome wheels, audio system, and to top it off, some kind of LSx engine.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

First Camaro I owned was a 79 Z28,, got it from my mom (she was the original owner) I blew the motor in it driving along with no coolant (long story) my punishment for smoking the engine was I had to rebuild it with my own money (turned into a pretty stout 383), she offered it to me if I would take the payments ($65/week) so I said yes, of course, later destroyed it hitting a deer @120.
Was relagated to a Dodge Colt for my college days
Then in 87 I had just graduated college, and was looking for a new ride to replace the 180k Dodge Colt I was rolling in.
Had looked at the 3rd gens, but dismissed them cause they were slow 305s, then I read Car and Driver that the 87s would be equipped with the 350 TPI, so I went down to the local Chevy dealer (Saltz Chevrolet, Salem Ma) Test drove one, and bought a brand new, 3 miles on the odo, 350 TPI IROC in blue, with black cloth interior, drove it daily till 96 when it dropped a valve on #4 cyl, so now it sits in the garage waiting on the $$$$ to swap in an LS1 (guess that'll be when I pay off the T/A)
Old 10-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Launching!

My sister works for GM and always has a company car. One weekday she was traveling thru our home area and she stopped at our mom and dads. I just happened to be there. Anyway she was driving a 99 Silver camaro Z28. I was thinking it looked pretty cool then she said lets go for a spin. Thats all it took after she let me drive it I was hooked I bought a brand new 00 the next spring
Old 10-17-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

I needed something to drive every day to school that got decent milage and was reliable.

went to the police auction and picked one up. only got it because it was cheap
Old 10-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Teching In

My father drove a Citris green '70 1/2. After it was stolen he ordered a blue
'73, spoiler/stripe-delete, which I still have.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:12 PM

1977 T/A for $700 down the road from my house in 1986. I was 17. Got a loan from Dad. Next car was an 82 camaro.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

When I was a kid my father always talked about some of the muscle cars he had owned. My passion for the Camaro began when my neighbor brought home an IROC-Z. From the moment I rode in that car I was hooked. At 18 I owned my first, a 1991 Z-28 and then from there I owned a 1996 Z, which was my favorite. Unfortunately, insurance under the age of 25 forced me to sell it. To this day I regret that decision, but I hope the new Camaro will be out in 08' as I will be one of the first in line to buy one.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Around 13 I watched Fast and the Furious... later realized those cars are all gay. Then a friend took me for a ride in his 5.0 Mustang. It was fast as hell, about 260hp at the wheels. Did some researching as I was getting closer and closer to being able to afford a car. I would settle for a 5.0 Mustang or V8 Camaro as long as I could afford it. I had given up all hope since everything I could find was out of my price range. I was taking the paper out and my dad told me "Why don't you check the classifieds in the paper?" I figured that since there weren't pictures, I shouldn't bother, but I looked anyways. I found a 1993 Camaro Z28 for sale for $2200. We ended up going to look at it, and it was in awesome condition aside froma few things. Turns out the paper misprinted it and was actually a 94 Z(score! even better!!!) and I bought it about one week before I got my full license.

And I am glad I got a Camaro instead of a Mustang
Old 10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Been a Camaro fan ever since I was a little kid. Used to get a ride to church on Sundays in a 1969 Camaro, blue, white stripes.
All through growing up whenever I saw a Camaro or Firebird I'd point and go "woah cool!"

So 1992 comes along and I'm about to buy a car. I remember SAYING "if they weren't changing the design of the Camaro, I'd get one." Well that was before I saw one in person.... boy did that change my mind in a hurry!

Didn't even test drive one, bought it on looks alone. Ordered a 1994 Z28 in February 1994, and it arrived on May 4, 1994.
I still remember going to the dealership to get it...
My dad brought me there and I immediately went to the build list (as I had done on every visit to the dealer since I ordered the car). Looked down the line at my car on the list and it had rolled off the assembly line on my 17th birthday, April 20, 1994. Thought "well it should be here soon!" Well the salesman I ordered it from says "hey we got one in today, you can go look at it if you want." So I'm looking at this car, and I'm thinking "man... it's red, auto, t-tops... kinda just like what I ordered." So I said that to my dad, and the salesman goes "that's the one!"

Talk about a feeling of elation... I was on cloud nine that day.
Driving it home and around town that day made me look like this --->
Oh yeah, I made the right choice! That car got me hooked on Camaros!

After that came a 1989 RS, a 1996 V6, a 1999 V6 and now my 2001 Z28.
Just can't drive anything else!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Hey, I am new here and this is my first post. I have to start somewhere. I was oblivious to cars let alone camaros until my first day of drivers ed. As I was standing with a crowd of kids waiting for our parents to come pick us up after our first day of class, my friend's dad cranked up his 1977 camaro which was backed up to the side walk. No one particularly noticed the camaro sitting there until that fate full second that changed my life forever. When that engine fired the entire crowd jumped at once and something clicked in my head that has never turned off. The rumble of that motor echoing of the brick wall of the school building reverberated in my soul. It was something very primitive that I was not aware of until that moment in time. The starting of that ingnition lit a flame of desire and obsession that has possessed me ever since. I ended up getting a ride home from school that day with him and I'll never forget that first experience. The sound, The way the cowl hood shook, The feeling of power. My need for speed was like an addiction to crack from that moment on. Much to the dismay of my parents and later my wife, I have been obsessed with camaros and other muscle cars ever since. I am now shopping for my third camaro. I have had a 78 Z28 with a 383 stroker and a 01 SS. Now I am looking for that special first generation. I'll let you know how the search goes.

Last edited by rokr; 10-21-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Mid
On The Tree

Yeah, another new guy. I started to love it when my brother got an 01 camaro. I looked at the V8 models, the Z-28 and trans am, and i loved them. I still dont have an LS1 but am looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: How I became a Camaro guy.... You??